helllllp! (1 Viewer)

*rinney*

HSC
ok just a fewww questions from a slightly lost and confused first year-er :eek:

1. just say i miss a lecture, whether it be partially or whole, or even if i just don't catch a few words/sentences/paragraphs (!!!) can i still access tapes, ilectures and online notes etc or are these just for people who have a 'good excuse'. one of my friends said she's gonna take her own tape recorder into the lecture and tape it for herself...so maybs that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

2. where do you actually find these tapes of lectures etc? someone said the library and some are online...like for eg today i had ANTH106 and the dude said that the lectures are taped...does that mean i can access it NOW online, or i have to trek to the library?

3. what's the actual procedure with notetaking in lectures etc? ok i understand that you take down the relevant points in the lecture but then what's the typical procedure? like *yew* i feel great about getting all this disjointed info down...do most people type it up on their comp and just 'leave it for later' or are you sposed to further the info you've learnt by looking it up and reading about it etc and making summaries?!

4. when it comes to doing readings after lectures is it 'all up to you' ie to check the course outline and see "gee this is week such and such and such and such a reading is required for this week" or do the lecturers say for eg. "tonight go home and read this" :confused:

shit i sound like some flippant, worried, psychotic nut, but i wanna know these things early on and don't want these mamby pamby issues sitting in my brain. any advice, particularly from someone who's 'been there done that', would be rad!!

Cheers! :)

Last edited:

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
1) technically its "illlegal" to bring ur own tape recorder and tape the lectures. invasion of privacy or what not. u need the lectureres consent before u do that.

2)some lectures are online if they are they'd tell u. if not u could check the library they have recordings u can listen to.

3) thats entirely upto you. you could always sit and listen if it helps you learn

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
1. All lectures now are taped by their new machines "iLecture". Anyone can access these recordings, you don't need a reason to access them. You can bloody well skip all of your lectures and just listen to the lectures if you wanted to.

2. Lectures are found ONLINE, apparently available 6 minutes after the lecture they are accessible. The library also has the recordings on CD's.

3. Take notes and read up on topics that you've just learnt and don't rely only on your lecture notes.

4. Most times both.

Lainee

HSC
bscienceboi said:
1. All lectures now are taped by their new machines "iLecture". Anyone can access these recordings, you don't need a reason to access them. You can bloody well skip all of your lectures and just listen to the lectures if you wanted to.
Wow, that's a really cool idea! I guess we'll have to wait 30 years before USyd implements something like that. :rolleyes: :p

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
where can i find the ilecture recordings? cuz i'm hoping they are gonna record phil250, but i don't have a profile for it under webct!! :worried:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
jlh you should make your custom status, helpful member or something.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
jlh said:
where can i find the ilecture recordings? cuz i'm hoping they are gonna record phil250, but i don't have a profile for it under webct!! :worried:
check if they have added it now

1. of course you can access them, they're online, do it as many times as you like. in your own tape recorder you'll most likely be able to hear a) nothing or b) people talking next to you

2. on webct. i have heard they are ALL taped, you'll have to check your units for that info though. tapes take a week to get to the lib. ilectures can take a day.

3. i first like to know what we will be assessed on. if we're assessed only on lecture material, then i either leave the notes as they are or type them up - i just make them look neat so i can study straight from them, then i keep them.

if we're assessed on text as well (i haven't been so far) i would make a summary of the text and mix it with my lecture notes.

4 yes, it's up to you. i don't do them if i can get away with it. i might this year though... (as i said last year). sometimes they might tell you what to do, especially if you have to know the info for tutes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Everything should be on the WEBCT pages.

If they arent there, i guess you could ask your lecturer

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
i hope today's eco lecture is recorded....coz i havn't ask whether i can record in class or not~~

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
most of the lecturers don't mind if you record... thats if its not already recorded and put on webct...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)