Hands up if you haven't started studying! (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
f*** uni! Go to work! Real work i'm talking about!
1. Get money
2. Buy stuff
3. Meet people
4.Learn skills by experience and doing a few other courses from OTEN or somewhere.

I got my job lined up. Project manager assistant in a medium sized steel fabrication business! :p
Then...eventually when you guys are just finishing uni. Ill be more like managing my own projects. I'll be better off and hav more experience and be more of an asset to a business.

Rather than a f***n scientist geek who studies stars for 4 years to show own their affecting global warming and predicting the finish of the earth and when we're all gonna die....... ;/
> HSC 2013

Seems to me like your advice is all based on your own future assumptions.

leesh95

HSC
I am seriously dying. God I can't focus on anything. I have been staring at some eco notes for the past hour and nothing seems to sink in. I seriously feel like I am having panic attacks. Can even feel my heart beat going all weird just when I was doing a maths paper this morning.

Candidate

HSC
Yeah yeah true. But seriously...theres more than Uni! Go to a workplace and just hook in! If you can present yourself probably and show some dedication, you'll get much further than spending all those years at uni to come out with a bit of paper.

You can also learn what you want from others such as co-works and supervisors, mean while being paid for it.
Uni>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tafe/apprenticeships any day.

kietkiet

HSC
Yeah yeah true. But seriously...theres more than Uni! Go to a workplace and just hook in! If you can present yourself probably and show some dedication, you'll get much further than spending all those years at uni to come out with a bit of paper.

You can also learn what you want from others such as co-works and supervisors, mean while being paid for it.
Business point of view:

a) Hiring a uni graduate that has all the necessary skills/knowledge to perform the job.

b) Hiring a high school student and spending time/money training them from scratch. Also, who's to say that the high school student will even learn the skills effectively.

IMO, uni degree doesn't guarantee you a job, but it gives you an edge on those without degrees.

Raolan

HSC
All these people throwing around statistics have no idea what they even mean. UWS does not necessarily have a lower employment rate because it's bad, it has a lower employment rate because due to its lower ATAR requirements it will draw in people with less motivation and ambition and who are thus less likely to get a job.

It all comes down to you. If you think that you have to get into ANU or whatever other high ranked university to be successful then you're kidding yourself and I feel sorry for you. It's gonna be a shock when you apply for a job with your fancy degree and are rejected for someone from a worse university but better experience or motivation. Employers look at far more than just where you got your degree. And if you define success as being "the best" then oh dear. Good luck.

EDIT: Dude above me has it. Degrees don't guarantee jobs, no matter where you get them from. They don't necessarily even put you above people without degrees. An employer will take someone without a degree but 10 years of experience in the field over someone with a degree, PhD or whatever else and no experience any day.

What they do guarantee is they put you above someone with similar experience but no degree, and they also raise the starting point for pay.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
All these people throwing around statistics have no idea what they even mean. UWS does not necessarily have a lower employment rate because it's bad, it has a lower employment rate because due to its lower ATAR requirements it will draw in people with less motivation and ambition and who are thus less likely to get a job.

It all comes down to you. If you think that you have to get into ANU or whatever other high ranked university to be successful then you're kidding yourself and I feel sorry for you. It's gonna be a shock when you apply for a job with your fancy degree and are rejected for someone from a worse university but better experience or motivation. Employers look at far more than just where you got your degree. And if you define success as being "the best" then oh dear. Good luck.

EDIT: Dude above me has it. Degrees don't guarantee jobs, no matter where you get them from. They don't necessarily even put you above people without degrees. An employer will take someone without a degree but 10 years of experience in the field over someone with a degree, PhD or whatever else and no experience any day.

What they do guarantee is they put you above someone with similar experience but no degree, and they also raise the starting point for pay.
USYD master race here, anyone want to give me cliffs?

Raolan

HSC
Edit: Only accepting cliffs from Go8 unis, don't trust uws etc with giving reliable cliffs
The cliff is as reliable as you make it.

cwutididthar?

Despite my big wall of text I still won't deny I'd rather go to ANU over any other uni, partly convenience, partly the reputation.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
The cliff is as reliable as you make it.

cwutididthar?

Despite my big wall of text I still won't deny I'd rather go to ANU over any other uni, partly convenience, partly the reputation.
My post was satirical of the elitist attitude lol, I did read all of your post.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
Degrees are next to useless in terms of employment if they're not specifically for the career you want to pursue. A dentist, a doctor, a lawyer all have to get degrees to before they can practise.

If you don't need a degree for your career, then don't waste your time. Andrewh13 makes a fair point, but he's a bit hostile towards universities.

I guess the HSC test is really a practice quiz. The real test lies in honestly knowing what you want to do and pursuing it without giving way to the stream of conformity,

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Degrees are next to useless in terms of employment if they're not specifically for the career you want to pursue. A dentist, a doctor, a lawyer all have to get degrees to before they can practise.

If you don't need a degree for your career, then don't waste your time. Andrewh13 makes a fair point, but he's a bit hostile towards universities.

I guess the HSC test is really a practice quiz. The real test lies in honestly knowing what you want to do and pursuing it without giving way to the stream of conformity,
"The HSC is a character test" - year coordinator

SWH

HSC
Your all making me feel like i'm an idiot lol. If anyone who goes to UWS is a dropkick then what am i :(

Nah, i'm not really interested in university, I'm hopefully going to get an apprenticeship starting next year. Although I could of started a few years ago, I still feel its important to graduate with decent marks on a HSC, never know what lifes gonna bring so its definitely an asset. So many people are aiming for 90+ ATARS best of luck to you, i'm not even getting an ATAR and i'm freaking out lol.

Still have a whole load of PDHPE work to study as well as english paper 2 and some mathematics... regretting maths already

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd like to see some hard statistics on employment rates from the respective Universities before we start calling superiority between universities, saying USYD is better because its old enough to be a failed Hogwarts isn't really a good indicator of quality with respect to the newer UWS (unless statistics prove otherwise)

EDIT: http://myuniversity.gov.au/Universities

UWS: 66.9%
USYD: 73.8%
UNSW: 85.4%

So it does seem that USYD does have around 7% higher employment rates, but UNSW trumps them both it seems
UTS?

nothing wrong with uws... still better uni than UTS ;)

back to the topic at hand I think anyone who says they haven't studied is lying
Bogans?

Band 2 - Bogan
Band 3 - An asian that plays rugby
band 4 - Wog
band 5 - White
band 6 - Asian/curry

Who needs to study when you can get a 65 ATAR and get into Commerce at UWS. LOL :lol:
GL with getting employed, esp with the amount of competition in the business industry.

I wish him the best with his janitorial duties.
LOL

Theres nothing wrong, melbourne/anu are higher ranked i think. Its pretty sad to know that people are willing to move cities and ditch all their mates and family just to go to a higher ranked uni...

Also LOL this thread is so badly off topic
Yea, why did hell would you move from sydney. Nek minnut friends at USYD/UNSW get a job before him.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to get off this site till Sunday (hopefully), need to get a lot done, plus everyone here is acting like it's world war three.

Cya all

x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0
Even I lasted longer than you

Business point of view:

a) Hiring a uni graduate that has all the necessary skills/knowledge to perform the job.

b) Hiring a high school student and spending time/money training them from scratch. Also, who's to say that the high school student will even learn the skills effectively.

IMO, uni degree doesn't guarantee you a job, but it gives you an edge on those without degrees.
+1

or they could just get 20 bonus points and make UTS
+1

_______
Thats my essay done for today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)