• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (4 Viewers)

celticdream

HSC
N/A
Incredibly late in this reply, but now's better than never.

In my opinion - Worst. Movie. Ever. Don't get me wrong, the effects and such were admirable, and they improve with each film, etc. But about 85% of what I disliked about this film can be attributed entirely to the script. The screenwriter should be shot in the kneecaps, for the most part.

While I think Imelda Staunton was great casting, I think a little TOO much focus was put on her without explanation for her actions, and I think that the selective re-organising of the timeline (and plot, really) made the theme of the movie "Is Harry turning bad? Is Dolores Umbridge badder?" I liked the whooshy non-apparition but I thought it wound up over-used; I didn't like how they all came out a-okay with no injuries. And I HATED that Sirius died and I shrugged, because the visual impact was nowhere near what I expected. :(

It wasn't just the humourous bits that were out of whack; I mean the baby thestral, the other kid who had to write with - as I have deemed it - the blood quill, and also, when Sirius punched Lucius. What the hell? No. Just ... no. I was annoyed that Harry gave up the prophecy, as well. I mean, the tables were turned, prophecy in exchange for all their lives - whereas in the book it was really just all of them running like hell and battling their arses off.

I understand why these things weren't in though. It's too hard to fit it all in one movie. I just didn't like that this screenwriter seems to have thought he was going to one-up Jo on how to write the plot of her books, by writing 32 five-minute long semi-connected vignettes that left me, personally, dissatisfied.

Overall I really didn't like it, and I do mean as a separate thing from the books. I thought it was disjointed and confusing, not to mention filled with cheap ploys for laughter, awwwws, rage, sympathy, etc. In comparison to the BOOK, I think it was made purely of shit.

But, each to their own ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)