Help! Can I come back in the HSC/trials? (1 Viewer)

february stars

HSC
Hey.
Just wondering, am I completely doomed?
If I've pretty much stuffed up my assessment marks until now, can I come back in the trials and the HSC and still get a UAI over 90?
I don't quite understand how the trials and HSC weigh up compared to assessment marks.
Thanks.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
trials are worth around the same amount as all the assessments (25%), so around 25% of your total HSC mark is your trial mark. While HSC exam is 50%

Last edited:

aramik

HSC
ok I haven't completley screwed my assesments etc, ive come in the middle etc. I dind't want to start a new topic so i'll ask here.

If I get good marks in all subjects I do, software, ipt, legal studies, english adv2, and not too well in maths adv can I pass the 70-75 uai mark? It's all im actually wanting atm. Im talking mark's for each subject in the high 70's low 80's and maths maybe a bare pass.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
There is still time. Definitely. No doubt. The trials are usually worth quite a fair bit, and if you can improve on it it definitely shows you are on the right path. The HSC exam is usually quite similar to proper trial papers (Such as CSSA or NEAP etc.). So if you can improve on the trials, you pretty much have 2 extra months to improve on the HSC. Which is a lot of time to prepare.

Don't give up now!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes--as Ragerunner said, don't give up! I was so determined to do well in my trials that my rankings shot up immensely after the trials were over. For me, started with something like:

- 60-something out of 80-something people for Bio in Term 4 Year 11--shot up to 20-something by the end because of trials
- ahhhaha :shy:....second last out of 50-something for Chem in Term 1 Year 12--shot up to 20-something at the end because of trials

Four out of my 12 units, with English being quite steady, Music only having 5 people so not much choice in rankings there, and Maths being my strongest subject so that wasn't a worry. Just as well--I got UAI of 96.95, and currently am doing USYD Pharmacy. So, the moral of the story is, don't give up, and if you don't happen to go so well in the trials as you hoped, it's a very good lesson for the external HSC, where I basically shot up another 10-20 marks from my trial raw marks.

aramik

HSC
that's good to hear lala, Ive been studying alot the past few days and here's my method, if anyone agrees disagree's post here and give comments/crit if possible thanks.

legal,ipt,software - summarising whole sylabus... into booklets... core topic 1,2,3 etc. then recording it and putting it onto mp3, listening to it everynight in bed etc till trias/hsc.. also read over summarised notes atleast 100 times..

english - do prac essays, read book once more...

maths - totally screwed nfi.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
i find maths to be the easiest subject to study.

all the questions are pretty straight forward, just have to remember when to use each formula and how to rearrange a few equations.

memorising why you need to do each thing and how it works, rather than just rote learning that your meant to answer a question a certain way because the textbook says so, seems to help. try the application questions where a real life situation is used. i spent like a month going over logs and exponentials and never really had a good idea of what i was doing until i done a few application questions and everything started to make sense.

also past papers with the answers explained helps greatly.

butterflyxx

HSC
for my half yearly report, i didn't pass 2 subjects and on average for one. and i have approx. 3-4 weeks till my trials. am i gonna study in time to improve??? =(

McSo

HSC
Hey, I'm wondering the same thing, my marks arn't that great... I'm about average for 3u Maths (Maybe a bit above now. About 75 - 80%), Just below average in 4u Maths (About 30 People, about 73%), a bit below average in Advanced English (about 70%), a bit below average in Chemistry (about 65%).

I still have trials that weigh 40% (except English which weighs 15%) to go... Would it still be possible for me to get a UAI of around 93 - 95? (I go to Smith's Hill High School... Ranked around 45 or something)

rama_v

HSC
McSo said:
Hey, I'm wondering the same thing, my marks arn't that great... I'm about average for 3u Maths (Maybe a bit above now. About 75 - 80%), Just below average in 4u Maths (About 30 People, about 73%), a bit below average in Advanced English (about 70%), a bit below average in Chemistry (about 65%).

I still have trials that weigh 40% (except English which weighs 15%) to go... Would it still be possible for me to get a UAI of around 93 - 95? (I go to Smith's Hill High School... Ranked around 45 or something)
Because your doing well in maths I'd say you can get 90 + easily so long as your other subjects are not too bad. (i.e. 70% or so raw marks). Try to improve your chemistry mark though. HSC Chem is easy, if you devote time to it you can score high marks (just like for maths).

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
i find maths to be the easiest subject to study.

all the questions are pretty straight forward, just have to remember when to use each formula and how to rearrange a few equations.

memorising why you need to do each thing and how it works, rather than just rote learning that your meant to answer a question a certain way because the textbook says so, seems to help. try the application questions where a real life situation is used. i spent like a month going over logs and exponentials and never really had a good idea of what i was doing until i done a few application questions and everything started to make sense.

also past papers with the answers explained helps greatly.
you need to do more pastpapers ... ur learning content, but not applying them ( thats where it all counts)

Desiree

HSC
I've done the same, I have totally stuffed everything except for Art, and I want a UAI of 93, I have 10 days till trials and have just started studying and feel terrible.
I told my Chem teacher and he said, "your still in the game right up untill a minute before you go in to sit for your HSC exam."
So anyway, what I'm trying to say is have faith in yourself and I'm sure you'll do well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)