Health Problems during the HSC (1 Viewer)

Supervacuo

HSC
During these holidays, which are really important in preparing for the trials, i've been in bed as i've had a kidney infection along with terrible migraines.. Adding to this, i have the stress of coming back to school next week with 3 assessments and another 3 the following week before the trials commence in week 3.

So basically a lot of my assessment marks depend on the next four weeks, and i haven't been able to study to my full potential. I've tried to read through notes, and prepare for assessments,but there is only so much you can do when you can barely sit up or at times open your eyes because of migraine.

I have been doing very well for the entire year, ranking 1st in most of my subjects, do you think that if i bring in all my medical documentation that my school will be able to help me? Like maybe scale my marks, because it's obvious now im not going to do well in my assessments or trials..

ARGGHHH

HSC
Supervacuo said:
During these holidays, which are really important in preparing for the trials, i've been in bed as i've had a kidney infection along with terrible migraines.. Adding to this, i have the stress of coming back to school next week with 3 assessments and another 3 the following week before the trials commence in week 3.

So basically a lot of my assessment marks depend on the next four weeks, and i haven't been able to study to my full potential. I've tried to read through notes, and prepare for assessments,but there is only so much you can do when you can barely sit up or at times open your eyes because of migraine.

I have been doing very well for the entire year, ranking 1st in most of my subjects, do you think that if i bring in all my medical documentation that my school will be able to help me? Like maybe scale my marks, because it's obvious now im not going to do well in my assessments or trials..

ARGGHHH
I know that you can definitely make a claim for the HSC external assessments, but I'm not too sure about your school as every school has their own policies regarding illness.

Your best bet is to gather up all your medical certificates and what not, coupled with notes from your parents, and I think the school should allow you some leeway.

That's about all I have.

Anyway, get better. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Supervacuo said:

ARGGHHH
You can apply for EAS (Education Accss Scheme) where you are elligible for 5 Bonus UAI points for University. Good luck.

HSC
lyounamu said:
You can apply for EAS (Education Accss Scheme) where you are elligible for 5 Bonus UAI points for University. Good luck.
But Namu, doesn't that scheme only apply for your external assessments?

I think she's more worried about her internals. (Excuse the pun..lol)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Not really,

Firstly tell your school principal/year advisor. Get them to get you special provisions for the HSC(if the problems will be on-going) and trial exams, assessments, also prepare documents for EAS, etc.

UAC said:
"EAS applications for 2009 admissions open in early August 2008, with the main closing date on Tuesday 30 September 2008.

EAS assists students who have experienced long-term educational disadvanatage through circumstances beyond their control or choosing, to gain access to tertiary study.

They are open to both current year 12 applicants and non-current Year 12 applicants. For more information about EAS you can download the 2008 Educational Access Schemes booklet (24 pages, 421kB) (for research purposes only). Information about 2009 EAS will be available on this website from August 2008."
http://www.uac.edu.au/mya/uac/eas.html

Schools really can't scale marks, but they may make an estimate or give you a supplementary exam if you are unable to sit the exam, once you sit an exam often not much can be done if you do poorly.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Start telling your school about it now. Ask them what your options are, (such as they may not make you complete certain tasks that you have missed).

Schoey93

HSC
Supervacuo said:

ARGGHHH
PLEASE NOTE: If you are sick ON THE DAY of the Trials, or ON THE DAY of HSC exams, then you bring in a Doctor's Cert -- if u were away from school, but not sick, you need a not signed by both parents and dated -- and then the school will normally FORGIVE you and let you sit the exams later.

However, the school cannot 'scale up' your marks if you actually sit the exams. My advice: DON'T GO TO SCHOOL FOR TRIALS, get a Doctor's Certificate, and SPEND THE WHOLE WK off studying :D yes i know it's unethical to do that, but you have NO OTHER OPTIONS>true. lolz gtg.

Hope you get better, it's awful being sick, esp when it's before/during exams.
James

P.S.: If necessary, you are allowed to repeat Yr 12 in 2009. This is called HSC Pathways, for people who get sick or have musical/acting/sporting committments - Bec Cartwright went to my school when she was on Home and Away and she did PATHWAYS, so yeah

Pathways or faking sick -- I'd go with chucking a sickie but lying to the doctor to say - "Omg. I'm still not better. My kidneys. Omg I think I have prostate cancer!!! :D I have to stay off school for at least TWO weeks" hehehe

It'll work, doctors are always sympathetic and understand the excuse for studying "stress", because they say "stress has a very detrimental impact on your health. it could drive you to suicide in extreme cases etc etc"

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

jazzbaby

HSC
at school we have an illness misadventure form system
you should have something of the sort at your school

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
jazzbaby said:
at school we have an illness misadventure form system
you should have something of the sort at your school
Was about to suggest something like this. Talk to your school and explain the situation. It's happened before with other students, so this is nothing new to them.

I'm sure there's some sort of procedure or policy in place which would even the playing field for you.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

~untitled~

HSC
Youll have no problems with externals if you let them know of your condition with plenty of time.

You might have a little bit more trouble trying to get your internal marks scaled, as i know with our school we only had allowance if you couldnt sit an exam in which case it would be rescheduled to a later date.

Cerry

HSC
If you're in any doubt that you'll be able to do your exams, or think that you might be effected by your condition, get a medical certificate, and let the school know - if you don't need the medical certificate, then it's no biggie. If you don't have it, and need it however, it kinda sucks. And it's important to let the school know before hand, rather than when you get your marks back, because that way, it's less likely to seem like "I screwed up, and now I'm trying to come up with an excuse"

Megson

HSC
I think in this case the EAS is not an option. To apply for consideration under EAS for health you need to have had 'a severe, long-term or recurrent
medical/psychiatric condition or illness'. Obviously, its probably best to apply but don't necessarily rely on it if you've only had a short term illness.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Drink some coffee before the exam. Or lie your head on the table during the exam. You'd still be able to concentrate.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Schoey93 said:
PLEASE NOTE: If you are sick ON THE DAY of the Trials, or ON THE DAY of HSC exams, then you bring in a Doctor's Cert -- if u were away from school, but not sick, you need a not signed by both parents and dated -- and then the school will normally FORGIVE you and let you sit the exams later.

However, the school cannot 'scale up' your marks if you actually sit the exams. My advice: DON'T GO TO SCHOOL FOR TRIALS, get a Doctor's Certificate, and SPEND THE WHOLE WK off studying :D yes i know it's unethical to do that, but you have NO OTHER OPTIONS>true. lolz gtg.

Hope you get better, it's awful being sick, esp when it's before/during exams.
James

P.S.: If necessary, you are allowed to repeat Yr 12 in 2009. This is called HSC Pathways, for people who get sick or have musical/acting/sporting committments - Bec Cartwright went to my school when she was on Home and Away and she did PATHWAYS, so yeah

Pathways or faking sick -- I'd go with chucking a sickie but lying to the doctor to say - "Omg. I'm still not better. My kidneys. Omg I think I have prostate cancer!!! :D I have to stay off school for at least TWO weeks" hehehe

It'll work, doctors are always sympathetic and understand the excuse for studying "stress", because they say "stress has a very detrimental impact on your health. it could drive you to suicide in extreme cases etc etc"

GOOD LUCK!!! :D
Wow, they start young on here. (Looking at subjects in sig)

Bec cartwright oh em gee :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)