HEADACHE on subject selection T_T (2 Viewers)

JustKooL

HSC
Hey people,

My subject selections are coming up in 2 weeks and subjects that I am definitely doing are maths, maths ext1, physics, chemistry and economics (9 units). Currently I am having a huge problem in choosing english, I don't know if I should choose adv english or ESL, considering that i have only been to Australia for 4 years (year 6-year 10). Is adv english really hard?? I also want to choose eng ext1 as well because theres only 11 units altogether. Am I being overconfident if I say i am choosing eng ext1? Honestly speaking my eng marks are only average (or even slightly below my grade) So which one is the best for me? I am quite fine in other subjects (maths,phy,chem) I really want to do advance because apparently ESL is somehow impossible to achieve a good mark(same as standard).

So what is the workload and the texts in advance english and eng ext1?? Is it too late to start working hard now?

Thanks in advance.

cs01001

HSC
In that case just Advance, see how you go, then to Standard, if it doesn't work out, then ESL

HSC
how comfortable are you and how good are you at english? i would probably say do advanced, then drop back if you find it too hard. but i'm sure you have a good idea of where you are at in terms of english ability.

if you're seriously considering doing esl, why are you thinking about doing ee1?

as for your other subject to make up your 12 units, i advise you to pick another two unit subject (so you have 13) .............and drop it at the end of year 11.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah seeing as youre doing average in english, then dont do ext 1....start off with advanced and if you find that too difficult then drop back.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
scale wise and all ESL will benefit you heaps. Is it true it scales higher than adv ? well .. it depends on yourself as ESL sounds like id be very easy for you but if your up for a challenge adv sounds like the right path. I personally think ext1 may be a bit far .. but I dont known you so if you think your up for it then by all means do it ! Personally, I'd kill to do ESL. xD

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Don't you have to do Advanced English in order to be eligible to do EE1?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Kujah said:
Don't you have to do Advanced English in order to be eligible to do EE1?
Yes.

English Fundamentals (Can be studied with either ESL or Eng Std. only)

English as a Second Language (Can be studied with Eng. Fund. only)
English Standard (Can be studied with Eng. Fund. only)
English Advanced (Can be studied with Eng. Ext 1 & Eng. Ext 2 only)
English Extension 1 (Can be studied with Eng. Adv. & Eng. Ext. 2 only)
English Extension 2 (Can be studied with Eng. Adv. & Eng. Ext. 1 only)

cs01001 said:
In that case just Advance, see how you go, then to Standard, if it doesn't work out, then ESL
Electron drops to a lower orbit after being excited by a light ray of pride and hope.

summermagic

HSC
I'm doing extension 1 at the moment because I love english. There is quite a lot of work (probably due to the fact that I have so few lessons at school) and you need to be able to develop a deep understanding of any texts that you do. Extension 1 requires you to really read deeply into texts and you need to have knowledge of classic texts such as those from the Canon. I'd only recommend it to those who actually enjoy english. About 15 are dropping it in year 12 because they're failing at the moment, due to the fact they chose it solely for the scaling thing.

So far in class, i've done stuff like satire, The Canon, critical readings of texts (like Marxist, structuralist, feminist and more...), modernism, post-modernism and at the moment i'm doing the hero's journey.

Texts we've studied so far include: The Simpsons, works by Joyce, Woolf and T.S Eliot, The Once and Future King (T.S White) and Le Morte D'Arthur (Thomas Mallory). But that's just my school.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Hey L.L.

I'm L.U.

Hahaha. Don't type out our names though. School teachers spy on us.

Anyway, to the threadstarter: It is my firm belief that you should do the level of English you are capable of. Every one is different and circumstances are different also, but seeing as you've only been in Australia for a handful of years, you would be best doing standard, or ESL, unless you're really talented (and you might be!) and able to do advanced.

I know a girl who went to Burwood Girls. She came to Australia from Korea, and did ESL English. Ended up topping the state with a UAI of 99.95. So yeah, ESL is for those who have been in Australia for a very short amount of time, and it may actually help your UAI.

ccc123

HSC
Considering that you're getting mediocre marks in English currently, I would recommend that you take Standard English. Talk to your year advisor or English teacher as well, so they can advise based on their impressions. I would advise against taking Ext, because it is a very demanding course and really only for those who are prepared to study and analyse texts in great depth. You also require a very high standard of writing to succeed in Ext. However, again, talk to someone who is familiar with your abilities, and good luck.

Le3sah

HSC
I'd say do Advanced for a year and drop to Standard or ESL if you feel its become too demanding.

Ext 1 English at my school is a complete bludge (not sure about others) we basically watch old films every lesson and thats about it.

cs01001

HSC
Just look at your SC marks at the end of the year then you have your answer.

< Band4 = ESL/Standard
Band 5 = Advance
Band 6 = Ext1

deathxawaits

HSC
I'm having similar problems. I seriously have no idea what I am choosing and selections are in a week exactly. I'm currently doing well in maths (17/205) but I'm not in the advanced section, I'm only in intermediate maths. I'm not sure whether to attempt mathematics next year or just stick with general and try to do well in it. Any advice?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well I'd say try Advanced Maths. You can always drop down to general and I'm pretty much going guarantee you very good marks if you keep your studying consistently. Try it. It won't hurt.

deathxawaits

HSC
Thanks.:) I might just do that, and try my best. All teachers have stressed to my year to do subjects we're comfortable with, I'm really trying to follow this advice. Currently, I'm thinking of doing advanced english, geography and economics as well as one of the maths. Does any one have advice about whether I should choose subjects which link together with economics (like business), or choose different subjects ( like senior science or ancient) to create variety, because I'm pretty open for any type of subjects to fill in those 4 units.

cfair

Banned
HSC
If I did business along with economics I would go insane, I like economics but another similar subject? No thanks.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
cfair said:
If I did business along with economics I would go insane, I like economics but another similar subject? No thanks.
</3

Eco + Business = sex. Do not listen to these rodents.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
why must I share the internet with such fools? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)