HELP!! Essay Question (1 Viewer)

Stevenchai

HSC
Evaluate the effectiveness of the international criminal court (icc) in dealing with crimes against the international community ?

Hey guys!!, can someone help me by giving me examples of the effectiveness and how I can link them to legislations an media articles.!!

HSC
With the ICC, there are some areas of clear effectiveness, and some serious flaws as well. Here are a couple of ideas. The main piece of legislation to talk about is the Rome Statute of The International Criminal Court, but discussing cases would also be helpful, as well as referring to the articles below.

Positives:
- The jurisdiction is limited to the most serious crimes of concern to the international community as a whole, and less significant crimes are prosecuted through complementarity (prosecuted domestically), which is a better and more effective use of resources, but can also mean that some cases go unpunished
- For a case about the effectiveness of the court in using complementarity, see the 2005 article Britons face Iraq war crimes trials
- There is a greater sense of justice for individuals through witness testimonials and individual accountability
- There is increasing ratification by UN member states
- The ICC achieved its first ruling on June 4th 2012, and found Thomas Lubanga, a Congolese rebel leader, guilty of war crimes for using child soldiers between 2002-03

Negatives:
- If a country has not implemented the Rome Statute provisions, then the court has very little jurisdiction over them, which is a serious flaw
- There are a number of significant missing signatories, as Russia, China, and the US have not signed up
- The idea of the Peace v. Justice debate – varying views on the concept of justice – do we want more prosecutions or do we offer amnesties to achieve peace in the countries affected
- Issues with the fairness and transparency of processes, e.g. in the article Lubanga’s lawyers denounce ICC trial as unfair (2009), there was some discussion of mismanagement of evidence by ICC prosecutors in the Thomas Lubanga case
- Resource efficiency concerns, as it took 7 years to start the first trial

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

Myans

HSC
Caramel Macaron has pretty much nailed it so I'll try add a few points from my W.O essay that weren't mentioned:

- Case of Omar Al Bashir rejecting the jurisdiction of the ICC, as pointed out in “ICC can 'eat' his arrest warrant” (Telegraph) 2011", is a nice case to use to demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the ICC in terms of enforcement (indictment rejected on the account of state sovereignty is an important point to mention).
- In regards to resource efficiency, this article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17351946) is very critical both in terms of time and money used in the ICC's short history.

Just to correct something: The principle of complementarity is not that serious cases go to the ICC and less serious are prosecuted domestically as CaramelMacaron has stated. The principle is in place so that the ICC can only exercise its jurisdiction where the State of which the accused is a national, is unable or unwilling to prosecute. This is why the ICC is also dubbed the "court of last resort".

And OP, make sure when writing your essays that you are not "linking" arguments to media/cases, but rather using the media/cases to support your arguments. Consider them as the evidence for your claims. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)