hardworking Vs. intelligence (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
I think natural intelligence wins. There's this guy in my class who studies 24/7.
Like in the holidays he studies from 7am to 10pm everyday since yr11. Still, his results doesn't show that he studies at all his marks are as high as those who don't study. And then there's this guy who doesn't study ever, spends most of his time with his gf, infact the most study he has probably done is when the teacher tells him to read a passage out aloud during class, and he came 2/50 for physics. O.O''

In conclusion, there's only so much that you can get out of hardwork...
can I just say that you have to run through a bit of logic with claims like this. if somebody told me they were studying for 15 hours straight per day, I wouldnt believe them. furthermore, if they claimed that they were getting good grades because they studied for 15 hours i would call their bluff.

firstly, thats insane. no matter who you are, you cant study that much for a whole year. (well you could, but you would have to have OCD or you would be very depressed by the end of it, either way, you have problems) secondly, no human can concentrate for 15 hours straight. so studying for 15 hours straight =/= 15 hours of study spread out.

you need breaks.

same goes for the people that get 95% in an exam and claim that they didnt study.

hairspray

HSC
can I just say that you have to run through a bit of logic with claims like this. if somebody told me they were studying for 15 hours straight per day, I wouldnt believe them. furthermore, if they claimed that they were getting good grades because they studied for 15 hours i would call their bluff.

firstly, thats insane. no matter who you are, you cant study that much for a whole year. (well you could, but you would have to have OCD or you would be very depressed by the end of it, either way, you have problems) secondly, no human can concentrate for 15 hours straight. so studying for 15 hours straight =/= 15 hours of study spread out.

you need breaks.

same goes for the people that get 95% in an exam and claim that they didnt study.

Well thats what he tells me. He studies from 7am to 10pm and his mom who is a lawyer constantly calls home to check up on him if his studying =/ He follows a strict study regime since preliminary (he wasnt allowed to go to the graduation lunch and his not allowed to go to the formal) and so far his hard work is yet to pay off. Guess we just gotta wait for the results.

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
You need 30% intelligence 70% hardwork i would say becuz 20% of the hsc is english which is memorizing bs lol.

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
Well thats what he tells me. He studies from 7am to 10pm and his mom who is a lawyer constantly calls home to check up on him if his studying =/ He follows a strict study regime since preliminary (he wasnt allowed to go to the graduation lunch and his not allowed to go to the formal) and so far his hard work is yet to pay off. Guess we just gotta wait for the results.
he is asian (flexible with the term asian) yes?

untouchablecuz

HSC
eh this can be contested

yes, for rote learning subjects, i think without study you can't get 95%+ w/o study

but for subjects that require application such as maths (and even physics to an extent, so i find), you can be cruising all year and still do excellent

Winn

HSC
eh this can be contested

yes, for rote learning subjects, i think without study you can't get 95%+ w/o study

but for subjects that require application such as maths (and even physics to an extent, so i find), you can be cruising all year and still do excellent
+1.
For maths + physics, I personally think that the natural logical charisma helps a lot lol. Some people just can't do well in them regardless of how hard they study, while others may ace it without much effort. Sounds unfair, but I believe everyone is gifted in different areas, and some people just haven't realized where their talent lies yet.

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
for me dux has connotations of hard work, effort and study..hence why i don't think i deserve it- so many people wronlgy assume i study over 20 hours a week which is crazy. i study, sure, but no more than any normal person.

in a way i think dux should award someone who is intelligent and hardworking- someone students could look up to in both respects
You're dux and yet your ATAR aim is around 92...? What's with that?

Also, I think dux should be awarded on the basis of hard work. That's how it works in my school. I, for one, am lazy, and regardless of my intelligence, I would never deserve to come dux.
A dux isn't meant to be someone to 'look up to' as someone said before: the 'dux' title should instead be considered a reward.

verdades

HSC
You definitely need both in order to do it.

As it is, person 1 you gave us there doesn't do a lot of subjects which are really academic, anyway, so most likely, person 2 will get a higher ATAR. [I don't actually know how our dux is determined, but it might be the ATAR].

At my school, we've got the people who have natural intelligence in practically every area they do, but also do next to no study [yes, that's me >.>]
Then you've got the people who are naturally intelligent AND do the study. One of those people will be the dux of my school.
Though I suppose my year is also a relative freak of a year for my school, which usually does better in practical areas and not academic.

There's just simply a point where if you don't have the intelligence to begin with, no matter how much work you do, you cannot be the best in something.

bored of sc

HSC
Exam technique is an important factor. If you know how to manage your time/checking answers etc in the exam room you will do well. Whoever sorts this out will out-perform someone who 'falls apart' in the examination.

HSC
You're dux and yet your ATAR aim is around 92...? What's with that?

Also, I think dux should be awarded on the basis of hard work. That's how it works in my school. I, for one, am lazy, and regardless of my intelligence, I would never deserve to come dux.
A dux isn't meant to be someone to 'look up to' as someone said before: the 'dux' title should instead be considered a reward.
Me being Dux has not in any way dictated to me what i want to do....i didn't choose it and i didn't want it. I don't think i'm particularly intelligent and i don't think i'll get over 92 in the HSC...maybe my school just isn't very good

six demon bag

HSC
You need a combination. All through school I would frequently get 85 and highers on night-before assignment or tests i didn't study for. Then the HSC hit me in the face haha. I've studied lots, I've just developed the worst work ethic ever.

I always find that it's the people who work real hard in the HSC that do well. Some people can fluke it, but it's rare.

qaz0981

HSC
our dux isn't determined until the atar is released, and it goes off that. but i do have much more respect for the hard workers than those with natural abilities. there are people who you see working so hard, and i really think theirs is the biggest achievement. i envy their ability to study so much, i wish i had the motivation

tareksalman

HSC
Intelligence really helps, but then there are people who are knowledgable but absolute idoits.
Like they don't do class work, homework etc but outside of school they know quite a lot about science for example. If they just put a little bit of hardwork their marks would sky rocket.

I also have a friend who gets all the physics theory but never writes anything down, doesn't study and therefore doesn't have any exam technique and doesn't get good marks.
Another firend of mine was real slack up to yr 11, but then he actually changed and started working really hard. His marks aren't great but they are improving I believe, and I've noticed he is so calm for the HSC, really surprising 'cause he has low self-esteem and stressed like crazy in the trials. I really want to see his results.

Intelligence makes it a lot easier, but hard work is neccessary. You need a certain degree of both

Jason

EmJoy

HSC
Welcome to BoS :)

But, a hardworking person will always have the satisfaction of actually achieving something in the end moreso than someone who can do it "naturally" without much effort.

I should also note that some people are super hard workers but are so intellectually challenged they probably won't achieve very highly academically. But chances are that their talent lies somewhere else :)
I cant agree more:) Especially the satisfaction part.

however, dux is the award for the most 'intelligent' at your school. person two deserved it, if only because of genetics. there should be an application award or something, but they always have stigma attached to them :(.
That would be hilarious. The actual dux is like the "you are better than everyone else award", and the applied one would just be like a "you are a tryhard"award. hahahahah.

( I kill Mensa but fail hsc)
:rofl:

I personally think that intelligence would help. 1 of my friend worked EXTREMELY hard and she couldnt get up to 80% for maths 2u. Intelligence will make study just like fun and reduce lots of stress
I wish I was naturally intelligent at maths...and found it fun, hahaha.

\
I know someone just like the second girl...OMG ....The lord has blessed these people i tell you. ENVIOUS much!!!!
I KNOW!!! She's like pretty/friendly/popular too, argh, i want her genes!!!:ninja:

I respect hardworkers, but I admire the latter.:p
Too true!!!

Hard work can only get you to JUST behind the James Ruse stupid kids.

Natural intellect takes you from the 98 stage to 99.5+ stage.
That is depressing...

I think natural intelligence wins. There's this guy in my class who studies 24/7.
Like in the holidays he studies from 7am to 10pm everyday since yr11. Still, his results doesn't show that he studies at all his marks are as high as those who don't study. And then there's this guy who doesn't study ever, spends most of his time with his gf, infact the most study he has probably done is when the teacher tells him to read a passage out aloud during class, and he came 2/50 for physics. O.O''

In conclusion, there's only so much that you can get out of hardwork...
Envy much, lol....

I hate it when ppl say that...:(makes me feel dumb.

You need 30% intelligence 70% hardwork i would say becuz 20% of the hsc is english which is memorizing bs lol.
Haha,

It's just ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name
LOL.

eh this can be contested

They are lucky people...

Exam technique is an important factor. If you know how to manage your time/checking answers etc in the exam room you will do well. Whoever sorts this out will out-perform someone who 'falls apart' in the examination.
I agree!!! I know this guy who was smart but was so nervous that he fainted for the trials...omg...

:rofl:this is a super long post

Last edited:

harry4

HSC
do all your schools determine dux on school ranks or something?

NewiJapper

HSC
An intelligent person will always beat a hardworking person. An intelligent person lazy or not is intelligent enough to realise that efficient study is far better than cramming. M.r Hardworker could be doing a bazillion hours of un-effective study while Mr. Smart is doing only a fraction of Mr. Hardworker load but much more efficient study. Mr. Smart will always come out ontop.

pman

Banned
HSC
I'm lazy and intelligent!
I beleive dux should be entirely about test results,
My primary school gave a dumb guy dux because he was a good citizen and i didn't get it even though i topped everything becouse i was always playing up in class (cos the teachers were dumb and didn't give me anything that took more than 5 minutes and then never gave me any extension stuff so i had nothing to do)

Mind you the same school sent the same guy to region for the 200 IM at swimming even though he was over a minute slower than me cos we did the school carnival in a 25m pool and i habitually changed strokes after a lap so did 2 100m IM's back to back
their reason for not taking me, I might do the same thing again in a 50 metre pool! dumb cunts

Venom.

HSC
I'm lazy and intelligent!
I beleive dux should be entirely about test results,
My primary school gave a dumb guy dux because he was a good citizen and i didn't get it even though i topped everything becouse i was always playing up in class (cos the teachers were dumb and didn't give me anything that took more than 5 minutes and then never gave me any extension stuff so i had nothing to do)

Mind you the same school sent the same guy to region for the 200 IM at swimming even though he was over a minute slower than me cos we did the school carnival in a 25m pool and i habitually changed strokes after a lap so did 2 100m IM's back to back
their reason for not taking me, I might do the same thing again in a 50 metre pool! dumb cunts
Fuck you for being good at everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)