Hello, just a few questions to do with haemogloblin, diffusion and digestive system (1 Viewer)

Fiction

HSC
Hello~
I was looking over my notes and found some questions past me wrote, and apparently forgot about. So I was just wondering (since I don't remember anything before holidays):

- does oxygen in blood diffuses across respiratory surfaces of lungs into the blood because there's a higher concentration in the air than in the blood? And if so, is this diffusion called osmosis? As in - is the lung tissue semi-permeable?

- do we need to know the structure of haemogloblin? So like globular shaped protein, 4 polypeptide sub units etc? (this is dot point 9.2.2.A2 "explain the adaptive advantage of haemogloblin"

- The form lipid is transported in blood (dot point 9.2.2.A1 (identify the forms in which each of the following is carried in mammalian blood: .... lipids" - do we need to go in depth into things about lipid digestion like:

However most need to be packaged into small droplets which pass into the lymphatic system and then into the bloodstream
· End products of lipid digestion that are insoluble in water are transported as small spherical particles called micelles
· Absoption of the end products of lipid digestion = pass into lacteal inside the villi of small intestines (instead of being absorbed directly into blood capillaries like amino acids and glucose)

and if so, are above bolded, micelles?

Thank you~

Last edited:

Fiction

HSC
Re: Hello, just a few questions to do with haemogloblin, diffusion and digestive syst

Also, what's osmotic balance? Is that just when osmosis is taking place to ensure homeostasis (by equalizing concentration)?

HSC
Re: Hello, just a few questions to do with haemogloblin, diffusion and digestive syst

- does oxygen in blood diffuses across respiratory surfaces of lungs into the blood because there's a higher concentration in the air than in the blood? And if so, is this diffusion called osmosis? As in - is the lung tissue semi-permeable?

- do we need to know the structure of haemogloblin? So like globular shaped protein, 4 polypeptide sub units etc? (this is dot point 9.2.2.A2 "explain the adaptive advantage of haemogloblin"

- The form lipid is transported in blood (dot point 9.2.2.A1 (identify the forms in which each of the following is carried in mammalian blood: .... lipids" -
- yes it is diffusion as a concentration gradient is involved
- no it is not osmosis because osmosis has to do with water

-that structure, having peptide chains contains a iron containing group in which oxygen readily binds too. That is the adaptive advantage. Then talk about why readily combining with oxygen is advantageous

-form is the key word: they are in the form of glycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol
Also, what's osmotic balance? Is that just when osmosis is taking place to ensure homeostasis (by equalizing concentration)?
-osmotic balance is the balance between salts and water
-to ensure homeostasis there can't be too much water or too less of water
-kidneys help with osmotic balance

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

- yes it is diffusion as a concentration gradient is involved
- no it is not osmosis because osmosis has to do with water

-that structure, having peptide chains contains a iron containing group in which oxygen readily binds too. That is the adaptive advantage. Then talk about why readily combining with oxygen is advantageous

-form is the key word: they are in the form of glycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol

-osmotic balance is the balance between salts and water
-to ensure homeostasis there can't be too much water or too less of water
-kidneys help with osmotic balance
Just want to add something regarding lipids. They are transported as chylomicrons (clusters of trigylcerides, phospholipids and cholestrol wrapped in a coat of protein)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Hello~
I was looking over my notes and found some questions past me wrote, and apparently forgot about. So I was just wondering (since I don't remember anything post holidays):

- The form lipid is transported in blood (dot point 9.2.2.A1 (identify the forms in which each of the following is carried in mammalian blood: .... lipids" - do we need to go in depth into things about lipid digestion like:

However most need to be packaged into small droplets which pass into the lymphatic system and then into the bloodstream
· End products of lipid digestion that are insoluble in water are transported as small spherical particles called micelles
· Absoption of the end products of lipid digestion = pass into lacteal inside the villi of small intestines (instead of being absorbed directly into blood capillaries like amino acids and glucose)

and if so, are above bolded, micelles?

Thank you~
- Yes, it is called diffusion. No osmosis, osmosis only pertains to water. Lung tissue is semi permeable yes.
- Not so much detail, rather there is 4 heme groups on each hemoglobin molecule which can carry oxygen.
- No, not so much detail, just that they are transported in glycerol form in the blood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)