• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Half yearly exams, study from now? (1 Viewer)

muscleman09

HSC
Hey guys, some of you may have already has you half yearlies, but mine are in approx 5-6 weeks, well, the 1st day back at school next term is my 1st exam... English. Do you think that in about 1-2 weeks of completing all notes/ syllabus note taking for all subjects, and then the remainder of the weeks till half yearly of consistent study as well as the 2 weeks holiday of extreme study... that is sufficient amount of preparation for the exams?

Just wanted to know, from when did you guys that have already done your minis or half yearly examinations, did you think you started to late? Just some advice on some sort of time frame would be great...
Basically... is 5ish weeks sufficient enough to come out of the exams with a smile on my face?

cheers!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
No amount of time is sufficient enough to come out of exams with a smile :(
But yeah 5 weeks is pretty good. But remember: quality over quantity.

joben

HSC
5 weeks is decent - u should be able to get high ranks if u work efficiently.

Last edited:

ChrisCryptic

HSC
Mine start the 30th and im only really getting into the swing of things now. You have plenty of time.

Venetiad

HSC
Depends on how well you soak up information.

I've only done mediocre (70's across the board except in Physics), I left study to days before the test. Honestly, you could do pretty well with two weeks of study imo.

muscleman09

HSC
5 weeks is decent - u should be able to get high ranks if u work efficiently.
yeh thats what im planning and hopefully will get :D

i wanna be in the top 15 for everything and top 5 for general maths and english especially, after my half yearlies =)

Just hope i can keep up a solid consistency of study through the next month and a bit.

Any suggestions in the amount of subjects per day? I know your suppose to focus on your weaker subjects first, then on to stronger ones, but would anyone recommend 2 hours a day for every subject? <---( during the holidays that is) For me that would be 12 hours of study :S sounds like over load, or would you burn out within a couple of days doing that...?

Anyone got some noiiice ideas, time management wise per subject?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Don't procrastinate. I have an English essay due tomorrow. That I just started. Wtf am I doing here?

muscleman09

HSC
and i just started studying for the half yearlies :eek:

damn i should hav started earlier ...... its on 23rd

oh no :S goodluck mate!

Remember Redbull, V, No Doz are your best friends for the next 2 weeks or so :D

Just a question of topic, does anyone school have like a year 12 camp?

The day my Half Yearlies finish, we set of on the 'Year 12 Retreat', for 3 days... just wondering if anyone had anything similar? They've placed it there for us as a sort of reward for our "hard work" and "intense effort" i quote from our year coordinator... anyone got something similar?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't procrastinate. I have an English essay due tomorrow. That I just started. Wtf am I doing here?
LOL... im not in year 12 but I have an essay due tomorrow too :S ... just started (1000 words!)

You can tell that English isn't my favorite subject lol, if it was I would've been done by now!

On Topic: 5 weeks is plenty of time to score in the high 90's (depends on your school, and the difficulty of exams), even enough to come first if you put in that planned 12 hours, so don't waste time and saying.. "i'll do it in an hour" or "I'll start as soon as its 11am" because that will make you waste your time..

Good luck!

(My exams in 2 weeks *cry*)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
^ those subjects are setting u up for a very good UAI. how are you ranked in yr 11?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
^ those subjects are setting u up for a very good UAI. how are you ranked in yr 11?
hmm.. we havn't had any formal exams that count or anything yet... but overall im doing alrite.. not as good as I was going for, like i was aiming for 90+ for my first maths exam.. ended up with bout 82-83%...

I was ranked 3rd for that, and eco.. i got 85% which ranked me I think 5th?

I'm trying my best to improve...

Hopefully by the end of of the year 11, i'll be closer to the top :)

Wish me LUCK!

and good luck to you too :)

sannous1

HSC
Hey guys, some of you may have already has you half yearlies, but mine are in approx 5-6 weeks, well, the 1st day back at school next term is my 1st exam... English. Do you think that in about 1-2 weeks of completing all notes/ syllabus note taking for all subjects, and then the remainder of the weeks till half yearly of consistent study as well as the 2 weeks holiday of extreme study... that is sufficient amount of preparation for the exams?

Just wanted to know, from when did you guys that have already done your minis or half yearly examinations, did you think you started to late? Just some advice on some sort of time frame would be great...
Basically... is 5ish weeks sufficient enough to come out of the exams with a smile on my face?

cheers!

ewf my exams r lik in wk 10 and 11 and i just started studying, im sure 5 weeks is more then enough seriouslyy

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
IMO, 2-3 weeks before the exams would be the best time to start prep.
But when I say this, 2-3 weeks of hard work, not just 1 hr a day

Last edited:

hannahcheeseman

HSC
Just a question of topic, does anyone school have like a year 12 camp?

The day my Half Yearlies finish, we set of on the 'Year 12 Retreat', for 3 days... just wondering if anyone had anything similar? They've placed it there for us as a sort of reward for our "hard work" and "intense effort" i quote from our year coordinator... anyone got something similar?

we just had camp and we're finishing our yr 12 exams now.

What your doing sounds likes a good idea. our school had "retreat" a week and a half before exams started which was stupid cause everyone was just studying and it killed the mood.

its also good that u have the holidays

sooo lucky

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

cheers!
5 weeks is ALOT of study..... I did ok with just over a week of study - I even procrastinated.

muscleman09

HSC
hmmm well tomorow is my last assessment, modern :bomb: somebody shoot me... but yeh, i will start making all my notes for all subjects, should take me like.. 1 and a halfish week, (syllabus note taking). It took me like a whole day to do half of WW1.. made me cry.. .then from then on solid study

wooohoooo!!!! btw also guys, are student allowed to have 3 assessments in 1 day??

Last week i had, R.E, VA and english in one day... i almost cried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)