Halp (1 Viewer)

Kyler-X

HSC
Recently I've been trying to think about what I want to do after school. I've never been able to 100% say that I want to be this or that when I'm older, so I'm asking you, to help me set some goals to aim for.

I looked into being a pilot but in all gayness, I seem to have inherited a bitch of a condition called Colour Blindness -.- So no go there.
I take the following subjects:

* Economics - Absolutely love it.
* Business Studies - Losing interest.
* Ancient History - Love it, but can't see a career in it.
* IPT - I'm into IT, in particular Web Design or Game Design.
* Advanced English - Half/Half, I like some topics, but find it hard to get into others.

Please don't post about me leaving it too late to figure out what I want to do, because I'm not asking for that, I just want to know if anyone who has been in a similar situation and/or takes similar subjects can offer some help.

Thanks in advance ;D.

ccc123

HSC
You haven't left it until too late. Considering you enjoy economics, have you considered a uni degree in economics/buisness or economics/law? Since you enjoy Ancient History, you could also have histiry as an elective in uni, but your right, there is limited jobs there.

Career-wise, if you like IT, i would recommend getting into that, because its a booming industry and there is good money there.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
do a combined it/economics degree.
that could lead to working for an economist business as an IT member

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Eh, i have no idea what to do fo r uni. go me. for a career even.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Assumed knowledge Mathematics for a an economic degree at uni.
But i guess you could always take a bridging course.

Kyler-X

HSC
Thanks alot, I really like the idea of some of these suggestions :D

@ Zrap: The economics we do right now only involves simple mathematics that I'm pretty sure someone in Year 8 could do :p But it'll prolly get harder.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
ccc123 said:
Are you sure? Someone I know is doinf economics/law as said there's no maths.
Pretty sure, well i guess it also depends on what
University your applying for, they might set different assumed knowledge etc

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Coincidentally and quite fortunately I read the SMH for yesterday which included a separate booklet 'Survival Guide for freshmen/women or st' and there's a small article on how to choose a course and what is a commonplace pressure pressed on school-leavers and which is a common mistake met when choosing a course.

It is said that people tend to look at the courses' requirements as a measurement or indicator of that course's difficulty. As a matter of fact, the UAIs required are to show how desperately a course wants to have many students and which doesnot. So by the end of the day, we'd better listen to our guts but not any other bystanders' ideas.

An anecdotal paragraph told about an 100 UAI girl who decided to do Bachelor of science (advanced Maths) instead of Law or Medicine. *Cough* I won't do like her *cough* but it gives you the idea of a fairy-tale-regarded-but-not-anymore situation of some people give up their privileges to follow their dreams.

I suppose you yourself think of what you want to do so badly, imagine how boring things can turn out. For example, I can't stand sitting days in days out in a room with a mountainous pile of papers, surrounded by some nonstop ringing phones or blah blah blah. Anything involved in business can end up giving you that scenario. I guess it's not your type.
Being a doctor, I can't bear seeing blood and stuff so I'd better avoid it rather than have a misfortune of fainting in the surgery room.
Being a pro-traveller, you can go as many places as a pilot can but financial trouble is anywhere near.
Being a lawyer give you a chance to become so-called a phony (better than a prostitute politician)
Being a scientist, an astronaut (yes yes yes), a veterinarian, a journalist (you do IPT and advanced English, right? And economics can be applied when you are promoted to a higher position!) Tempting?

crazathiest

HSC
I guess you can become an accountant or something if you're interested in economics. Or live a life in the stockmarket..hmm plunge. Only kidding, I don't really have the right answer as I have the same problem myself. :(

English Standard: Really starting to like it, developing skills and such.
General Maths: Dislike it and am falling in marks each time. Need to fix that.
IPT: Don't hate it, but it's quite dull. I may be able to scrape through though.
Modern History: I like it, looking forward to the next topic (Hitler)
Legal Studies: Love it.

I have no clue of what to do either. Only interests I have are to be a writer of some sort, anything to do with law (doesn't have to be a lawyer) and long term I would like to try acting of some sort.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Well, you have enough credits and interests to do Law. English, Legal Studies, History...you'd better choose Law.

crazathiest

HSC
I'm going to sort out what I want to do in the future soon, looking up stuff/researching what I need etc.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I knew it ages ago, mind you. lolz

Last edited:

Kyler-X

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Being a scientist, an astronaut (yes yes yes), a veterinarian, a journalist (you do IPT and advanced English, right? And economics can be applied when you are promoted to a higher position!) Tempting?
Astronaut! :D
I wouldn't mind the idea of journalism :) Maybe an economics journalist :D

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Oh com'on. Then you'll write some articles for the Business section of SMH? That's boring. I mean real journalism. Maybe traditional a bit...um, how about crime, murder, massacre, racism, war and so on? As thrilling as possible. I can't find many impressive articles on such topics. (What I mean in specific is feature article or so). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)