Heeelllppppp-need to change subjects!! (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Ok so I'm a first yr and I've decided a unit I'm doing is not for me( I'm doing a bachelor of arts). I wanna change out of ling109 into say pol165 or legl100. If I do that now, will I get academic penalty? Also, if say there are assignments in those subjects due b4 the mid semester break, would I be expected to complete them at the exactly the same time as other people? I tried calling up about it but obviously they( the uni) weren't open.

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
1. You can drop Ling109, before 31st March, without Academic or financial penalty.
2. You cannot add another unit now, since its like week 4. Well you cannot do it on eStudent anyway. You could try asking LICs or unit administrators to help you out if at all possible, but I highly doubt they would be willing nor able to bypass certain procedures?

hannahxxx

HSC
k thanks. fuck. so, because I need to do that unit to qualify for having completed my first semester, I can't withdraw from it? Is there a way I can make up for not fulfilling the unit requirements in first semester, by doing another unit in 2nd sem? If anyone knows er that'd be gr8.

iwannarock

HSC
i've traveled down that path too.

you need to change subjects in first week. beyond then you need to talk to unit conveners and stuff. most of them wouldn't change from 3rd week onwards i found.

beyond performing sexual favours for members of the registrar office.........you have no hope.

sorry.

hannahxxx

HSC
ew. Just wondering about the "withdrawal" thing though. Does any1 know if in a bachelor of arts you HAVE to complete the first-year 24 cp spread evenly over the two semesters, or whether you can do less in the first semester and more in the second, to make up for it...

Kegs

HSC
You can do what you want. Why would they restrict you and say you must do these 24cps in 1st year or we will eat your foetus? That is just silly. It's your degree, there aren't heaps of rules here, just like a booklet about 165 pages. You can by the rulebook for 2007 for just $7. It is a hoot, I read it last week.

X

xeuyrawp

You really wouldn't want to pick up a unit and rock up to week 5 having to have caught up on 5 weeks worth of reading, revision, tute+lecture notes, etc... =/

hannahxxx

HSC
lol I can't do that anyway. Urgh I haveta do 24cp this year or else I can't transfer into my double law next yr. Life's complicated. It doesn't help that the registrar people aren't open weekends. How dare they have a life :D

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
You really wouldn't want to pick up a unit and rock up to week 5 having to have caught up on 5 weeks worth of reading, revision, tute+lecture notes, etc... =/
thats exactly how it is for me with a subject i've been doing since first week anyway. :confused:

i could change in to a subject week 6 before an essay is due and still be fine.

curse macquarie and their "change in the first week" rule.

iwannarock

HSC
hannahxxx said:
lol I can't do that anyway. Urgh I haveta do 24cp this year or else I can't transfer into my double law next yr. Life's complicated. It doesn't help that the registrar people aren't open weekends. How dare they have a life :D
anthony.tse@mq.edu.au

email that guy.

he works for registrar office.

it was what was given to me if i wanted to plead my case to change subjects.

K.

HSC
pol167, awesome subject! essay isnt due till after break, but we do have a class test next week :(. But we havent really read much...nothing a heavy session in the library couldnt fix.

Um if you need to do 24cp in your first year and its too late to pick up another unit this semester, you could overload next semester, picking something light in load and fairly simple, i recommend anth150, 2 essays (dead easy, topics are AWESOME), final exam=50 multiple choice and no tutorial papers, you just rock up and discuss readings.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
If they have a test this week then it is almost certain they will not let you in.

You can still drop the unit (as long as you do it before the end of thos week!), but you just can't add one now. I'm assuming your trying to transfer to law after first year, and thats why you need 24 cp? You could always just do the unit that you dont like and just read a lot on it (the reading you could theoretically have done to catch up on the test this week had you gotten in Pol could be used, instead, for extra lin study).

X

xeuyrawp

To be frank, law's for morons, commies, and lawyers. You're not missing out on much.:santa:

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
To be frank, law's for morons, commies, and lawyers. You're not missing out on much.:santa:
i back this statement up 100%.

i suggest a media course.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
you could always just drop the sub now before 31st of march. do 3 subjects this sem. do well in the 3 subs cause well 3 is easier than 4
overload next sem and take 5 subs instead of 4.
then you'll have caught up with what you needed\wanted to

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
i back this statement up 100%.

i suggest a media course.
*holds out his degree*

Oh you mean this one? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)