Heaney Help! - Rftg (1 Viewer)

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Hey, can anyone tell me what the prevailing ways of thinking in seamus heaney's poetry is, and what values are represented. I understand how his ways of thinking have been influenced, but i cant put the dominating way of thinking into a clear sentence (or paragraph)

sarz226

ways of thinking/values of poem "Digging"

Family Heritage_Culturally significant: Irish History
Self Identity and justification of Identity
Portrays microworld (local community) ....he retreats from local community to another local community

Hope these few rough points help, we haven't done a lot on heaney yet.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I think the dominant way of thinking is a need to defend and uphold the cultural roots and resist global invasion, as it is bad. This way of thinking is influenced by Heaney's values, which are local in nature. His philosophy is to live by Irish ideology to find some meaning in his life.

= Jennifer =

HSC
[reviving a very old thread but it relates so there!]

does anyone have any ideas on how irish history is portrayed in blackberry picking?

ashwin

Creator
HSC
whoa this IS very old thread. well blackberry picking really doesnt have anything to do with irish history. its a complete retreat from the global in that heaney identifies with a moment in his past that is purely local. by ignoring the turmoils in ireland, he is retreating from the global. some teachers and ppl will try and tell u that the moss that grows on the berry's represents the english impact on the irish - this is complete bullcrap, so dont listen to them.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Its nice to see powerhouses like Ashwin were once n00blers like us. :D

ms.cinderella

HSC
does heaney retreat to his past (that is, his cultures, roots) in order to gain an understanding of himself in the present?

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Heaney writes of Irish history and his past to discover, rediscover, reinvent and reinforce his cultural heritage. He does this through either retreating from (personal helicon) or challenging globalisation (req for the croppies).

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Originally posted by Grey Council
Its nice to see powerhouses like Ashwin were once n00blers like us. :D
haha yes, there was a time where i didnt know what the hell was going on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)