Has anyone started their prelims yet? (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
I'm very nervous for my exam tomorrow, I feel as if I've left my preparation much too late. I've done some papers from thsc over the last few days but I really just don't know. I've used the Maths in Focus textbook this year, and I feel as though all the q's were much simpler than the actual prelim paper q's o_O I also have my ex1 exam tomorrow, which I haven't prepped at all for (lol, I'm dropping it anyways)
I used MIF for a large portion of the year, you just kinda need to have confidence in yourself even if you don’t have practice doing harder Qs. I find that when I’m confident I can do questions beyond my depth just because I am willing to try stuff and see what sticks.

Also, I feel you on the subject dropping (except with business in my case), it’s so hard to try when u know you’re going to drop anyway. At least I think I did somewhat decent despite that, I think if you’ve been trying hard throughout the year you can still scrape a decent mark without any prelim study.
so have I, and i defo agree that theyre way easier than prelim qs. I recommend using other textbooks, or if possible do some hsc questions (ask your teacher if they have a 'SmarterMaths' subscription)
Yeah I bought Cambridge midway through the year, don’t regret it one bit, the questions have prepared me much more than MIF questions.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
I used MIF for a large portion of the year, you just kinda need to have confidence in yourself even if you don’t have practice doing harder Qs. I find that when I’m confident I can do questions beyond my depth just because I am willing to try stuff and see what sticks.

Also, I feel you on the subject dropping (except with business in my case), it’s so hard to try when u know you’re going to drop anyway. At least I think I did somewhat decent despite that, I think if you’ve been trying hard throughout the year you can still scrape a decent mark without any prelim study.

Yeah I bought Cambridge midway through the year, don’t regret it one bit, the questions have prepared me much more than MIF questions.
Ah, I relate in regards to business. All year I've done the bare minimum as I knew I was going to drop it (which is a lot more than most of the class anyways), but recently I've started to like it a little more (the people in the class are so disruptive though). I feel the most pressure for MX1, because I really want to do MX2.
For EX1, it's just a one hour essay, I'll just memorise some quotes tomorrow and wing it from there.

fx82au

HSC
I bought Cambridge midway through the year
do you do qs from the Cambridge book ontop of the qs from MIF? I ususally only refer to the cambridge book, or the 'mastering mathematics' book when im struggling with questions from MIF. With trig functions in ext1 i was really struggling, and I felt that the explanations in cambridge made more sense, and the qs ranged from really easy to difficult, allowing me to build the basics and then attempt harder qs

fx82au

HSC
which is a lot more than most of the class
In my school aswell usually the top students in business drop due to a lack of interest, or just an extremely disruptive class. One of my siblings, and one of my mates dropped business due to a combination of the aforementioned

dsakvyilsa

HSC
In my school aswell usually the top students in business drop due to a lack of interest, or just an extremely disruptive class. One of my siblings, and one of my mates dropped business due to a combination of the aforementioned
Yes, that's exactly it. For whatever reason, students at my school seem to see business as a bludge, (and biology too, they soon learn otherwise though, my bio class has lost majority of its students 😂).

fx82au

HSC
biology too
id say only 3 ish people in my 20+ bio class actually care about the subject. Ive got my prelims for bio tomorrow so ill guess well see how many people will actually study for the exam

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
id say only 3 ish people in my 20+ bio class actually care about the subject. Ive got my prelims for bio tomorrow so ill guess well see how many people will actually study for the exam
To be fair if I was being tested on how water moves up the xylem to get to the plant (which I am) I would be way too unmotivated too
Which reminds me, I really need to study for the plants part of Module 2, it was so boring that I simply forgot it as soon as we finished the module 😭

dsakvyilsa

HSC
we started with about 20.... we'll have 7 in year 12 ( they all somewhat care so the class performance should be fairly decent)

carrotsss

HSC
do you do qs from the Cambridge book ontop of the qs from MIF? I ususally only refer to the cambridge book, or the 'mastering mathematics' book when im struggling with questions from MIF. With trig functions in ext1 i was really struggling, and I felt that the explanations in cambridge made more sense, and the qs ranged from really easy to difficult, allowing me to build the basics and then attempt harder qs
I usually just do Cambridge and start midway through the questions, for explanations I usually just learn it in class if not I figure it out using the Cambridge explanations. My teacher is pretty good though so usually I don’t have to resort to that.
I’m top of my class in business and I’m dropping because of lack of interest, I just really don’t like the content. I agree though it does seem to attract dropkicks.
Yeah, Cambridge is good. My school uses it. It also comes with an ebook version.
The ebook version is great, means I don’t have to carry the heavy textbook to school. It’s just a pdf too which means I can email it to all my friends (not that I would ever do that ;))

thatnormster

HSC
I usually just do Cambridge and start midway through the questions, for explanations I usually just learn it in class if not I figure it out using the Cambridge explanations. My teacher is pretty good though so usually I don’t have to resort to that.

I’m top of my class in business and I’m dropping because of lack of interest, I just really don’t like the content. I agree though it does seem to attract dropkicks.

The ebook version is great, means I don’t have to carry the heavy textbook to school. It’s just a pdf too which means I can email it to all my friends (not that I would ever do that ;))
damn top of your class for business and dropping out? that's a shame. but i guess i can relate, i got one of the higher scores for an economics 20 mark essay but it was SUCH A FUCKING CHORE TO STUDY FOR(!!!) that i do not want to pick up economics next year. i don't even care if my atar is compromised because of that, god.

carrotsss

HSC
damn top of your class for business and dropping out? that's a shame. but i guess i can relate, i got one of the higher scores for an economics 20 mark essay but it was SUCH A FUCKING CHORE TO STUDY FOR(!!!) that i do not want to pick up economics next year. i don't even care if my atar is compromised because of that, god.
Trust me top of my class in business is nowhere near as impressive as u think once you know the people who are in my class.

I can’t blame you for dropping economics even if you’re doing well, I feel like doing subjects that don’t feel like a chore will make your hsc year much more enjoyable and therefore making you more willing to study hard, so I feel like it’s the best play to drop subjects you dislike.

dsakvyilsa

HSC

I'm second in business by about a mark or two.... my best friend is first lol but she's literally studying business at tafe right now so she has a bit of an advantage 😂

dsakvyilsa

HSC
That’s a thing?
yeah, I don't know the technical names and whatnot, but she's doing a school-based traineeship I believe? She'll have a cert something in business once she's done. Lot's of people in my area do that type of thing, I know a girl who completed 3 completely different tafe courses during year 11 and 12!!! (she became ineligible for an atar though, due to the amount of units of tafe she did)

carrotsss

HSC
yeah, I don't know the technical names and whatnot, but she's doing a school-based traineeship I believe? She'll have a cert something in business once she's done. Lot's of people in my area do that type of thing, I know a girl who completed 3 completely different tafe courses during year 11 and 12!!! (she became ineligible for an atar though)
Is it called a TVET course? I think I’ve heard of those, I recall my career adviser talking about them last year.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Is it called a TVET course? I think I’ve heard of those, I recall my career adviser talking about them last year.
no, TVET courses are a different thing that you can do through school (subjects like hospitality, construction, etc. are TVET), hers is through an external organisation which is training her, whereas TVET is held at school (in the case of my school, anyway). But yeah I honestly have no clue how any of the tafe-y stuff works, I've never really looked into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)