Help!!! Feature article (1 Viewer)

Felix Jones

HSC
i have to write a feature article by wednesday (2nd) and i cant write feature articles for crap.
the task is:

[FONT=&quot]"Compose a feature article for the literature and ideas magazine Quadrant explaining the success of the transformation of Emma and Clueless. You need to refer closely to both texts equally and assess their representations in relation to their contexts."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

please can u raed my Article so far (not finished), and give me pointers. ty in advance
:confused:

Felix Jones

HSC
Emma gone Clueless

“The transformation of Emma into Clueless has been one of the most successful transformations in recent history.” – Prof. Collins from University of Princeton.
Amy Heckerling has shrewdly transformed a Regency England novel of manners into a contemporary Beverly Hills teen movie.

The result is stupendous and the parallels, witty and clever.
The novel, Emma was written by Jane Austen and set in early 19th century Regency England. Although Emma is enjoyed by many, obviously the novel would not relate to modern audiences as it did to those in Austen’s period. This is due to society’s changing values and attitudes over time.

Hackerling’s success arises directly from dealing with this issue and capturing on screen the essence of the original story of Emma, but with all the language, setting and lifestyle of the Beverly Hills teenagers in the 1990’s.

This dramatic transformation of Emma also highlights the hanging nature of society over time.

In particular social values and attitudes about marriage and status of women in society are extensively explored.

The independence of women is clearly evident in each text by their relationship with other, in particular, men.

In Jane Austen’s novel, the secret relationship between Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill emphasises the male dominant nature of their relationship.

It was Frank who ma\de the decision of concealing their engagement, and although it went against Janes moral values, there was not much she could do. Even after seeing her fiancé repeatedly flirt with Emma in public.

In Clueless women are represented as strong and self-governing, in some cases more prevailing than the men e.g. when Murray decides to shave his head at the Valley Party, Dionne get furious and decides to call Murray’s mother. Here she is clearly represented as the superior characters as Murray is at her mercy.

The close similarities between both texts assure that Clueless can be identified as a transformation of Emma.

To those who are familiar with Emma, they appreciate the transformation of plot, character and settings even more so.

In most cases the adaptation of the little details of the novel are works of genious in its own right e.g. the secret engagement of Frank Churchill is replaced by Frank’s counterpart ( Christian) being gay.

This not only reflects the accepting nature of modern society but also adds humour to the clueless nature of Cher.

There are offcourse countless other similarities and parallels between both texts, they not only aid Clueless to remain loyal to the original plot outline, but also helps to assimilate the novel for modern audiences.

But not everyone is delighted with the transformation of Emma. Mark Gimmegood fron University of Kentucky said, “Emma is supposed to be a novel of manners and a glimpse into the past, what Heckerling has done is make a joke out of it”.
Well, all I have to say to that is “As if!’

If anything, the triumphant success of Heckerling has provided further insight into the original text. The transformation of Emma helps develop and mould new meaning in it’s counterpart and hence shed further light on both texts.

HSC
i'm studying emma and clueless too; i haven't yet finished it, but i feel there was one thing i thought i'd point out...

MФëỹ™ said:
Well, all I have to say to that is “As if!’
<---- i'm guessing that you should probably not refer to your own opinion, or write in such colloquial terms... feature articles should be an impersonal analysis of the text. basically, I think you need to find another way to say this. also, it reads like an essay rather than a feature article... maybe introduce the concept of transformations in an opening paragraph that sounds like it could be from a literary magazine or something.

but yeah, it seems alright so far, it's just the language in the above comment that doesn't correlate with your text type.

just wondering, do you have to talk about techniques at all? i saw that you mentioned characters, plot, and settings, similarities/differences as well as adaptations, but if you DO need to talk about techniques it's generally good to name one, an example, why it is used/for what effect, then repeat etc... unless you don't have to do techniques, maybe it's just my school that always does that. anyway, i hope that was helpful.

EDIT: nevermind, angryravinghobo got to it before me haha.

Last edited:

Felix Jones

HSC
omg....dudets u two are a legends. thank u. i'll get started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felix Jones

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i'm studying emma and clueless too; i haven't yet finished it, but i feel there was one thing i thought i'd point out...

<---- i'm guessing that you should probably not refer to your own opinion, or write in such colloquial terms... feature articles should be an impersonal analysis of the text. basically, I think you need to find another way to say this. also, it reads like an essay rather than a feature article... maybe introduce the concept of transformations in an opening paragraph that sounds like it could be from a literary magazine or something.

but yeah, it seems alright so far, it's just the language in the above comment that doesn't correlate with your text type.

just wondering, do you have to talk about techniques at all? i saw that you mentioned characters, plot, and settings, similarities/differences as well as adaptations, but if you DO need to talk about techniques it's generally good to name one, an example, why it is used/for what effect, then repeat etc... unless you don't have to do techniques, maybe it's just my school that always does that. anyway, i hope that was helpful.

EDIT: nevermind, angryravinghobo got to it before me haha.

omg thanks that was heaps helpful, i actually went throught the notification and rubrics and it says nothign about techniques, so should i still add????
the stuff that are in the include:
-explained and evaluated the effects of different contexts of responders and composers on texts
-explain the relationship among the texts
-explain the success of the transformation of Emma and Clueless
-assess the representation of the texts in relation to their contexts
-explained how language features, forms and structures of the texts shape meaning (ooooh crap, this is the technique...ooopsie!)

i wrote 'As if!' cos in clueless when we see the scene of the wedding and presume its josh and cher, the voice over says "As if! I am only sixteen, and this is California, not Kentucky.".....and u might notice that the guy Mark Gimmegood is from kentucky, and if u read his name as last name then firt it reads Gimmegood Mark, its the equivilance of the blimp on tv. lol.
but i'll chnage the name. thankc alot fot ur help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
MФëỹ™ said:
omg thanks that was heaps helpful, i actually went throught the notification and rubrics and it says nothign about techniques, so should i still add????
i'd say so. take the first assessment task i had this year, three of the rubrics were like "explain and discuss incident/situation 1" which says nothing about techniques, but the whole assessment was about our understanding of techniques. plus, your classmate, who i'm assuming has read the rubrics, said to use them... so yeah, dicuss some, even if it's just to be on the safe side.

i wrote 'As if!' cos in clueless when we see the scene of the wedding and presume its josh and cher, the voice over says "As if! I am only sixteen, and this is California, not Kentucky.".....and u might notice that the guy Mark Gimmegood is from kentucky, and if u read his name as last name then firt it reads Gimmegood Mark, its the equivilance of the blimp on tv. lol.
but i'll chnage the name. thankc alot fot ur help guys.
ahh i see, haven't watched the movie at school yet, so my mistake. in that case use it, but remove the 'I' from the sentence... so maybe write something like, "For those that have studied the text closely, the response to this statement is an instantaneous 'As if!'" or words to that effect.

glad i could help :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)