Hard? (1 Viewer)

starlitwonder

HSC
I'm in Year 12 now, doing Legal in the top class. My teacher keeps telling us how hard Legal is and that we're not up to the standard we should be. My school tends to do well in the HSC, but I was wondering if she was just being podantic about our work or if the markers really do mark Legal that hard

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its hard to say, generally teachers do this to motivate students, but I don't know you or your class. My teacher was very fussy with our work but I guess that came as he had studied law. If you want an idea of how hard HSC markers mark, go to the Bos sitehttp://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/index3.html#l
and check out the notes from the marking centre from previous years, also if your school has the standars packages *they should be on your school computers* check them out as you will be able to see student answers.

Good luck:D

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
starlitwonder said:
I'm in Year 12 now, doing Legal in the top class. My teacher keeps telling us how hard Legal is and that we're not up to the standard we should be. My school tends to do well in the HSC, but I was wondering if she was just being podantic about our work or if the markers really do mark Legal that hard
Legal studies is basically not a very challenging course when you compare it to, say, extension one english, economics, chemistry etc. Most of the trouble people have with it is learning to direct your answers into particular categories - for example, if you're trying to evaluate whether x results in justice for y, you need to really really know what the categories of "justice" are in a legal studies context and pigeonhole your essay [look at the syllabus. the syllabus > your teacher].

With this, study and some common knowledge, a band 6 ain't so hard to get.

agent_pollifax

Awesome
HSC
True. Legal studies is difficult only in that you have to remember so much stuff, titles I mean. The thory is OK, but the media sucks. It's my favourite subject and my teacher is very podantic.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
agent_pollifax said:
True. Legal studies is difficult only in that you have to remember so much stuff, titles I mean. The thory is OK, but the media sucks. It's my favourite subject and my teacher is very podantic.
i actually enjoyed studying cases rather than the theory.. all those interesting cases.. well everyones different.

back to the main topic, my teacher wasn't as pedantic as the other classes teacher (we had two legal classes) and both classes ended up with an even number of top students;

listen to mel about the standards packages, they are worth the read = )
yes, they should be on your school computers, and im sure the librarians have some hard copies lying around as well..

good luck 06'ers in your half yearlies.. whenever they were or are they coming up?

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
Legal's my best subject and we've had two assessments so far (second one get results back tomorrow)

Our teacher is...well somewhere between fair and hard marker. But it's good...don't want to get scaled later on!!!

Just remember, not all cases (eg names and years) and statutes (years mainly) are THAT important that you will lose marks for having the name/year wrong...

So if you know the important things (eg for family ---> Family Law Act 1975)...you can even mmake up cases...they wont mind as long as they sound real enough annd fit the profile (eg, dont put Mr x v Mrs Y for a criminal case...dOh!)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
its easy dw... its designed for you to pass... unless u want to top the state.. then its not easy for you

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
I don't think it is really that hard. My teacher will tell us off for not doing better but then we tell her off for not explaining stuff properly. Either that or she doesn't explain it in terms that most of the class will understand. She tried making us all think the half yearly we had today would be hard. Personally i didn't think it was but i shall know how i did next term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)