Hamlet (1 Viewer)

Beachtraveller

HSC
I didnt discuss the quote at all or mention fortinbras
Do you think i will be marked down as it didn't even mention the quote in the question?

SpreadTheWord

HSC
No. I didn't use it as well. I only mentioned Forty when referencing a critic, in stating how leaving him out prevents any distractions to Hamlet in pursuit for Revenge, and then talked about the consequences of his quest, elicited through the scene (im assuming in the scene, there were dead bodies, because it was confusing). Anyway don't worry its over now; there's nothing you can do. Just look ahead and smash your other exams.

Jongnie

HSC
"like a soldier" = hamlet that's all i used, btw .. I kinda just wrote about Hamlet's soliloquey and how he transformed throughout his journey to the ending scene , didn't really mention the other characters LOL .. i think ima get marked down ):

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
It depends.

It did say your personal response to the closing scene.

But some reference would of course be ideal in answering the question....

Last edited:

Beachtraveller

HSC
I thought as it said closing scenes, not scene, I didnt have to mention the very last excerpt. I hope its okay!

yours

HSC
all I used from it was "the simile of 'like a soldier'" to show.. I can't even remember. It had something to do with noble revenge.

Also, note that is said "Make detailed reference to Hamlet" - this does not say "make detailed reference to the closing scenes"! You were supposed to use the final scene to give a slant to your thesis, then show how it works with the rest of the play.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
I'd say you would have to provide your interpretation/perspective of that closing scene in order to answer the question as it asks for "your response to the closing scenes of Hamlet".

Beachtraveller

HSC
but the excerpt isnt the whole closing scene, it is just the last few lines. i think i will be fine

Glorious

HSC
I'd say you would have to provide your interpretation/perspective of that closing scene in order to answer the question as it asks for "your response to the closing scenes of Hamlet".
To the closing scenes of Hamlet, yeah, but not specifically that one....

khfreakau

HSC
the hamlet question was far more reasonable than some others, i thought.

katoji

HSC
all I used from it was "the simile of 'like a soldier'" to show.. I can't even remember. It had something to do with noble revenge.

Also, note that is said "Make detailed reference to Hamlet" - this does not say "make detailed reference to the closing scenes"! You were supposed to use the final scene to give a slant to your thesis, then show how it works with the rest of the play.
Started to get a bit freaked out until I read this.

Thank you! That's what I did. I didn't even quote the excerpt provided...because tells you to make a response to the closing SCENES and not the scene in question. I think they just put that quote there to either throw students off, or to help inspire an idea/thesis. I just wrote an idea about the final scenes of the play and then used that as a basis of a thematic study.

Last edited:

Glorious

HSC

Thank you! That's what I did. I didn't even quote the excerpt provided...because tells you to make a response to the closing SCENES and not the scene in question. I think they just put that quote there to either throw students off, or to help inspire an idea/thesis. I just wrote an idea about the final scenes of the play and then used that as a basis of a thematic study.
Exactly what I did too.

bigbirdbanana

HSC

This is exactly what I did! Except I did refer to the simile "Bear Hamlet like a soldier to the stage" for dramatic irony because he wasn't able to act decisively like a soldier and was much more adept to acting (madness etc). But other than that I essentially looked at what I perceived the main themes to be, discussed why they are important by exploring the rest of the play, then examined their treatment in the final scenes/how these scenes enable these themes to be shown.

acemusic415

HSC
I talked predominantly about his death as Fortinbras was essentially talking about his death and related it to his madness (appearance vs. reality) and theme of the human condition.

Beachtraveller

HSC
I talked about:
Revenge - tension between thought vs action in Hamlet's differentiation from the conventional avenger role within revenge tragedies in whole play which is juxtaposed to his violent and active murder of Claudius in the last scene
Death and afterlife - uncertainty pertaining to both and how his confrontation with Yorick's skull in the last scene provides for his resigning the fate of human mortality with divine Providence
And that the final acts treatment of both these issues shapes my understanding that the whole play's action is driven by Hamlet's struggle to shape his identity within his ambiguous and uncertain world and within the final scene, Hamlet's action within both these themes is resolved

Last edited:

Glorious

HSC
This is exactly what I did! Except I did refer to the simile "Bear Hamlet like a soldier to the stage" for dramatic irony because he wasn't able to act decisively like a soldier and was much more adept to acting (madness etc). But other than that I essentially looked at what I perceived the main themes to be, discussed why they are important by exploring the rest of the play, then examined their treatment in the final scenes/how these scenes enable these themes to be shown.
Exactly my point! LOL.

Great minds think alike :D

Glorious

HSC
I talked about:
Revenge - tension between thought vs action in Hamlet's differentiation from the conventional avenger role within revenge tragedies in whole play which is juxtaposed to his violent and active murder of Claudius in the last scene
Death and afterlife - uncertainty pertaining to both and how his confrontation with Yorick's skull in the last scene provides for his resigning the fate of human mortality with divine Providence
And that the final acts treatment of both these issues shapes my understanding that the whole play's action is driven by Hamlet's struggle to shape his identity within his ambiguous and uncertain world and within the final scene, Hamlet's action within both these themes is resolved
Also what I did! Sense of relief.

katoji

HSC
Was what I wrote too simplistic?Would I lose marks here?
I basically said that Fortinbras's arrival, as an outsider, signified the end of the play - by being untainted by corruption, the place therefore resolves itself as there is no more dilemma.
Then I went on to say that this idea conveyed that Hamlet was pivoted around the theme of corruption, and it was its driving force. And then I talked about sub-themes that conveyed this: chain of being, incest, death at the end of the play

EDIT: What I mean to say was, is my thesis/evidence too superficial?

Last edited:

yours

HSC
Was what I wrote too simplistic?Would I lose marks here?
I basically said that Fortinbras's arrival, as an outsider, signified the end of the play - by being untainted by corruption, the place therefore resolves itself as there is no more dilemma.
Then I went on to say that this idea conveyed that Hamlet was pivoted around the theme of corruption. And then I talked about sub-themes that conveyed this: chain of being, incest, death at the end of the play
disease/death/decay/poison motif culminates in their 'death by poison' so an effective metaphor for corruption - that is how I linked the final scene to the theme of corruption, though it took me some time to write out the developing 'disease' of corruption throughout the play and then show the final scene bringing it to a head and resolving the issue, also am kicking myself for not mentioning "i am sick at heart" or the "unweeded garden"... I had a bunch of other ones but these ones are so obvious and I forgot them! But that's a 40 minute exam for you, you can't put everything in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)