Halp. Subjects. (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
Can't figure out what to drop, so does anyone know off-hand how History Extension scales in comparison with English Ext.2?
I know scaling shouldn't be the determining factor in subject selection, but since I love them all this is the last resort it seems.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Question number 1 care to explain why you want to drop? :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
EE2 > EXT HIST for sure iirc.

Another factor is performance.

nifkeh

HSC
if you do well in historiography then keep hist ext

to me it seems easier than EE2, cuz you got a major project (at my school it's only 2500 words) plus you need to nail the trial exam and external so it isn't too bad

if you're great at doing english and really want to do that major work then keep it but it's more words to write plus you need to keep a log right?and you constantly have to fix it again and again until the end before it's good.

however I think EE2 is a little more subjective in marking than history extension, because in the exam part of it, there's more definite criteria. though I can be wrong

Eg155

HSC
Question number 1 care to explain why you want to drop? :)
Because I have 14 units and the head teacher is on my trail everyday. "Drop something before you crack. Think of the ATAR"
Although I feel as though I can manage if I treat SOR as a negligible subject, like I do.
EE2 > EXT HIST for sure iirc.

Another factor is performance.
I am equally good at both. It's just the exam part of hist ext- may be a bit tedious.

Eg155

HSC
if you do well in historiography then keep hist ext

to me it seems easier than EE2, cuz you got a major project (at my school it's only 2500 words) plus you need to nail the trial exam and external so it isn't too bad

if you're great at doing english and really want to do that major work then keep it but it's more words to write plus you need to keep a log right?and you constantly have to fix it again and again until the end before it's good.

however I think EE2 is a little more subjective in marking than history extension, because in the exam part of it, there's more definite criteria. though I can be wrong
True, true.
Yeah the word limit is greater for EE2, but I'm doing speeches so it's pretty much all in the delivery (5 page speech irrc).
There's so much reading it's ridiculous though.

Hist. ext seems to be harder. It's all so philosophical.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
Doesn't mean you should drop but you are coping?
Idk. Have pulled 3/4 all nighters already.
I do recall staying up until 4.30am on a sunday morning doing engrish.
So in the long term it's probably not going to work.

enoilgam

HSC
From what I can remember, EE2 scales better than Extension History, especially in the 90's. I would go with the subject you are strongest and most comfortable with out of the two. If it is a dead heat, then I would look at the scaling.

nifkeh

HSC
It seems you lean towards EE2 more, because it's slightly easier though lots of work to prepare for, but if you favour it more and don't really hate working for it like "oh noes it's engrish... I'll do it later" then I guess you should stick with it and drop history extension.

you are doing visual arts as well... is the amount of work for that anywhere near EE2?

history extension is really philosophical as you say, I mainly didn't do it because of the major work lol, hate assignments. but anyway, if you feel that it is easier to bomb out in than in EE2, by all means stick with EE2 :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Note: If you are behind in a subject (Not saying you are) there is plenty of time to catch up in the Summer holidays. But if you feel something is weighing you down then you may wanna drop it. I waited until after HYs to drop to 10 units.

Eg155

HSC
It seems you lean towards EE2 more, because it's slightly easier though lots of work to prepare for, but if you favour it more and don't really hate working for it like "oh noes it's engrish... I'll do it later" then I guess you should stick with it and drop history extension.

you are doing visual arts as well... is the amount of work for that anywhere near EE2?

history extension is really philosophical as you say, I mainly didn't do it because of the major work lol, hate assignments. but anyway, if you feel that it is easier to bomb out in than in EE2, by all means stick with EE2 :)
Yeah, as much as I loveee history it's probably going to get the boot.

Definitely not. Visual arts is a lot more work than anything, think along the lines of chemistry. Makes little sense in terms of scaling but I guess it depends on the school and the medium opted to work in.
I am doing 3 ceramics pieces. It took one entire year working until last day of term four in year 10 to complete and fire one simple form.
VA takes up my study periods, soon after school, weekends, holidays. It's different if you did photography, they can take their stuff home.
+ the art diary has to be continually updated + art history and criticism which is pretty much just another 1u of history.

Yeah, the major= lesser word limit- so much to pack in.
Thankyou for your help :)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is it out of EE2 and His Ext may I ask Eggie? (I know VA is a lock for you, and obvs Modern to keep doing ext), are you doing super well in all your 2 unit subjects?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sure you can't keep both? Time management often works real wonders.

14 units is no biggie - I did 14, and actually did 16 for a term and that was only slightly disconcerting in terms of the workload level. But that's just me.

Eg155

HSC
I thought we already discussed this :)
Did we? Lol. Did we decide on hist ext?
Why is it out of EE2 and His Ext may I ask Eggie? (I know VA is a lock for you, and obvs Modern to keep doing ext), are you doing super well in all your 2 unit subjects?
I have no 2u subject to drop. :( bio chem adv, modern and art, keepers. it's the 1units :L

14 units is no biggie - I did 14, and actually did 16 for a term and that was only slightly disconcerting in terms of the workload level. But that's just me.
Bro, did you do 3 majors?...

Siddy123

HSC

diduevenatar?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Bro, did you do 3 majors?...
i had one, but then again i had other very work intensive maths units as well - and more units to boot

thought they'd be comparable.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I'm doing both History ext. and 4U English... tbh the workload isn't as bad as it may sound... it's just time management. For 4U English, I like to dedicate at least 3-4 hrs a week for writing and drafting while also catching up with any set work. For Hist. ext i dedicate about 3hrs for since its mainly making good notes and gaining a good insight of the concepts and such while also managing a science (-.-') and modern + ancient

It isn't too bad, but you have to like it :D

Bobbo1

HSC
I'm doing both History ext. and 4U English... tbh the workload isn't as bad as it may sound... it's just time management. For 4U English, I like to dedicate at least 3-4 hrs a week for writing and drafting while also catching up with any set work. For Hist. ext i dedicate about 3hrs for since its mainly making good notes and gaining a good insight of the concepts and such while also managing a science (-.-') and modern + ancient

It isn't too bad, but you have to like it :D
Yep, if you're a humanities/English person then definitely go for it, you got nothing to lose :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)