Hating Uni - wanting to drop out (1 Viewer)

baci

HSC
This is a bit of a random post but I am wondering if any other first year uni students are feeling similarly.
I hate uni at the moment. I am doing what I thought would be an incredible degree at a great uni and I excelled in my HSC.

But I detest going to uni, my course, I haven't made any friends and I have never been so unmotivated in my life, to the point where I have failed a subject for not handing in a 40% essay.

Has anyone else contemplated dropping out or deferring/has done so? Or felt any similar sentiments?

Cheers

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I feel like dropping out but I felt the same way at school too....

Hang in there you aren't alone...

Have you considered talking to student support services they may be able to provide some valuable advice...?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe consider taking a semester of or going part time and working full time...

baci

HSC
There were times where I really enjoyed and loved school and could see the relevance of it.
I just don't know if uni is going to take me where I want it to, or if I am going to be able to stand another 5/6 years.

I have considered it, and I should, I'm just hesitant to talk to student support services after having such terrible experiences with counsellors etc. in the past.

I know I could hang in there, but I just can't anymore

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
There were times where I really enjoyed and loved school and could see the relevance of it.
I just don't know if uni is going to take me where I want it to, or if I am going to be able to stand another 5/6 years.

I have considered it, and I should, I'm just hesitant to talk to student support services after having such terrible experiences with counsellors etc. in the past.

I know I could hang in there, but I just can't anymore
Do you still have any contact/good relationships with teachers?

Maybe some societies would help you gain some friends or more ''friendly'' acquaintances...

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Maybe try chatting with beyond the blue?

Honestly it may be better to defer or come back to University later in life...

There is no point doing something if it makes you unhappy :(

Constantine

HSC
Not to the point of dropping out, but within the first five weeks I honestly thought about deferring.
I think it's just the sudden change really.

Hang in there, you're definitely not alone.
Give it a year and see how you go.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yes omg I fucking h8 uni

I should jus become a brickie

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Nope.

Uni is far from easy (i do have a decent social life but apart from that i am facing a lot of the same issues as you are) but be damned if i'm going to run back home to mummy because i don't think i'm good enough. Push through it OP, uni has a learning curve but it's all about taking the first step

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Uni isn't for everyone. Perhaps if you don't want to speak to a counsellor, you could consider speaking to someone like a careers advisor who can discuss whether your degree is the right one for you?

There are also a bunch of online tools that might be useful in place of speaking to a counsellor. Some examples from the USyd support pages are here.

In terms of social stuff, it's not too late! Depending on the uni you're at, perhaps get involved with some clubs and societies that are of interest to you as they can be a great way to meet people.

If you want any extra information about support services offered at USyd, feel free to pm me :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is a bit of a random post but I am wondering if any other first year uni students are feeling similarly.
I hate uni at the moment. I am doing what I thought would be an incredible degree at a great uni and I excelled in my HSC.

But I detest going to uni, my course, I haven't made any friends and I have never been so unmotivated in my life, to the point where I have failed a subject for not handing in a 40% essay.

Has anyone else contemplated dropping out or deferring/has done so? Or felt any similar sentiments?

Cheers
What uni and degree are you doing?

integral95

HSC
I understand that you hate uni.
It's much harder than high school and the social life is much harder to handle there since everyone have different times (unless you organise with someone in the same degree before hand to generate the same timetable).

However, if you do drop out, what other options do you have to suit your needs in the future?

You need to be able to adapt to the different lifestyle where you have to to take the initiatives and not have someone to hold your hand the whole way, it's how you can become more independent which is an essential skill in the real world.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Cheers
Yep. I did in the past cause of ~personal issues ~, but I made it.

Just try to stick it out and not fall into that attitude of giving up.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well do you actually enjoy the content in your courses? Or is it the lifestyle?

For me, content can get a bit hairy but it is interesting enough for me to keep up with it all. Do you have enough interest in what you are doing? Is there something of more interest that you could otherwise be doing?

Actually, I've found the hard part being that keeping up to scratch with all the interesting stuff is difficult. Sure enough there's a lot of interesting stuff to do once you hit a wider world, but of course the limits are imposed by time management and time itself.

I've grown into the lifestyle of uni, joined a few solid societies to which we all express common interests and made some solid friendships. This has made the most of my experience and I have not turned back to high school life ever since. High chool life was pretty boring and dull and repetitive in comparison to what a more broad lifestyle can attain. As I said, there is a lot of stuff which you may find of interest. It would be a good idea for you to single out a few specific interests and make some friendships amongst that if you are having difficulty with the lifestyle.

Sometimes in life, if you don't make the most of an experience then you might not enjoy it as much as you potentially could have. However, you must think about whether you are having the correct experience to suit your character. Do you feel there is a better tangible experience on offer which you could make the most of at this time in life?

Have a think about these questions when you are ready to do so. Think about what you want to do and where you want to go.

dinomyte

HSC
Hey! You're the one who started up the thread about the units of study a while back, right? We're doing the same course. If you want to, you can talk to me anytime :)

baci

HSC
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

I think I'm going to try my best to get through this semester, and then defer next semester. Perhaps Sydney Uni isn't the right uni for me (I am sort of feeling this is a case for a few reasons).

What is bothering me is not the independence. I fkn love that.
I think I've taken on too much all at a time of great change. I am working 3-4 times a week in a bar and tutoring and earning $500+ a week, trying to maintain my relationships with friends from high school, a boyfriend, keep up my band and have a social life too.

My high school involved a lot of independent learning and I wasn't really spoonfed directly (although I guess at high school a lot of it is inadvertently).

My plan is to take next semester off - actually properly research into different universities and courses and what they offer. I want to try and get some sort of work experience because I have never done that, and just see what it's like. Maybe I'll work full time so I can not work next semester, who knows.

I think its a combination of things, my anxiety and depression had always been quite mild, but they are worsening with the stress I am feeling about not knowing where this degree is taking me.

I'm just sick of theoretical study (I know it's just the way it is)... but I feel like I'm not ready to properly engage with it right now.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This reminds me of myself a little bit. Just make sure before you dive into a lot of stuff you plan it out properly and understand your personal limits. It is good to be ambitious, but do remember that ambition can lead to a large downfall if you don't take appropriate care of yourself and your expectations are not met.

Also, remember that if you want one thing, you have to give up something else. Time is a limited resource and do factor in that opportunity cost when you take on a task/responsibility/whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)