help bio half yearly (1 Viewer)

ellewishes

the syllabus is so confusing !!!!! how do i set out my notes? i cant understand wat the sylllabus is asking. Please help!!!!!!

Cab31

HSC
Hey dont stress! Calm down! The Syllabus is extrememly long in Bio and there is a lot to know but its easiest to learn it all if you go down one column at a time (as opposed to across rows). If you are having trouble answering some of the dot points, have a look at the resources page where i have put my notes (under cab31) for all the cores and the option communication. I also put up my prac notes because i know that last year they were really lacking in that section.

It also helps to really look at the words that describe what you have to do (e.g. Examine, analyse, outline etc.) Because these will ultimately determine which questions in the paper are worth say 2-3 marks and which are worth 5-7 marks (the higher order skills such as analyse and examine will be worth the higher marks so it is important to learn these areas in a lot more detail).

have a look at some past half yearly exams on the resources site as well because that will give you an idea of the kind of questions that will be asked.

Hope that helps!!

Smiddy

50% deaf...
HSC
hey ellewishes,
nice name thats wat my i get called wen i go to work, btw my name is Elle!
Yeah dont stress hey the syllabus is really easy to follow. just go through the dot points as though they r questions, these become really good study points. To get the most out of the syllabus buy the bio excell book, it practacly answers all the dot points, in order most of the time its worth every cent!
Hope this helps!
SMIDDY

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
hey for bio what i did was wrote answers for every dot pt. if u dont cover it in class try and find charles sturt notes or pm me for mine i should be able to upload most of the typed ones to you

Abtari

HSC
Past papers

Cab31 said:
have a look at some past half yearly exams on the resources site as well because that will give you an idea of the kind of questions that will be asked.

Hope that helps!!

does anyone know if there are past papers and other exam questions on the resource site bcos i couldn't find any. Where can i get past papers?... thanx :)

Cab31

HSC
I dont know how many are on the site, but you should really invest in the success one HSC past question booklet. It has the past HSC exams in it and worked answers which are the best thing about it. Basically each question will link to a syllabus dot point, so in actual fact, the answers can also be used to summarise syllabus dot points (thats what i used them for). The book is also great for familiarising yourself with the HSC bio exam style - which was different to what my trials and half yearly's were like.
You can get them from book shops, or ask your library if they have them!
I got a band 6 in bio and this was one of the keys i used to getting that mark.

By the way the past exams on the resources site are right down the bottom in the general section:

here is one:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/2003_Biology_T_CSSA_CSSA.pdf

there are quite a few others too

Last edited:

Abtari

HSC
by the way.. :D

thanx heaps for the advice Cab31. what scaled mark did you end up getting for bio? u mentioned band6....

i heard bio isnt scaled as much as other sciences.. i hope it boosts my uai.

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
some great suggestions above! But if your lazy elle just go to the CSU websites and model ur notes after theirs. Of course their notes are are bit limited and not really detailed at all (sometimes when you read what they wrote after a syllabus point ur thinking "that doesnt even relate to the question dammitt!") BUT its good to see where you have to go roughly anyway!!!

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/

Hope it helps!

Abtari

HSC
csu website..good and bad

i agree. sometimes i feel like the csu website is just rambling some bullcrap totally out of context (especially in biology) but it also can provide a template for answers. but i hate it when i am confused about something, go to the site and end up more confused then before!! :chainsaw:

ah well...nothing is perfect i guess

Cab31

HSC
I dont really know what you mean by scaled mark - but my final HSC mark was 92. Dont pay much attention to scaling. It all becomes to overwelming - just try to beat as many people as you can and scaling wont affect you much :)
Glad that stuff helped by the way

ishq

brown?
HSC
Cab31 said:
I dont really know what you mean by scaled mark - but my final HSC mark was 92. Dont pay much attention to scaling. It all becomes to overwelming - just try to beat as many people as you can and scaling wont affect you much :)
Glad that stuff helped by the way
Congratulations on your mark Cab31! *jealous*
I was just wondering what your ranks/marks were like in school? Your internal assessment marks?
I am completely lost in the scaling/aligning arena too!

Cab31

HSC
I was ranked second at School, and ended up with both my HSC and Assessment marks as 92. They marked us quite hard at school though. I remember adding up all my assessment marks and it was about 82. Our school must have done much better in the test though because we all ended up with much better marks than what we were getting at school.

If you guys want my notes, they are under CAB31 in the resources section. There is one in each core, plus the communication option plus i typed up all my pracs and put them on there because last year there really wasnt any resources for the pracs. I used the success one book a lot to make my summaries, as well as cross referencing from excel, heinemann and maquarie.

Good luck guys! And make sure you do some practice tests of the actual HSC because you will find that its a lot more about applying your knowledge to the syllabus areas as opposed to merely reciting stuff. A lot of people dont realise this and they lack the knowledge of the key concepts of bio that would have been much easier to learn that just memorising things they dont understand.

Abtari

HSC
wow...thanks Cab31. inspiring! :D

what uai did you end up with btw? i know its the wrong thread..

Cab31

HSC
I ended up getting 98.10 - which was great because it got me into the course i wanted to do - podiatry and human movement. It was really surprising to get that UAI too because i didnt do really high scaling subjects. Just proves you dont have to do extension courses and things to get a good UAI!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)