• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Handling failure and lack of motivation (1 Viewer)

Nerissa

S'up everyone! Just came back from seeing 'Van Helsing' with my little sister - it's pretty ordinary, no plot to speak of and the special effects leave a lot to be desired. I give it a 3/10, and that's only because I think Hugh Jackman is hot!! My advice: wait for it on video.
SPORTSGAL ----> What is with your avie ;)? Isn't that cool that we have the same motivational quote? We received lots of similar quotes at this Year 12 meeting we had at the end of last term - I've got a couple of ones by JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr...can't find them, will post them up as soon as I locate them in the ground zero that is my study room. I am sooooo glad you got extra motivated at parent / teacher - at our school, students are not allowed to attend, so we miss out on this. Am really happy for you - maybe you should write some of the most beneficial / motivational comments down so you remember them in times of crisis (like trials and HSC). Good on you doing your 4u maths work - I do 3u and I've just started doing all the exercises my tutor has given me for Applications of Calculus to the Physical World - Corroneos, Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, Couchman, list goes on. What stuff have you been doing? Hope it is going well, you are understanding it and getting all the answers right. I agree, avoiding burnout is CRITICAL - I worked all through the holidays, would have done +50 hours, and then stayed home all first week of term to get this massive English assessment finished, would have done 40 + hours...In short, I'm really sick of studying, and am spending 10 hours tomorrow revising for Ancient History assessment worth 25% on Tuesday. But Sunday I'll have a break for Mothers Day and will do about 6 - 8 hours on Monday (no school for me again!). I'm really glad I helped you and that my words had some meaning for you!! Best wishes for whatever assessments you have coming up!
WOHZAZZ ----> Funny you say I'm a good debater / public speaker, I have never done either of these activities in my life, but I am School Captain, which requires me to make speeches - however, because I am a bit of a rebel, I make them humourous: for example, at Year 7 2005 orientation night, I made an American Pie joke in my address to the parents (this one time, at band camp...) And I am coming 1st out of 130 for English, which is ironic because I HATE it, it takes me so long to think of ideas and then express them properly - I would not be doing English if it was not compulsory - and this makes the people who are coming 2nd - 10th and doing 4U English really pissed off! I agree with you - upbringing and school are not key factors in preparing for HSC. As I said, I go to a crappy Catholic with the worst teachers, and some girl last year got 99.95 - it's all about independent learning (which can be supplemented by tutors): you have just as much of a chance as getting 100 as anyone at James Ruse or Sydney Boys / Girls (did you know...I got into Sydney Girls for Year 7 after sitting the test, but I passed up my place?). Don't give up. How are things going for you work / motivation wise? Love to hear about any successes and your ongoing difficulties. We can all help each other out. This thread is feeling quite cosy already - we should keep it going. I am aiming about 99.6 as well, as I want to do B Commerce (majoring in Actuarial Studies) / B Arts at Macquarie Uni...I'll never get it, but it's nice to dream.
EVERYONE ---> Let's keep the kind words and support coming: "caring is sharing". Have a great weekend!

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
damn... 7 hour / day average.
I can probably keep that up on my stuvac, but not on normal holidays. Inspirational...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
damn... 7 hour / day average.
I can probably keep that up on my stuvac, but not on normal holidays. Inspirational...
7hrs a day, during STUVAC I will probably be doing 3 :(, if I'm lucky.

Giant Lobster

HSC
dw i plan to do heaps cos im not a 'quality study' person. i just brute force subliminal learning techniques n training speed by doin past papers n stuff. 2.5 - 3 hrs each, 2 papers / day + some theory readin... that should consist of one stuvac day.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
never aim for the hours... i know ppl who' were like
"how many hours u do?"
"8"
"damn i only do 6"
last year and many of them didnt do that well. cuz u r doing it as a task and ur brain would b dead. same as studyplans... they inevitably fail (unless you are some super organised person)

interest is the key, try to develop it, tho faking it could work too, like lying to yourself that u actually enjoy reading about how important to society the australian analytical chemist is. It would certainly make studying alot more efficient. ... so that every 1 and half hours is worth a tasteless 7 hours grind

edit: doing past papers is an exception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)