hamlet (1 Viewer)

rebeka94

HSC
does anyone have any advice on how to write a generic essay for Hamlet, which can be applied to any question?

thanks

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
It's by far the most difficult one to do in HSC English.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No essay can be applied to -every- single question and be expected to do well.

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
My generic Hamlet essay focuses on 3 ideas in the text not themes as such. It shouldn't be to hard to develop a thesis that relates ideas to a question as it's worked for me twice so far.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Off topic a bit, but For my preparation, im creating paragraphs for each idea/theme within each module. If i were to get my teacher to mark, and feedback them, then with these improved paragraphs look at various questions for each module, and see how i can shape and answer them. Would this be adequate preperation?

Sorry, its just my teacher is useless as tits on a fish. So i have to ask on here a lot.

yours

HSC
My generic Hamlet essay focuses on 3 ideas in the text not themes as such. It shouldn't be to hard to develop a thesis that relates ideas to a question as it's worked for me twice so far.
Do you define 'Revenge' as an idea or a theme ...?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Off topic a bit, but For my preparation, im creating paragraphs for each idea/theme within each module. If i were to get my teacher to mark, and feedback them, then with these improved paragraphs look at various questions for each module, and see how i can shape and answer them. Would this be adequate preperation?

Sorry, its just my teacher is useless as tits on a fish. So i have to ask on here a lot.
Yeah, it's a lot better than what OP is suggesting.

fakermaker

HSC
I've been preparing notes based around different ideas:

1 - themes

2- Characterization - focusing on Hamlet's personality

3- context: Elizabethan and modern day readings...

A lot of the themes cross into Hamlet's personality and past/present readings of the play so its pretty easy to link

D94

HSC
N/A
Sure there isn't one to answer each question, but there can be ways around it. My English teacher is a HSC marker, and one year they came across this "fantastic" essay, but did little to answer the question. So the head marker told them if it was that "superb", then it deserves a 19/20 or 20/20, even though it didn't answer the question. So if you write a superb generic essay, there is a chance that it will be marked on its merits rather than its demerits, the obvious one being not answering the question.

But to write one, you're going to have to address each core theme in a sophisticated manner, and of course have critics.

sinsolja

HSC
Sure there isn't one to answer each question, but there can be ways around it. My English teacher is a HSC marker, and one year they came across this "fantastic" essay, but did little to answer the question. So the head marker told them if it was that "superb", then it deserves a 19/20 or 20/20, even though it didn't answer the question. So if you write a superb generic essay, there is a chance that it will be marked on its merits rather than its demerits, the obvious one being not answering the question.

But to write one, you're going to have to address each core theme in a sophisticated manner, and of course have critics.
no, no, no , NO!
what your saying could not be more wrong!

there is absolutely no way a HSC marker would give a 19+/20 for an essay which doesnt answer the question.If it doesnt answer the question it doesnt deserve more then a 12/20, and that is universally known by all teachers. Your telling me I get a professional to write a 'superb' essay and no matter what just copy it out and expect a very high mark.Wont happen. Im sorry but if that teacher ever did do that, she should be let go immediately.
Anyone can write a "superb" essay that doesn't answer the question, so im sorry but what your saying is misleading.

D94

HSC
N/A
no, no, no , NO!
what your saying could not be more wrong!

there is absolutely no way a HSC marker would give a 19+/20 for an essay which doesnt answer the question.If it doesnt answer the question it doesnt deserve more then a 12/20, and that is universally known by all teachers. Your telling me I get a professional to write a 'superb' essay and no matter what just copy it out and expect a very high mark.Wont happen. Im sorry but if that teacher ever did do that, she should be let go immediately.
Anyone can write a "superb" essay that doesn't answer the question, so im sorry but what your saying is misleading.
I'm not promoting it, I'm just saying HSC markers can mark on merit over demerit. This is the head HSC marker consulting all English HSC markers for at least that section for that year. And what credentials do you have to prove what you've just said is what HSC markers should do? I might only be providing anecdotes, but I have no hidden agenda to mislead people. What I'm saying is definitely not misleading; if anyone wants to copy out a generic essay, it'd better be superb or it will be marked heavily down.

sinsolja

HSC
What i said isn't what HSC markers should do , its what they do, and what they have been doing over the last 10 years. I'm not saying your attempting to mislead people however ,what your implying is that a person could copy out an excellent essay which doesn't answer the question and do well, which is most definitely incorrect. Even if it was the most brilliant essay in the world, and it doesn't answer the question, it will not get higher then a low band 5 in the HSC. HSC English doesn't test your ability to memorize a fantastic essay it tests your ability to use your knowledge to answer different questions. Whatever the head HSC marker said is incorrect and if a section was ever marked depending on how good the essay was not wether it answered the question or not would cause chaos, and the teacher would be let go immediately, it does not take ay credentials to know that. Im sure anyone would agree that you could have the best essay ever made , but if it didnt answer the question it will not do well. At least for the HSC.

D94

HSC
N/A
I agree with you in that an essay which doesn't answer the question shouldn't get a Band 6 result, but it doesn't deter the fact that it can happen, and it has happened. How would you know what happens at Homebush? It's all speculation without proof. My English teacher, being a HSC marker, could give you hundreds of anecdotes from behind the closed doors at Homebush. Do remember that they are the ones who determine what you get; it does take credentials to mark your essay, and give you that mark at the end of the day. Anyway, I'm not here to debate; whilst I agree with you, I certainly believe my English teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)