Health Science HECS fee? (1 Viewer)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Hey ppls,

I've got a question about the HECS fee of the health science courses at USYD. Ummm, could anybody tell me the average of HECS fee each year?

And more importantly, can somebody translate the HECS info booklet into understandable English? Is everybody who fits the 'requirements' is given CSP spot? The booklet sorta implied even if you fit the requirements it didn't mean you would get CSP...>< And what *are* SLE units? And, who is the "provider" and how would I contact them?
Sorry, for the load of qns...I guess anybody answering them is going to get severe arthritis in their fingers when they're old...>_<
I'm sorry!

mandathepanda

HSC
Hope this helps:

Bachelor of Health Sciences - University of Sydney:

2009 Charges:
Undergraduate Indicative Student Contribution for a Commonwealth Supported Place:
$5,574 per 1 EFTSL
Undergraduate Indicative Tuition Fee for an International Fee Paying Place:
$28,728 per 1 EFTSL

The above indicative course costs are for 1 EFTSL (a standard annual full time load of 48 credit points) and reflect the typical pattern of enrolment for this course. The exact student contribution/tuition fee for your course depends on the specific units of study in which you enrol. If you are a Commonwealth supported student who has been enrolled in a University course before 1 January 2009, your student contribution may differ. The University's tuition fees, domestic and international, are reviewed annually and may be varied during the period of study.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
What are you confused about? If you have the marks and you're an Australian citizen then you will get a CSP spot.

HECS is worked out per subject. I dunno what the fees are anymore per band, but the higher the band the higher the cost. USyd has a tendency to rip health students off classifying subjects as medicine subjects when they really shouldn't be.

I only ever looked at my HECs bill to make sure I wasn't being billed for subjects I wasn't enrolled in (happened once...) but I didn't take much notice of how much I was paying. Most of the subjects were band 2's I think, so about $900 each? But I was also doing HIM so of course I was getting ripped off having to pay for band 5 subjects.

But yeah, unless you have to pay your way into uni because you were a dumbass and didn't get the marks for health science, then you will get a CSP spot. They go through that crap at enrolment.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
either way - apply for hecs. in about march, you should get a hecs statement that tells you how much the semester is (per subject). they then give you a deadline - you can pay the hecs upfront and get a discount (it's like 10% or something? idk), or if you just ignore the census date it gets reported to the ATO or some shit and you accumulate a help debt

they then send you statements every year telling you how much hecs you have accumulated. you can pay bits off at any time, but unless you pay upfront you wont get the discount

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
I can be found wondering the streets or the alley
HSC
~Fire Jade~ said:
Thanks for the link...it sorta helped...but I'm still terribly confused =(
Is there any more info?

Yeh once you get your offer from USYD, follow the instructions and on enrolment day thats when you get to ask all the HECS related questions. You'll have people there like me (wearing a teal coloured shirt) to help you answer the necessary questions.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Thanks Katie Tully and iceman_leith! ^^
It's starting to make sense now....
What's enrolment day like? What do ppl do apart from the obvious (enrolling...)?

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
HSC
~Fire Jade~ said:
Thanks Katie Tully and iceman_leith! ^^
It's starting to make sense now....
What's enrolment day like? What do ppl do apart from the obvious (enrolling...)?
Enrolment day is a lot of waiting around and going through forms. But people like me will entertain you. What else do you do on enrolment day well you'll probably join the student union and definately sign up for orientation camp its only $99 and its a 3 day party. Trust me when i tell you Orientation Camp will be so much fun.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
What is the orientation camp like? What happens *there*? If we're forced to 'learn' something...or it's a 'fun' but educational camp...I'm not going to show up. How much do you pay to enter the student union and what are the benefits?
Sorry for the load of qns....yet again. >_<

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Any sort of camp with Cumbo involves truckloads of free alcohol, mass orgies and lots of gossip for the year ahead. There's nothing educational, except you might learn some things about the opposite sex's anatomy.

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
HSC
Wow Julia, although as funny as that sounds and somewhat true its not completely the case. Its a camp where you meet other students in your course but most importantly its about introducing you to what Uni is like. The parties, stories, everything else that goes with being at uni (especially cumbo). Orientation camp is awesome! It's basically a chance to have a 3 day party. Your not forced to learn anything and trust me when i say it provides zero education...Maybe life education but nothing study wise thats for sure hahaha.

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
HSC
you CAN pay later via online or on Orientation day (feb 23rd and 24th). But if you pay on the day then you will secure your spot. What i'm going to do is put up a new thread soon that will discuss the student Union @ Cumbo called Campus Rewards and the fees and what you will get for them, Plus information about Orientation Camp and links to the new website. You'll just have to bear with me for a bit whilst i get all the info together.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
yulia said:
Any sort of camp with Cumbo involves truckloads of free alcohol, mass orgies and lots of gossip for the year ahead. There's nothing educational, except you might learn some things about the opposite sex's anatomy.
Totally speechless ^o^

Hahaha....:haha:

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Hey iceman_leith or anybody who goes to Cumberland USYD, are there any USYD buses going from the station to the campus?
Are they free or do we have to pay...and how much?
If not, what other buses are there to get to uni?
Is it walkable distance?
Thanks!

mandathepanda

HSC
From what I've been told- there is a bus from Lidcombe station to cumberland and vice versa that you pay for and a free bus from campus to the station after 6pm.
Otherwise, its about a 20 minute walk to the uni from the station ;when I went to check the campus out earlier this year it looked like a pretty easy walk..

lala2

Banned
HSC
- EFTSL is one equivalent full time student load. So at USYD 48cp is the EFTSL. If you go part time, it takes you 2 years to "consume" 1 EFTSL.
- SLE is the student learning entitlement. Each student is entitled to "one" SLE which is equivalent to 7EFTSLs.
- Each subject (assuming you take 4 subjects worth 6cp each semester) = 1 / 8 in a year = 0.125 EFTSL
- Since the student contribution ranges are given in terms of 1 EFTSL, what you owe per subject is its EFTSL value (0.125) x whatever band it's in.
- HECS and CSP are the same thing. You can either pay your contribution upfront and receive a discount (20% I think), or defer it to the tax system, and they will only take it out of your pay once you earn more than a certain amount.

iceman_leith

Sydney University Rep
HSC
mandathepanda said:
From what I've been told- there is a bus from Lidcombe station to cumberland and vice versa that you pay for and a free bus from campus to the station after 6pm.
Otherwise, its about a 20 minute walk to the uni from the station ;when I went to check the campus out earlier this year it looked like a pretty easy walk..

Thats correct, the bus fare from Lidcombe station to Cumbo is $1 but that might go up as its done so every year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)