HAST (3 Viewers)

chsos

HSC
So for anyone who has already done the HAST and have successfully got in i was wondering what type of questions were in the maths paper as i heard there was science in it. Does anyone have any resources or sites so that i could practice ?? I am applying for year 10 so i was just wanting to know how hard the test is and how they chose you out of others ??

jane1820

HSC
hello,

so to start off my acc is fake (like fake name, email, brithday except my graduation year - i dont like signing up using my real details) anywho i am a real person lol

i did the entry into year 10 HAST last yr but i wasnt successful; i know you're asking people who did get in but i just want to be helpful...

i found no resources online last year and this year i hope to apply again for the yr 11 HAST but also found nothing but the math/science HAST last year (based on my Dori memory):

- time: there was A LOT of 'if i take the train at 3:20pm and the train ride was 4hr when did i arrive?' questions; now be aware they aren't that easy so maybe practise 'advanced/extension' time questions (?)

- science was mostly biology for me (my sister who attempted the year 11 HAST and got shortlisted for St George Girls said that she had physics and chemistry but not biology so it depends - highly doubt you'll get like geology, environmental ....)
eg. for the biology section: it was labelling the skin (i was studying those at the time in school so I 'think' lol that i got that right) also had to do with enzymes (i remember there was a table telling me something like 'if someone has this disease which enzyme will help him' also wasn't that easy but i guess you get the glimpse?)

- sorry idr the rest of the exam but there was more 'math' than science for sure

for the hardness of the exam: i wasn't prepared had no idea what i was doing so and the science got me very off guard so i would rate the english: 4/10, math/science 2/10, abstract reasoning ( was very easy for me cus it was the only think i actually studied lol) 8.5/10, writing 6/10 (uderstood the question just didnt know what to write lol: the topic (if ur interetsed is: there is no such thing as harmless gossip, do you agree?)

and lastly your question about how they choose you; well regardless of how well you did or got, if u don't have a lot of cocurricular evidence, competition evidence, good grades (max 4 B's) etc. they won't take you. it's how you're able to comprehend and answer the question they're interested in not how many you get right.

chsos

HSC
hello,

so to start off my acc is fake (like fake name, email, brithday except my graduation year - i dont like signing up using my real details) anywho i am a real person lol

i did the entry into year 10 HAST last yr but i wasnt successful; i know you're asking people who did get in but i just want to be helpful...

i found no resources online last year and this year i hope to apply again for the yr 11 HAST but also found nothing but the math/science HAST last year (based on my Dori memory):

- time: there was A LOT of 'if i take the train at 3:20pm and the train ride was 4hr when did i arrive?' questions; now be aware they aren't that easy so maybe practise 'advanced/extension' time questions (?)

- science was mostly biology for me (my sister who attempted the year 11 HAST and got shortlisted for St George Girls said that she had physics and chemistry but not biology so it depends - highly doubt you'll get like geology, environmental ....)
eg. for the biology section: it was labelling the skin (i was studying those at the time in school so I 'think' lol that i got that right) also had to do with enzymes (i remember there was a table telling me something like 'if someone has this disease which enzyme will help him' also wasn't that easy but i guess you get the glimpse?)

- sorry idr the rest of the exam but there was more 'math' than science for sure

for the hardness of the exam: i wasn't prepared had no idea what i was doing so and the science got me very off guard so i would rate the english: 4/10, math/science 2/10, abstract reasoning ( was very easy for me cus it was the only think i actually studied lol) 8.5/10, writing 6/10 (uderstood the question just didnt know what to write lol: the topic (if ur interetsed is: there is no such thing as harmless gossip, do you agree?)

and lastly your question about how they choose you; well regardless of how well you did or got, if u don't have a lot of cocurricular evidence, competition evidence, good grades (max 4 B's) etc. they won't take you. it's how you're able to comprehend and answer the question they're interested in not how many you get right.

And good luck for your hast (if your doing ) :)
Thank you so much for the tips !! And i also found out that the HAST test is the same test for year 10 and 11 entry applicants so maybe that's why its a it more difficult. To prepare i found this sight called Notesedu and its a bit expensive but so far really helpful. The only thing it's missing is the science aspect in the math so that was why i was wonderng how hard the math test was, as i am generally weak in science. I was also wondering what you meant by max four B's, as for my semester report this year i got 3 A's and i'm not sure if that's sufficient, i also have a bunch of co curriculars like dance and public speaking, so i feel pretty confident in terms of the school aspect.

However I've heard alot of my friends and other kids from diff schools are applying in year 10 coz they are opening up a whole new class. So im a bit concerned about the competition as i heard no matter how you do in the test only ranks will matter.

KoKoNutz

HSC
What he/she means by maximum of 4B's, is basically you can have a maximum 4 B's in your reports, for example if you have 8 subjects the maximum amount of B's you should be getting is 4, in other words try to maximise the amount of A's you are getting.

chsos

HSC
Also out of the 30 questions for the math test how many of them were like science based ??

chsos

HSC
What he/she means by maximum of 4B's, is basically you can have a maximum 4 B's in your reports, for example if you have 8 subjects the maximum amount of B's you should be getting is 4, in other words try to maximise the amount of A's you are getting.
ahh i c ty i only got 3 :( so idk but ig i cant do anything about it then

KoKoNutz

HSC
I'm sitting entry to year 10 test myself so I'm not too sure about it myself, tho which schools you applying for?

KoKoNutz

HSC
ahh i c ty i only got 3 :( so idk but ig i cant do anything about it then
honestly that shouldn't be that bad as long as you do well in the actual exam as my friends who get 2 A's still get interviews and reserves for penrith for the past 2 years.

chsos

HSC
honestly that shouldn't be that bad as long as you do well in the actual exam as my friends who get 2 A's still get interviews and reserves for penrith for the past 2 years.
yea that's why im not too worried for school stuff coz last year my friend tried out and she only got 2 A's and got into Girra, but she's super smart tho

jane1820

HSC
Thank you so much for the tips !! And i also found out that the HAST test is the same test for year 10 and 11 entry applicants so maybe that's why its a it more difficult. To prepare i found this sight called Notesedu and its a bit expensive but so far really helpful. The only thing it's missing is the science aspect in the math so that was why i was wonderng how hard the math test was, as i am generally weak in science. I was also wondering what you meant by max four B's, as for my semester report this year i got 3 A's and i'm not sure if that's sufficient, i also have a bunch of co curriculars like dance and public speaking, so i feel pretty confident in terms of the school aspect.

However I've heard alot of my friends and other kids from diff schools are applying in year 10 coz they are opening up a whole new class. So im a bit concerned about the competition as i heard no matter how you do in the test only ranks will matter.
oh yh i've heard about Notesedu lol! i can't buy it though cause my parents don't want to risk buying it for me and not being helpful (like the HAST sample test which ended up being fairly easy and didn't actually prepare me (just mentally))

if you're weak in science maybe practice? (im sorry i cant lie and tell you it's ok so i can prepare you) also maybe study/revise all basic contents (if you've done VALID last year (assuming you were year 8 last year if you're applying for year 10) reopen the website and chose VALID practise because it has all basic stuff - i highly doubt the HAST will bring you hard science stuff like physics word problems of stuff like that) also be aware that they will probably bring you 'scientific' tables like the enzyme one i previously mentioned.

basic stuff for science like: density, enzymes, chemical reactions, physical reactions, classifications, time = distance x speed, stuff like that (also as i said i think the VALID covers everything up?)

what i meant by 4 B's is that as a year 10 student who attends the selective stream for a partially selective school i study 7 subjects ( each school is different - i heard Catholic schools offer 10 subjects in year 10 (please correct me if im wrong) and getting more than 4 B's total isn't a very good look if you know what i mean?)

i think 3 A's (if from this year) and your total number of A's from also sem 2 last yr is more than 5 i think it's pretty good

opening a whole new class is very contradictory depending on what school you apply, for example Fort St very very very rearly do they take anyone from 8-11 and opening a whole class is a bit of an extreme.

and if uk a lot of people are applying for the same schools as u for yr 10 then yes it might get pretty competitive but worry not at the end of the day you can only do what u can do (as in u cant change the final result but u can influence it - lol not me getting poetic)

jane1820

HSC
yea that's why im not too worried for school stuff coz last year my friend tried out and she only got 2 A's and got into Girra, but she's super smart tho
look it all depends ik someone who got a C (literal C) on their reports and was placed on reserve list for 2 schools from 3 (didn't get into any unfortunately but at least they were considered!!) so again it all depends

chsos

HSC
look it all depends ik someone who got a C (literal C) on their reports and was placed on reserve list for 2 schools from 3 (didn't get into any unfortunately but at least they were considered!!) so again it all depends
yea ig thats kinda true, thats why im tryna focus more on the test rn

jane1820

HSC
Also out of the 30 questions for the math test how many of them were like science based ??
it was mostly a diagram and a table (the only science questions i remember doing were the skin and enzymes ones) and questions (maybe 3-4-5) related to them

Athena392918

HSC
How do you think we could prepare for the maths and science if its diagrams and everything? Also does anyone have any comprehension books or website lol

KoKoNutz

HSC
I did the hast last year as a year 8 student applying to year 9, and one thing I could say is don't expect questions where you think you would have to word match, they are mostly trying to tell you to conclude and asking what the author or character is trying to say or infer to.

jane1820

HSC
How do you think we could prepare for the maths and science if its diagrams and everything? Also does anyone have any comprehension books or website lol
practise being able to understand, analyse, comprehend what table and diagrams offer (thats the only tip i can give lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)