Harmonic features - Music 2 (1 Viewer)

sambo_rambo

HSC
Hi everyone,
I've come across a number of hsc papers where they ask you for harmonic features, usually from a given score extract. All I can ever think of are lame things like:
Repeated use of a certain interval
Grace notes
Pedal points
Melodic ostinatos
Can anyone think of any others?
Thanks,
Sam

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Harmonic features are, off the top of my head, things like (but not limited to) Overall Form - Binary, Ternary, Sonata etc. Relationships between movements (including keys). Things like harmonic progressions, sequences, cadences - and the more specific the better. Tonal structures (atonality, homophony, polyphony) and their significance according to certain musical periods and styles (atonality, for example, is most associated with the early 20th century, and specifically composers such as Schonberg, Berg and Webern), and specific movements (Serialism, Neoclassicism, Electronic Music (Music Concrete). More as I think them.

sambo_rambo

HSC
Thanks for that. For say, the Music 2 paper where we get a 2 minute excerpt, would those more simple things be adequate?

sambo_rambo

HSC
floyd_pepper said:
why are grace notes harmonic features?
I don't know... It was a random idea, but come to think of it they are not a particularly good example. Sorry.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Grace notes are considered to be a harmonic feature because they provide clashes and resolves in terms of intervals whilst playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)