• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has anyone started their own business? (1 Viewer)

chardie2

Hey,

I'm really wanting to start my own business when I finish school and I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has who I could talk to?

I would just like to get some tips etc.

Thanks, Charde.

astro

HSC
doing commerce in yr 9 and particpating in yaa was the closest i got to starting a business

Rahul

Dead Member
me n my mate were thinkgin gof starting a tutoring agency kinda thing, start up small and then see what would happen.
we got too lazy though.
the semester break might be a good time to try it...

you would have to consider a few things i think, abn, insurance, etc. :p

toisthbe

Evil Member
argh i did yaa, that was so cool.
YEP do YAA (young achievement australia business skills program) for some idea on how a business works.

work at EA and it will be composory to get yourself your own ABN, because you are technically a SOLETRADER, because you're actaully making ppl sign contracts for you, and you're kinda working for yourself.

my abn number is cool too :p

astro

HSC
even though i absolutely loathed yaa.....the skills gained from the program are valuable. Moreover, you can meet people who are actually in business and they may be able to help you in pointing you in the right direction as much as heaps of other stuff......my friend who also did yaa got quite an impressive reference from an MP.....

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
i had a friend who dropped out in yr9, then he got a job and saved his money for like 3 yrs, and now he owns a takeaway/tobacconist store, not bad for an 18 yr old

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
im going to a learn about going into business thing in a couple of weeks. it says we get to "work with local business and professional people and development importnant connections in the business envrionment, meet mentors, um find out what owning a business is really like ask business owners questions and ra ra ra ra ra. i am just going along coz you miss a day of school!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
well i kinda run a freelancing graphic/web design company

HSC
Yeah, Ive started my own Tutoring business - its not hard, as long as you stay organised. As soon as you let things fall behind or go on holidays, it's so difficult to catch up.

But yeah, its definately worth the effort and its a great eye-opener. And I am only 20, and currently have 300 tutors contracted out from my company running one-on-one tuition in the student's homes. Currently I am the only tutoring company like this is Sydney... and as far as I know NSW...? I cater for students from the Blue mountains right through to the North Shore and down to Southerland Shire...

Like I said - if your interested, stay focused and stick to your dream. It's never impossible, no matter what people say. You've got to take chances sometimes...

Johno2003

Are there any sites that has Council requirements and Legislation for opening up a small business in NSW?

lengstar

HSC
shhh...quiet!!!
i think tutoring is a great way to make extra money. i was realy bad at secondary school stuff and can't stand all that teenage angst so i might set up shop in my garage adn prepare th kiddies for high school and that. its quite easy as long as you research before hand and provide them with advance and innovative teacher techniques and build up your credibility you can watch the money roll in without getting taxed. try to keep a low profile and advertise by word of mouth.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ how lovely. so yeah i went to that business course thing i was talking about .. it was fun and informative at the same time. if you want to go into business - research and consider your options ... then go for it!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Benovista
AsyLum

... are you the same AsyLum from bigpond chat?
if thats whirlpool or gamearena then yes

if not then no :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)