HELP!!! Building a DC motor (1 Viewer)

marshmallo

HSC
hey i've gotta build a dc motor for my assessment and i wanted to know where i'd be able to get all the stuff like especially the carbon brushes or at least some other awesome alternative and no my dick smiths doesn't have anything

Chaosenigma

HSC
Well, i'm not too sure where to get the materials other than dick smith, but a tip for the carbon brushes, if you need an alternative and have some flat copper strips:

+= =
======
O
======
= =-

Excuse the ascii art, but if your setup is rigid enough you can use copper/ other conducting strips pressed against the split ring commutator. You'll lose some speed due to friction though.

If you really need a carbon brush carefully cut open a C or D battery and there should be a carbon rod you can use as a brush

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
carbon brushes maybe replaced by al foil ( easier to get + conduct electricity)... commutator maybe constructed with proper manipulation of al foil.

thehootman

HSC
Dont bother using carbon brushes:
a) If you have a crappy, homemade commutator, the carbon will flake off and fill the gaps in the commutator, short circuiting the motor.
b) The friction difference between metal strips is so minimal that its not funny

Also, dont use Al foil for anything, especially a commutator. Far far far too weak and flexible. Use copper sheet metal (like 0.25mm). Cut into two pieces for your commutator segments.

Invest in some rare earth magnets and winding wire and proper ball bearings.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thehootman said:
Dont bother using carbon brushes:
a) If you have a crappy, homemade commutator, the carbon will flake off and fill the gaps in the commutator, short circuiting the motor.
b) The friction difference between metal strips is so minimal that its not funny

Also, dont use Al foil for anything, especially a commutator. Far far far too weak and flexible. Use copper sheet metal (like 0.25mm). Cut into two pieces for your commutator segments.

Invest in some rare earth magnets and winding wire and proper ball bearings.
clearly we have not done this expmt properly, or you are just like me: very clumsy...

I have witnessed a classmate of mine built a perfect commutator with al foil. but i agree, rare earth is going to be very nice...

thehootman

HSC
Umm. Not really. I have built several electric motors that have worked in a USEFUL fashion - ie can have a load applied such as a fan. I can tell you that Al foil will wear through very quickly on a motor that is decent. If it spins very slowly and isnt required to work for very long, sure use Al foil. Also Al has a low melting point so when the sparks fly in the commutator, they will fly with inrelenting fury, showing you how fast your Al is wearing away. If you want a picture of my motor that is solid and has never failed and can keep running with no problems all day, just say.

timothy2911

HSC
hey i was just wondering about the iron core, would it be worth having one, or will the weight of it spinning just slow the motor down?

thio.naidoo

HSC
N/A
hey everyone, i need to build a dc motor, and all the net has is those simple ones wid da damn coil and paper clips. does anyone know how to make a proper, strong dc motor??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)