Have I messed up my chance for success already? (1 Viewer)

Typingtimtam96

HSC
Alright, so 2 years ago I enrolled in an accounting degree. However, at the time I became really depressed and dropped out of that semester but it was after census so I got a FAIL for 3 subjects. Now I’m just returning to my degree and I’m really keen to go super well and get an accounting Cadetship but I just realised my gpa is 0 from my fails. Is an employer going to look at my gpa when I apply and not give me a chance? Or do you think he’ll look at my grades for each subject? I’m currently getting HDs this semester

quickoats

HSC
If your transcript differentiates between fail withdrawn (FW) and fail 0-49 (FL) you should be okay - an employer should be able to understand. Sadly, larger employers (e.g. big4) with lots of applications might just skim CVs are reject your application just by looking at the GPA.

If your uni uses WAM they sometimes lower the weighting of first year units so that may play in your favour.

Typingtimtam96

HSC
If your transcript differentiates between fail withdrawn (FW) and fail 0-49 (FL) you should be okay - an employer should be able to understand. Sadly, larger employers (e.g. big4) with lots of applications might just skim CVs are reject your application just by looking at the GPA.

If your uni uses WAM they sometimes lower the weighting of first year units so that may play in your favour.
yeah I’m devastated because it doesn’t distinguish between the two. I’m contemplating changing unis because I’m studying online and then I might have a chance. I’m so annoyed at myself for being depressed but at the time I didn’t think I’d make it through enough to actually study again. This sucks 😕

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly don't believe your degree performance creates a lasting impression on your career post-uni. Having peformed at a pass average in my degree, it has not impacted my opportunities in my career.

I am not the exception and it works the other way with good grades at Uni. Albiet good grades get you a foot in the door to a more established start. But doing well at work could well mean your career could follow a similar trajectory if you play your cards right.

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Just a quick question, how many times can you fail a subject before your kicked out of uni?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Alright, so 2 years ago I enrolled in an accounting degree. However, at the time I became really depressed and dropped out of that semester but it was after census so I got a FAIL for 3 subjects. Now I’m just returning to my degree and I’m really keen to go super well and get an accounting Cadetship but I just realised my gpa is 0 from my fails. Is an employer going to look at my gpa when I apply and not give me a chance? Or do you think he’ll look at my grades for each subject? I’m currently getting HDs this semester
I think they'll see you failed one sem then they'll see a gigantic improvement, which is a great thing. Having fails then continuing to fail is definitely a bad sign though. Improvement is a good sign it shows you put in the effort and picked yourself back up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)