Hardest Trial (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
That paper in the first page of the thread's Q16 isnt that bad tbh. I was able to get all 15 marks of it. Most students are already familiar with proof of contradiction to prove irrationals by assuming rationality with p/q where p and q are integers in lowest terms.

barbernator

HSC
That paper in the first page of the thread's Q16 isnt that bad tbh. I was able to get all 15 marks of it. Most students are already familiar with proof of contradiction to prove irrationals by assuming rationality with p/q where p and q are integers in lowest terms.
there is another paper that fus obtained which is what he was talking about.

barbernator

HSC
Red corner @ math man, fus thinks you're bad at writing maths papers, and by extension, bad at maths, what are you going to do about it?

Blue corner @ fus ro dah, math man thinks he is the mathematics test writing conqueror, what are you going to do about it?

Round 1. Fight.

HSC
This reminds me of one of my teachers bitching about some lady who can't write solutions for MANSW for shit.

And it also reminds me of Derek Buchanan's rants at the BoardOfstudies, among other things hahaha

seanieg89

HSC
Read through and attempted some questions from the paper. Some questions are wrong and your 'warning' at the front,

, is very silly and demonstrates a lack of understanding about what Mathematics is all about. Your paper is not 'hard' in the same way as the HSC Examination is. However, it is exceedingly tedious, and I would not be surprised if nobody finished in time.
+1.

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
The question 6 in that paper wasn't even a very hard question - in fact it wasn't even the last question of the 1993 (i think) paper, it was Q7.

I'm thinking like the top 25% of the state could get the last questions in this.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hardest trial does not necessarily mean the best trial. The best trials are those that most accurately reflect the style of the HSC. Whenever I write trial papers (not anymore bar what I contributed to the BOS paper), as much as I would like to go nuts with hardcore proofs of famous/elegant results, I always try to keep a lid on the difficulty to be roughly on par with the HSC and ensure that it has a good topic coverage across the entire scope of the course (e.g. not too concentrated on Harder 3U). I'm not claiming that I'm awesome at writing trial papers but having done it for 5 years, I've found that the above points are very important to keep in mind.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hardest trial does not necessarily mean the best trial. The best trials are those that most accurately reflect the style of the HSC. Whenever I write trial papers (not anymore bar what I contributed to the BOS paper), as much as I would like to go nuts with hardcore proofs of famous/elegant results, I always try to keep a lid on the difficulty to be roughly on par with the HSC and ensure that it has a good topic coverage across the entire scope of the course (e.g. not too concentrated on Harder 3U). I'm not claiming that I'm awesome at writing trial papers but having done it for 5 years, I've found that the above points are very important to keep in mind.
Yeah, this is definitely true but personally, I believe that the difficulty of trials should always slightly exceed HSC difficulty.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, this is definitely true but personally, I believe that the difficulty of trials should always slightly exceed HSC difficulty.
That is very difficult to do with Extension 2 and Extension 1 Mathematics.

math man

HSC
N/A
Red corner @ math man, fus thinks you're bad at writing maths papers, and by extension, bad at maths, what are you going to do about it?

Blue corner @ fus ro dah, math man thinks he is the mathematics test writing conqueror, what are you going to do about it?

Round 1. Fight.
i'll throw in white towel, im a math lover, not a fighter.

deswa1

HSC
In mathman's defence- I personally enjoyed the trial and got quite a bit out of it (even though I got raped :( )

lol my confidence in maths has been destroyed this week- first by Carrot's papers and then by mathman's haha

math man

HSC
N/A
well, you didnt get that raped, you did very well considering how overboard i went, and you did show signs of brilliance through some parts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)