Having difficulty finding particular quotes in letters to Alice (1 Viewer)

ChocChippin

HSC
I need to find quotes from letters to alice regarding marriage; I have found this easy enough to find quotes in the context of pride and prejudice and Weldon's views on them, but I am having trouble finding quotes that refer to marriage with Aunt Fay's and Alice's own context and/or world

any help is much appreciated

ml125

HSC
I personally didn't focus on marriage when I did the course, however I did find a few instances in which Aunt Fay explicitly compares the two perceptions of marriage - can't seem to find the chapter references, though;

“So to marry was a great prize. It was a woman’s aim [...] It is the stuff of our women’s magazines but it was the stuff of their life, their very existence.”
“Arranged marriages are normal in great areas of the world today - and the record of the modern West in marriage matters is not so hot.”
“Marriage was stuff of our women’s magazines, but it was the stuff of their life, their very existence”

You could also look at it merely through the 'role of women' which would naturally lend itself to marriage, this is how I addressed it.

If you need any clarification or additional help feel free to PM me, you can also find my essay in the Resources section if you need it ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)