HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i havent read that part multpile times or anything but im sure he was not pleading for mercy to be spared his life. Dumbledore has always re iterated the fact that death is not the most tragic thing to happen to a person and i think that despite him not being afraid of death, he had many plans in place and the implications of his death is....*trails off* i dunno what im on about. I just refuse to think hat Dumbledore pleaded for his life.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Argonaut said:
As much as he might not want to, Harry will return to Hogwarts. Now that he has the subjects to become and Auror, he can do the NEWTs. If he doesn't there's not much left for career choice. And besides, Hogwarts is were Dumbledore's portrait is, and it's a mine of information. Given Harry doesn't have the right abilities to face Voldemort right now, Hogwarts is the best place for him to learn.
i'm sure if harry defeats voldermort, the Ministry mite give him a job as an auror WITHOUT his NEWTS

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
bubz :D said:
okay, don't bother with spoiler tags anymore coz people are just getting annoyed with them. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ HARRY POTTER AND DO NOT WISH TO HEAR ABOUT ANY DEATHS/KILLERS/THEORIES/SEX etc, DO NOT CONTINUE READING.

though i'd think people would be smart enough to read the thread title (ie, this thread contains spoilers)
to hiphop, some azzie chick and others who have flamed me for not putting on spoilers on my previous post

ffs

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, i think it's reasonbly clear dumbledore intented to be killed, that being said, he must have prepared some way to assist harry, harry is nowhere near ready enough to fite dark wizards...

snape i think IS good, but there needs to be some explaining as to how he fooled voldermort, and if he is evil instead, how he fooled dumbledore.

i think dumbledore was pleading to be helped, dumbledore wouldnt be scared of death....i thought the scariest part tho was how weak he was wen drinking the potion

know_it_all

hey, does ne1 think my theory is valid...
i think harry is one of the 7 horcruxes..i no this seems illogical cos its risky to make it a living object but i dont think it was intentional...i think it hapnd when he tried to kill harry
n then the prophecy wud ring true because they both cant live...
perhaps harry mite even have to kill himself to rid the world completely of riddle's soul
but that wud explain the parseltongue n all their connections n needs for power...
so maybe the 'love' that dumbledore always spoke about (past tense now...tear) has stopped the horcrux from taking over harry

i duno...just a lil thought

jennylim

HSC
Argonaut said:
I'm glad I'm of no particular "ship" - I've seen what happens when two of the (ie Harry/Hermione and Ron/Hermione) come together and don't agree. It gives this place a run for its money in terms of utter crap and abuse.

hehehe, very very true argonaut. i do "ship" R/Hr and H/G but more because they were always going to happen rather than because i think they are perfect and beautiful...etc...the extremely bitter H/Hrs are really scary though.

jennylim

HSC
PerfectByNature said:
No way, those are all crap! i hate Harry/ Ginny and Ron/ Hermione, cos their way way too obvious... nothing special about them, i knew from like the first book that each of those chars liked each other ... how boring... i think a good Hermione/ Draco pairing would be tops! or a slashy pairing thatd be just brilliant... i mean you never see any of that sort of stuff... but the world is becoming more... i guess the word is tolerant.... of that. you know?
but does predictable necessarily mean crap? like...it would be bad writing if she was inconsistent with the rest of her books, wouldn't it? i did want to see those couples get together, yes, but just because they'd been set up for ages. if she undid that work (eg of the yule ball or ginny's character development) and made harry "snog" hermione or draco, it would probably just be a bit wrong. so yeah i do know what u mean about the shock or interest value diminishing a bit, but i'm just pointing out the "predictability" does not equate crapness.

scoby_2000

HSC
babee_blu_eyez said:
hey, does ne1 think my theory is valid...
i think harry is one of the 7 horcruxes..i no this seems illogical cos its risky to make it a living object but i dont think it was intentional...i think it hapnd when he tried to kill harry
n then the prophecy wud ring true because they both cant live...
perhaps harry mite even have to kill himself to rid the world completely of riddle's soul
but that wud explain the parseltongue n all their connections n needs for power...
so maybe the 'love' that dumbledore always spoke about (past tense now...tear) has stopped the horcrux from taking over harry

i duno...just a lil thought
i think this is true...and this is why harry (as i hav always thought) will have to be sacrificed. e.g. jesus christ, Neo....its all the same prophercy kinda thing..

p.s. i thought this book rocked!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
jennylim said:
haha jebbie i read it on the first day...my sister and i both did, actually. about 4 and a half hours each. she got it first though, grrrrrrrr. and yes! buy it!! in my opinion it's one of the best!!!
I almost questioned you about it today in the morning, but I felt lame and decided cramming for Maths was the better option :p

p.s. I know everyones probably saying this but Oh my how much is Bertha's haircut like yours? Its very cute though :D

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
jennylim said:
but does predictable necessarily mean crap? like...it would be bad writing if she was inconsistent with the rest of her books, wouldn't it? i did want to see those couples get together, yes, but just because they'd been set up for ages. if she undid that work (eg of the yule ball or ginny's character development) and made harry "snog" hermione or draco, it would probably just be a bit wrong. so yeah i do know what u mean about the shock or interest value diminishing a bit, but i'm just pointing out the "predictability" does not equate crapness.
DAMMIT!!!! i just wrote this long bloody reply and my stupid puter decided to chuck a shit on me. damn... anyway...
i guess predictability doesnt mean crapness but i just really didnt like it, thats all... i get what you mean by that tho... i understand.
its just that i read sooo many good fics about Hermione and Draco or Harry and Draco (Underwater Light- one of THE best slash... no, one of the best fanfics ever.) actually, i was reading that just before i started HBP (big mistake) and kept forgetting that there wasnt a spy in Hogwarts who was helping Moldy Voldy siphon off students and in the last chap the author posted (Chap 21!!!!!) we found out who the spy was and it was sooooo crazy and unexpected... and i had to keep remembering that it wasnt the case with the real books....
hehe
i love Fanfic!!!!!! <333333333333

know_it_all

Argonaut said:
That is totally untrue !!AAA!!. Voldemort had never come face-to-face with Harry before he attempted to kill him in Godric's Hollow, so how could Harry be a Horcrux?
no i dun mean he made him one beforehand... i mean maybe during the attempted murder, he somehow transferred a piece of his soul (ie a horcrux) to harry...

just a stupid lil theory of mine..

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Argonaut said:
Three. The horcrux in the cave (the locket was simply placed there I think), the diary and the ring. We still need Hufflepuff's Cup, Slytherin's Necklance, the "Artifact of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor" (still think it's ravenclaw) and Nagini (Voldemort's snake). It's possible though that there's only three remaining as Voldmeort may have intended to use Harry's murder (when he was one year old) to make Horcrux number 7. If that's the case, either Nagini or the Ravenclaw/gryffindor Artifact doesn't need to be found.
Wait, I thought there were 6 Horcruxes because one bit is in Voldemort's sou thats inside him. I'm confused.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
okay, let's see.

1. the diary
2. slytherin's necklace (destroyed by RAB?)
3. the ring
4. hufflepuff's cup
5. nagini
6. ?
7. voldemort

right? i dont have the book on me at the moment, i'm a bit lost and muddling things that i've read in the book with people's theories :p

prosaic

HSC
All the horcruxes have to be destroyed before Voldemort, in his physical form, can be killed. Thus if Harry is a horcrux, then he'd have to be killed before Voldemort. Which in turn means, that someone other than Harry would have to kill Voldemort. Snape's true calling perhaps? Final intervention when having previously been a third party/perpetual double crosser?

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
ITS A BLODDY OUTRAGE IT IS...

aaah AD was my fav character, so noble, so great- i hate u JKR (yes i am aware that it had to happen so that Harry will face Voldermort alone, but still, i am severely traumatised)

I dont know if this has been raised on the forum but i was thinking, with Snape, he isnt actually evil. When he made the 'unbreakable???' vow with Draco's mum, didnt the vow include that Snape must not only protect Draco, but also carry out Draco's task if Draco was unable to perform it. From memory, it was this last requirement where JKR hinted that Snape was reluctant to enter the vow. Plus, the look of hatred that Snape had on his face when he killed Dumbeldore could be at the fact that he had to carry out such a ghastly task?

Also, he never really harmed Harry. Whilst he is a complete arsehole to him, he had ample oppurtunity when Harry was chasing him to at least make Harry suffer- he didnt do that. Personally, i hate Snape, but it seems to me that JKR's attempt at trying to set up a twsity plot for no. 7 ie. the evil, evil Snape is actually a good guy, is pretty lame and i think that is where she is heading.

Could it be possible that R.A.B is Snape?

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Ok, this is becoming discussed into oblivion... but a few points that people have made with no explanation:

"this is no longer a 'kids' book, with the use of the word 'slut' and stuff like that. "

There are two words in the book that are making you all giggle, "slut" and "ejaculate". Neither of them mean what they do in our Australian, teenage context. Slut simply refers to a girl who is dirty and has been commonly used in literature to not mean a harlot or promiscuous girl or whatever. Jesus, a lot of Roald Dahl has the word slut, too. Ejaculate, as had been said, just means to interject a short brief statement into a conversation, something like "blurt."

The "Remus/Tonks" thing ISN'T fanficcy, it is there for a reason, which is to provide an excuse for Tonks' behaviour in the book. For most of the book I was under the impression that Tonks was either under the Imperius curse or had switched sides, just because she was conveniently around whenever something fishy was going on. But when I knew she was just fancying the wolfman, it gave her an (albeit weak) excuse for her actions.

I'm a supporter of the "RAB is Regulus!" theory. And I think RAB will not be alive in the next book, so we won't have a whole new character.

Also, the main thing I have a gripe with:

HARRY SUCKS. As a wizard, I mean. What a pansy. "Oh Harry, you can love!" As a reader, I don't want Harry to love, I want him to kickass. The best part of the book (appart from Luna's Quidditch commentary) was Harry beating the shit out of Draco with Sectum Sempra. I want Harry to be as good as people like his father at school.. but Snape was right at the start... he really is a very mediocre wizard. I sincerely hope in the next book he just focuses on his D.A.D.A skills and starts learning really kickass spells and hexes, because if he can get every one of his jinxes repelled by Snape with ease, how is he going to fight the GREATEST WIZARD OF ALL TIME (now that Dumbledore carked it).

No-one to hold his hand in book seven. But other than that, I thought the book was pretty damn enjoyable, especially seeing the Weasleys making it big in the joke shop. Heh.

scoby_2000

HSC
Argonaut said:
Three. The horcrux in the cave (the locket was simply placed there I think), the diary and the ring. We still need Hufflepuff's Cup, Slytherin's Necklance, the "Artifact of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor" (still think it's ravenclaw) and Nagini (Voldemort's snake). It's possible though that there's only three remaining as Voldmeort may have intended to use Harry's murder (when he was one year old) to make Horcrux number 7. If that's the case, either Nagini or the Ravenclaw/gryffindor Artifact doesn't need to be found.

ummm ok maybe no one else noticed....but the necklace they collected....there was no horcrux in it....so really....they still need that as well....so THE ONLY horcruxes they have are the diary and the ring....they really didnt get anywhere other than finding out someone R.A.B had it....

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
didn't it say that RAB had destroyed the horcrux? (again, i dont have my book on me)

and, from what harry said... if snape is indeed still working for voldemort and knew that pettigrew was the secret keeper from the start... that would mean that he kept this to himself all these years, not telling dumbledore that he knew sirius was innocent... and all that stuff in PoA. of course, he might NOT have known that pettigrew was the secret keeper... hm.

also, in PoA - "the time may come when you will be very glad you saved pettigrew's life." - let's hope we see that in book 7.

as for snape killing dumbledore because of the unbreakable vow and not because he's on the dark side, i really dont know anymore. all i know is that he killed him... and if he really IS on dumbledore's side, i don't think any of them will trust him.

_bushra_ said:
How will Harry find all the other Horcruxes in only one book? Unless the next book isnt the last..? Or maybe itll be damn thick
hahah i'm prepared to bet that it'd be a nice, fat book. and JKR's made it clear that she will only be writing seven HP books.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)