Help answering those tricky 7 markers (1 Viewer)

BlakeOlivo

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, last-minute plea, I need major help answering the 7 markers that decide to be a pain and compact 5 dot points in one question. If you look at the 2011 HSC 7 marker, it seems like a simple question, but the sample answers branch off into a variety of syllabus dot points that I would not pick up immediately (e.g. polypeptide sequences/mutations... a combination of blueprint and search :S). Here's the question:

Fungi are a natural source of antibiotics. A scientist developed a new antibiotic by
exposing a fungus to radiation.
Information relevant to this antibiotic:
• It stops the activity of an enzyme in pathogenic bacteria.
• It has no effect on a similar enzyme in humans.
• The chemical composition of the enzyme in humans differs from the enzyme in the pathogenic bacteria by two amino acids.
• It is used to treat humans infected with the pathogenic bacteria.
Using this example and other relevant knowledge, describe how advances in our understanding of biology have implications for society.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I think the only way is to highlight/underline key words then make a quick plan

I think that's all you can do.

samantha.rose

Samantha Rose
HSC
wow i agree... just had a look at the solution and it seems kinda unrelated to the question :/
i would definitely freak out if i saw something like that tomorrow, however, my approach would be to try address each of the features of the new fungus and dump any related knowledge in, and then wrap it up with the implications for society

definitely wouldn't have guessed the part about not releasing it into the environment or the polypeptide crap, and i would've just assumed resistance was the reason they made it in the first place. very yucky question.

good luck!

7eleven

HSC
N/A
defining the major terms within the question would be the way to start with the 7 markers and gradually work towards targeting the question

RishBonjour

HSC
Lol, 8 markers will rape me tomorrow. Will start cramming all 4 topcis in about 30 mins (just finished an exam) But What most people do with 8 markers:

- you generally have a lot of time left in bio, so its good to spend around 20 ish mins on an 8 marker (if you can) - make a nice plan or just dot points around the page of everything that relates to question + "relavent terms" and all that. And then just write it .

( I just write it straight down because I dislike bio to a great extent atm)

dawooddaman

HSC
Dw about 2011/10 paper there a very small chance they repeat, study your BOL and option and you'll be sweet

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I just read the Success One answers for this question and it seems pretty reasonable.
It talks about firstly, Alexander Fleming and his contribution to biology by discovering antibiotics which has significantly tolerated bacterial pathogens and thus reduced the amount of people that die from it, when it can now be controlled
Secondly, they talk about Louis Pasteur and his control of disease. Through his experiment (the swan-neck one), he consequently demonstrate the reason for hygienic purposes. So washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough, all that type of stuff.

To me, this question seems pretty reasonable and broad, but I think the sample answers are taking it from a different context.
They talk about advances in biology that have allowed the production of antibiotics, but I'd agree, it's pretty weird.

Don't be worried. Tackling these type of questions requires a broad mind. These type of questions are there to see whether you can APPLY your knowledge, not just simply regurgitate it ^_^

Dedication_

HSC
Can anyone summarise what ALL scientists in Blue print of Life have contributed, and their proposed theories? If possible, thank you:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)