Hamlet- Textual Integrity Question (1 Viewer)

JigglyJims

HSC
Hey Guys,

I really need some help writing the textual integrity style questions for Hamlet, e.g.
"What will continue to make Hamlet worthy of critical study?"

"Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place. Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your cirtical interpretation of the prescribed text"

'That every text has its use by date", argue this point.

I have no idea how to answer these questions, what kind of stuff do I talk about.

Thanks guys in advance.

moshi.bum

HSC
I suppose the best way to attack these questions is to show how the text is relevant to today (it's easier to argue in favour of the text being timeless, etc. than against it). It would be good to look at the play in general then narrow to focus on Hamlet, and how people can still identify with his dilemma today. The overarching argument of the fallibility of human nature is always a good way to go, because you can talk about how the play gives timeless insight into the core condition of humanity.

ashleighjade

HSC
I agree with moshi.bum, but ...
A good way to attack thse type of questions is to discuss the themes/ideas apparent in Hamlet and their relevance to cotemporary society. Not all themes will be still relevant, or indeed, some may be relevant in an entirely different light. Such as the whole ordeal between Claudius, Hammie's dear old mum and Hamlet (that whole incest bit O.O) ...
Also you need to discuss Hamlet's "textual integrity" (something to always be included regardless of the question), and YOUR understanding of Hamlet. I suppose understanding-interpretation ... same thing? :S
Remember the questions are leaving everything open, so discuss both sides! List the pros and cons of Hamlet (in detail, obviously), consistently link back to question/textual integrity/your understanding, and finally make an informed decision as to whether you agree or disagree with questions, etc. :)

Hope that made sense.
Best of luck with your Hammie essays! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)