HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

atreus

HSC
in book 6 when rowling describes slughorn, i think she compares him to a spider collecting things in his web, weaving everything together. this description kind of reminds me of jkr now, cos the series is such an intricately woven narrative.

on the slytherin-peverell relation, i think that the second peverell brother's descendents must have married into slytherin's line, otherwise, harry would have been slytherin's heir and would have naturally spoken parseltongue.

atreus

HSC
also, i looked up the name 'kendra' and found out that it an ancient anglo-saxon name that goes back centuries and it means 'knowing' or 'greatest champion' in welsh.
so i dont see why people r saying that its too modern and isnt consistent with the names of kendra dumbledore's family.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
atreus said:
in book 6 when rowling describes slughorn, i think she compares him to a spider collecting things in his web, weaving everything together. this description kind of reminds me of jkr now, cos the series is such an intricately woven narrative.

on the slytherin-peverell relation, i think that the second peverell brother's descendents must have married into slytherin's line, otherwise, harry would have been slytherin's heir and would have naturally spoken parseltongue.
I thought slughorn was fat ie nothing like a spider :S

HSC
ok i read the first 5 pages of this thread, and its got me rolling my eyes. 2 posters in particular (Malfoy and Cosmic)

Malfoy, go have a cry... it didnt go the way you liked, but it went the way JKR wanted it to go, its her book... she doesnt have to cater it for fans. (and tbh, im a Slytherin fan as well... the only thing that pissed me off is the whole house leaving and not fighting)

Cosmic... whatever your name is. All you do is criticise this book wihtout even reading it.

anyway, i loved it... not everybit of it, but it was OK. The epilogue could have been managed alot better, and i hated Ron's continued cynicism towards Malfoy. The book got boring in the middle i thought... and also... what happens to the Dursely's

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i've now reread it and have a clearer picture of what happened

forsaken999

HSC
well said santosh, although i actually somewhat enjoyed the middle, however i think she rushed the end a bit and maybe could have made the final battle more epic, the dumbledore vs voldermort battle > harry vs riddle imo.

J

jhakka

jumb said:
Yeah, but there's a bunch of stupid fan-kids, some in this thread, who wouldn't be happy with anything. Also saying there will be a fraction out of millions of people who don't like something is hardly makes you nostradamus.
Probably one of my favourite posts. While I have much respect for some of these posters, it seemed that some of them were simply too determined to hate the book if A didn't happen to character B, or character C didn't get with character D. Personally, I judge the book on the overall rather than on one or two scenes. Also, anyone else who was hoping for male/male, etc relationships was being a bit unreasonable in their expectations.

At the end of the day, while it's more mature than Philosopher's Stone, it's still a kids series. It may have been fluffy in the last FIVE pages, but we need to remember that people from the age of maybe 10 to the age of 80 (I had a lady this age call up at work and ask about details of the release) read these books and that sometimes it is important to have a moral. I didn't think the epilogue was great, but overall I loved the story. I can also see the point of the epilogue, as it's a huge change from Harry's first trip to Hogwarts in Philosopher's Stone, and it's important to know that he got to be a part of a loving family, which is something that for a long time he didn't have. Meh, I like fluff and true love stuff, because it's feel-good kinda stuff.

For some other points... I don't think the Malfoys were as ambiguous as people are saying. Draco didn't tell Bellatrix that it was definitely the trio that Greyback had captured. Lucius Malfoy was clearly unhappy with how things were going, and since Half-Blood Prince, it was obvious that he and Narcissa were just trying to keep the family intact in current circumstances (such as Lucius being a Death Eater for about 20 years).

He and Harry weren't antagonistic towards each other during the epilogue. In fact, they acknowledged each other (though not warmly), which is a clear indication of a truce of sorts, if not mutual respect.

That was probably the biggest one. From this point it will be random comments.

Lupin and Tonks! </3 I love Lupin's character and was very upset when Harry was a dick to him, and I've always liked Tonks. And since The Order of the Pheonix film, I have a serious crush on her.

Fred Weasley! </3 I love the Weasley twins. They rock everyone's socks.

I would have liked to see a bit more Snape.

I would have liked to see more of the Dementors, though they definitely got a pretty good go. I have a Dementor action figure in my room. It rocks.

I hate Umbridge with a passion and want to give her a poke in the eye with a blunt stick... twice.

Dumbledore's dark past was satisfying because it gave him more depth.

Gryffindors were not painted as never being able to do wrong (as Beccy suggested). Sirius was always seen as being a bit (or a lot) of a dick, and James was a bit cocky. No one, not even Lupin, claimed that either of them was perfect. What made me think a bit was how like his family Sirius was in all ways but the one that mattered most to them (the pure-blood obsession).

I'm a tad disappointed that Slytherin house walked out, but I can't complain that much. Harry and co were never particularly nice to them, so I don't see why they would stay for the battle. Plus, as someone mentioned, Phineas Nigellus summed Slytherins up pretty well.

I loved Dudley's exit. At least Harry finally got some love from part of that family.

LOL at Vernon going to shake Harry's hand and then swinging his arm like an idiot because he couldn't make himself do that.

There was more, but I can't remember it. Will post more later.

I also intend to give the series another go at a slower pace. I read the in book huge blocks after being exhausted from the launch (the line did not end!!!!) in an attempt to avoid spoilers (which really didn't come up at all. Thanks to people who took the hint after their first bans or even after the request not to ruin it. I do appreciate it), so I probably missed a lot or didn't process it properly. Looking forward to getting there again eventually.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhakka

Calculon/Chadd said:
Whatever your complaints, you all actually seem to have been given a lot of happiness from this book/series and I think it's great there's still more for you to discuss. I was genuinely shocked that there's this many people that absolutely fawn over harry potter, but it really does seem to have been a big positive in a lot of people's lives... When my friend picked up her copy of the book yesterday she looked like a little kid who'd just got the present she'd been hoping for months santa would bring, that sort of innocent enjoyment just doesn't happen too often for adults, I felt almost jealous in my nostalgia that I couldn't feel the same.

- enteebee
This is an important post too. Even if people think these books are overrated (not a view that I share), it has been something important to many people, enough to create a community atmosphere that hasn't been seen since possibly the 2000 Olympics (for example). I think it's important to acknowledge and appreciate the happiness it's brought for many, even if you don't like or have no interest in the books themselves.

Also, if it's getting people reading, especially kids, I'm damn well for it and see it as a very valuable part of our popular culture.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i agree with above. i never read for fun before Harry Potter came along. of course there is never going to be a book which is loved by everyone, but Harry Potter is probably one of the few which is loved by a substantially large number of people of different ages from all over the world.

R.I.P.

Hedwig
Mad Eye Moody
Dobby
Fred
Lupin
Tonks
Snape
Colin Creevy

don't R.I.P

Bellatrix
Voldemort

it would have been good to know what happened to the Durlseys and who became headmaster of Hogwarts (i assume Mcgonagall but it would have tied things up better to confirm) - and Luna Lovegood as well! she should have been included in the epilogue.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I must say i expected to see atleast a couple of slytherins stay, even though a big part of their house is being great, but knowing when to save your own skin. I thought maybe that guy from the DA, maybe a few of the loners who were like snape when he was a kid...
of course no where near the same amount as gryfindor [ but if you remember, hardly any ravenclaws stayed either] but just a few as a token of support that not ALL Slytherins supported Voldermort would have been nice.
After all, Regulus Black, Snape, Phineas, Slughorn they were all really big Slytherins and they were on the good side even if they werent the most pleasant of people.

HSC
correct me if i am wrong, but i don't think that the veil was explained. the one that sirius fell behind, and i am pretty let down by that. other than that a good book, however i wish that alot more was explained in the epilogue. e.g headmaster of hogwarts, rest of weasley family, luna.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
cuppy said:
Colin Creevy
OMG i forgot that he died! I've read it and I'm 1/3 the way through re-reading it and I'm following threads online of people discussing and I completely forgot.

Not a hugely tragic death cos he is minor character but :(

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, i was thinking, about the veil, it would have been a much better place to stage the part that happened in kings cross, could have solved a mystery or too

bassqueen16

HSC
^^^ I so agree, Harry was just like i dont care what you think because i know this is it and ill call you whatever i like, whether you like it or not

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm so glad the book didn't get spoiled for me.

I loved the cute, fluffy epilogue. YAY HAPPY ENDINGS!!

It did drag in the middle a bit, and I don't completely understand the magical explanation of everything (but I'll re-read it later. I flew through it in an attempt to prevent spoilerage, and because my sister kept hounding me for it).

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Just finished it again. Everything makes much more sense, and I cried a lot more too :p

Oh and I think someone here said that it was Draco who tried to kill Hermione - it was actually Crabbe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)