HELP- B Advanced Maths ( Financial Mathematics + Statistics) - HELP (1 Viewer)

pc1992

HSC
Hey guys,

I've checked the handbook and it looks like for a major in financial maths + stats u need to study:

1st year: MATH 1901, 1902, 1903, 1905 = 12 units
2nd year: STAT2911, 2912 MATH 2961, 2970 = 24 units
3rd year: STAT 3911, 3912 MATH 3975 + one elective = 24 units

so this adds up to 60 maths units. I was wondering, what can i choose for the units of credit that remain

I'm doing combined law, so i have 96 in a science program. so i should have about 36 left without overloading to fill up the degree. Is it possible to choose units from another faculty to fill up the degree?

I asked a professor there and he sed i could choose commerce units to complete my science degree......but in every sample program i've seen, it ses ur meanto pick "science electives"....so i wasn't too sure about this...

My question is: are u allowed to take commerce units in a science degree? (as stupid as it sounds, i apologise now if its a stupid question)

It would be so awesome if i can fill it up with commerce units instead of some unrelated science units (like physics or something) :D

thanks for the help guys.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You can do commerce course up to a limit, since there is a minimal number of cp you must do from science (36 in junior I believe, check the handbook).

pc1992

HSC
so basically I have 4 science electives in the first year which i MUST do science units, and then in year 2 for the 2 electives i may choose commerce?

ssglain

HSC
You can do up to 48cp from a different faculty - almost anything from Arts, Economics & Business and Engineering.

ssglain

HSC
Sorry, my bad - 48cp from a different faculty if you're doing a single science degree.

The 96cp required to complete your science degree is divided into
  • 12cp of junior maths & stats
  • at least 24cp of junior units from at least 2 areas other than maths & stats
  • 60cp of intermediate/senior science
So technically, you will have no room to take any subjects from a different faculty without overloading. Although I suspect that the resolution is more flexible than what's stated in the handbook.

pc1992

HSC
ohh okay, thnx for that

damnit thats so retarded why is it still called advanced mathematics when i need to do some other random science units.

jet

Banned
HSC
Well you have to do your major in the advanced mathematics units in third year...

ssglain

HSC
I have to point out that the rule about at least 24cp of junior units from at least 2 areas other than maths & stats is very very flexible.

There are only 15 cp of junior maths units available anyway so you will inevitably take at least 24cp of junior units from other areas of science. You can, of course, do TSP projects in maths & stats, or take 2nd/3rd year maths & stats subjects through TSP if you really don't want to do any other science units at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)