Hardest HSC year for extension 1? (1 Viewer)

mirachael

HSC
my teacher set general maths but still taught 2u, 3u and 4u those years...
I just had a thought. What if Carrotsticks, because he doesn't want to give up teaching 4u, ends up setting the general maths HSC paper. Those poor souls.

HSC
I just had a thought. What if Carrotsticks, because he doesn't want to give up teaching 4u, ends up setting the general maths HSC paper. Those poor souls.
Nah, because he doesn't want to give up teaching 4u, I reckon he should stick with BOS trials. His trial papers are unique, you get questions which you rarely find in other papers. Also more and more people are being attracted to his papers. Honestly, i think as the years go by more people will do his maths trials and I wouldn't be surprised if some questions appear in school trials.

photastic

HSC
1990s Math papers are harder than the last two decades, especially the projectile motion which required explanations rather than calculations.

Expecting a super hard projectile motion this year like carrotsticks for Q 14.

HSC
1990s Math papers are harder than the last two decades, especially the projectile motion which required explanations rather than calculations.

Expecting a super hard projectile motion this year like carrotsticks for Q 14.
Doubt it'll be as hard as carrosticks. Back then, question 7 was dedicated for projectile or binomial. Nowadays the last part of the entire question may be a projectile. Hopefully it's a good test though.

photastic

HSC
Doubt it'll be as hard as carrosticks. Back then, question 7 was dedicated for projectile or binomial. Nowadays the last part of the entire question may be a projectile. Hopefully it's a good test though.
Doubt it will be a good test. Last year's was piss easy (Newton's method for last question?!?!) and expecting an exam with 50 marks of standard questions, 10 marks for sillies and 10 marks for state rankers.

HSC
Doubt it will be a good test. Last year's was piss easy (Newton's method for last question?!?!) and expecting an exam with 50 marks of standard questions, 10 marks for sillies and 10 marks for state rankers.
Hahah last years paper was "harder" than usual, e4 cutoff was quite low (48/70)

braintic

HSC
N/A
according to my teacher, who set general maths last few years, the committee which sets each math paper has no interaction with the other committees (e.g. the people setting 3u do not communicate at all with the people setting 4u), and this allows the teacher setting one maths exam to teach other levels that year (e.g. my teacher set general maths but still taught 2u, 3u and 4u those years...) - because if a teacher (A) setting 4u had to deal with a teacher setting 3u, teacher A would know what is in the 3u paper and this would prevent him from teaching 3u, even though he is setting only 4u.

so I think it is a bit misguided to say that 3U will have a lot of perms & combs and/or probability because 4u had an absence of it...
Take a look at the 2010 2 unit and Ext 2 papers.
2U Q8b
Ext 2 Q3c
That should convince you that your teacher is misguided.

If he only sets general papers then he would have no reason to consult with the other committees. The 2U/Ext1/Ext2 committees do consult.

I might be proven a liar, but I expect probability to play a big part in Ext 1.
Another clue is that the latest probability question in the 2 unit paper was in Q12 (same format as Ext 2), and it was a dead easy question.
So neither the Ext 1 or Ext 2 students have done a challenging Probability question yet.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
according to my teacher, who set general maths last few years, the committee which sets each math paper has no interaction with the other committees (e.g. the people setting 3u do not communicate at all with the people setting 4u), and this allows the teacher setting one maths exam to teach other levels that year (e.g. my teacher set general maths but still taught 2u, 3u and 4u those years...) - because if a teacher (A) setting 4u had to deal with a teacher setting 3u, teacher A would know what is in the 3u paper and this would prevent him from teaching 3u, even though he is setting only 4u.

so I think it is a bit misguided to say that 3U will have a lot of perms & combs and/or probability because 4u had an absence of it...
Yer cos it's general...

Other maths level do consult, as confirmed above by braintic.

2U Q8b
Ext 2 Q3c

If he only sets general papers then he would have no reason to consult with the other committees. The 2U/Ext1/Ext2 committees do consult.

Another clue is that the latest probability question in the 2 unit paper was in Q12 (same format as Ext 2), and it was a dead easy question.
So neither the Ext 1 or Ext 2 students have done a challenging Probability question yet.

mreditor16

HSC
2U Q8b
Ext 2 Q3c

Yer cos it's general...

Other maths level do consult, as confirmed above by braintic.
okay then my bad, it must only be for general. must have misinterpreted my teacher a bit.

but then, doesn't that surely mean a teacher setting either 2u/3u/4u can't teach any of those levels, despite only setting the exam for one of them? that's quite a bugger :/

braintic

HSC
N/A
doesn't that surely mean a teacher setting either 2u/3u/4u can't teach any of those levels, despite only setting the exam for one of them?
That is really only an issue at a selective school. An most schools, a teacher would expect to teach 2/3/4 at most every second year anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)