Hamlet/ Rosencrutz and Guildenstern? (1 Viewer)

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
Is no one doing this transformation...??
We are and it is actually easier than i thought it would be

nomz

i did it last year... thought it was awesome! it was my strongest module...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
yeh i'm doing it.. it's quite an interesting module.. i especially admire the fact that tom stoppards transformation is short... but what is truly eye catching in my opinion is the humour included in the transformation where R and G exchange quick remarks... that most of the time make no sence but still add humour...

oh and the beginning (i.e coin flipping... ).. it seems to be pointless.. but in reality there is a deep meaning.. which only each individual can interpret in their own mindful way......

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
geezz ur smarter than me :p hhaha... the coin flipping is pointlessly funny... heads over 90 times in a row?? comeon... lol ... interesting transformation... but there was no point playing heads and tales... somewhere it says it is a double heads coin :S Then in other parts it says it was a tales... meh... haven't finished R and G yet.... think i'll fail english

ishq

brown?
HSC
chooky_girl26 said:
geezz ur smarter than me :p hhaha... the coin flipping is pointlessly funny... heads over 90 times in a row?? comeon... lol ... interesting transformation... but there was no point playing heads and tales... somewhere it says it is a double heads coin :S Then in other parts it says it was a tales... meh... haven't finished R and G yet.... think i'll fail english
We just started Hamlet a few weeks ago.
I finished reading R/G a few days back - It was funny, and i got the connections, but I have a feeling its going to be really hard to study. Its going to be a difficult genre to explain.
Argh! Stress!
:)

physician

HSC
chooky_girl26 said:

lol.. yeh i understand what u mean, but don't u think that were a point is not obvious.. a point can be invented....

heads and tails.. question the philosphy and fact behind probabilty.... probabilty is not factual at all.... it is the most likely sequence of the occurance of an event.. or the chance that a certain event may occur... and how many times it may occur...

ok.. let me try and make a moral behind the story of the coin tossing...

well the probabilty of tossing a coin and having it land on either heads or tales is 1:1.... now as u mentioned "heads over 90 times in a row"... this could be connected to a barrier... a wall... a wall present in Robert Frost's poem "Mending wall".. which u may have studied in the preliminary course...

Anyways... this barrier or wall is more of a test of fate.. a test of chance.. its more of a change that the human may undertake by consistent experimentation... if Ros and Guil did not perform the coin tossing... they would have not tested the philisophy behind probability....

The chances that were taken by Ros?...( I think Ros was lossing the coin toss.. im not quite sure).... familiraisies with our every day lives... if Ros had not had a firm belief in the probability of the coin landing as a tail or a head as being 1:1... and if he saw that it wasnt fact rather it was merely a form of chance based on fact...(i.e the coin having two faces).... he may have not proceeded in playing the game.. seing as though he appeared to be having a lifeless day....where Ros and Guil may have never known that 90 heads in a row was even close to possible...

Now what hamlet does.. is experiment with the likeliness of probailty also...
in the scene "the mouse trap".... now theres a probability that his victim will feel guilt.. and run out of the theatre screaming (reffering to 2000 film version of Hamlet).... now his victim could have merely played the role of an innocent husband....doing his part in keeping the family together (i.e marrying the Queen)...
but instead he runs out of the theatre gasping for air... so similarly to the chance that was taken by Ros and Guil Hamlet also takes this chance and proves the philosphy behind probability to have the capabilty of being tested... it is merely taking that chance were we discover whether manipulation may overtake probailty based on fact.

As i stated above:
"where Ros and Guil may have never known that 90 heads in a row was even close to possible..."

Now, this can all be related back to psychology.. which allows the transformation to take place...
The human psychlogy is rather complex but it merely takes simple thinking and logic to manipulate the human thought...

we could say that Tom stoppard takes a major concept in Hamlet and formulates it into a game of chance.. which appears to have no meaning...

I could go on all day attempting to make relations and comparrisons.... although many would disagree.. but that is where probability may prove itself inaccuarte.... because every human judgement may differ... it's merely how, where and why they coincide with each other which allows transformations to take place...

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Certainly there's that, but in a nutshell, the notion of existentialism and Absurdist Theatre comes into play muchly. Why the heck would anyone spend pages on a coin-flipping game in an already-short play? And why is the match so one-sided?

physician

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Certainly there's that, but in a nutshell, the notion of existentialism and Absurdist Theatre comes into play muchly. Why the heck would anyone spend pages on a coin-flipping game in an already-short play? And why is the match so one-sided?
yes.. exactly.... my next set task is just about that... (existentialism and Absurdist Theatre)....

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
Nice to know ur all smart... cept me... i don't understand anything.. :( .... i need help.. hamlet is an easy play to understand tho... we just got task.... taking a scence and modenisin :S then a speach... i am gonna fail i can tell

physician

HSC
chooky_girl26 said:
Nice to know ur all smart... cept me... i don't understand anything.. :( .... i need help.. hamlet is an easy play to understand tho... we just got task.... taking a scence and modenisin :S then a speach... i am gonna fail i can tell
why do u think ur going to fail?... have u seen the 2000 version of Hamlet....
it should give u a really impressive view of how you may transform a text or a scene... by modernising the scene... do u mean on paper as a script?... or is it a performance task...

as most of us do these days... we spend 1 week thinking of how we will tackle an assessment.. we spend 1 week to gather and process our ideas.. and it takes us 1 day to actually do our assessment...(lol.. well at least thats how it works with me)....

smart?.... lol... don't be fooled by words lol... (note: i am speaking on my behalf.. and not on behalf of anyone who has posted in this thread)...

HSC
N/A
I'd also like to say that I did my HSC last year :D

Transformations was my worst module ever. I fully thought I was going to fail... I really think that decent essay structure and frantic practice-essay writing saved me.

Oh, and sparknotes, talking to people who actually DO get the module (most people tend to fall into the categories of getting it or not getting it at all), study guides... :D

physician

HSC
glitterfairy said:
I'd also like to say that I did my HSC last year :D

Transformations was my worst module ever. I fully thought I was going to fail... I really think that decent essay structure and frantic practice-essay writing saved me.

Oh, and sparknotes, talking to people who actually DO get the module (most people tend to fall into the categories of getting it or not getting it at all), study guides... :D
By the way... how were ur english marks?...from what i recall.. u went pritty good in EE2....

yeh.. i totally agree... about the categories... however i think i would fit into the median categorie....

HSC
N/A
I got Band 6 for Eng Advanced, Band 4 for EE1 and EE2 ended up with a mark of 41 or so out of 50 (internal - 46 (band 4), external - 36 or so I think (Band... 2?), but EE2 is pretty subjective so we'll ignore that for now :)

Oh and physician, if you even have a clue about transformations now, you'll be fiiiiiinneee for the rest of the year. So long as you keep working at this pace I gleefully put you into the "getting it" category :D Although if you really want, we can create a file, just for you... lol

ishq

brown?
HSC
You know, its funny, i just read Physician's 'attempt to make relations and comparisions' and realised - that shakespeare might have meant that scene to have no such philospphocal consequence whatsoever.
English is so - illogical - we try to find symbols and metaphorical meanings and motifs for things which might never have existed.
Robert Frost might just have been talking about a road, JUST A ROAD, and strolling down it. And we, the eager english students can write four page essays finding 'meaning' of 16 lines. (at least i can :) )

*sigh* Pointless

Sorry, Ive just been working on one of my related texts, searching frantically for qoutes which 'mean something' and i needed to ramble.
Im done!

HSC
N/A
Not Shakespeare, Stoppard, and welcome to the wonderful world of Absurdist Theatre :D

I get what you mean about analysing things that may not be there though. We had a lovely long debate about this once in class. In the end, we lost... get over the HSC, and then you never have to touch the subject again :D

ishq

brown?
HSC
a sea of 240 days filled with exams and assessments separates me and that moment...:D

HSC
yeah, this was definitely my best module. seriously - just make a list of the themes and techniques in each one, know them REALLY well, and you should be able to handle pretty much any question they throw at you.

especially how the context (ie modern in r&g/elizabethan in hamlet) affected how each story developed and the audiences' response. the markers love that.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a writing task... I wasn't doing well in english last yr... not doing well this year... i don't no why... The task has 3 bits to it.. one is to create a dramatic script... the second is question to expllore the transformation and the third is a speech. I have been thinking... i'm already over the 1000 word limit.. lol... i need to fix it dramatically... but could i have a character saying another characters lines or would that not be true to the character originally created by Shakespeare? I wanted to use the clowns... as they bring out death and make hamlet relise that death is the end... just don't no how.. i amean it is ophelias burriel... and i can't just start from where they come in because if it was alone no one would understand it so i need a monolouge or something spoken by one of the clowns about ophelias death... i'm so going to fail this task,... some help please !!

ishq

brown?
HSC
glitterfairy said:
and then, blissful bludginess :D

I wish you well on your journey :D
Journey!
argh!!!

*blocks ears at the sound of the horrific word*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)