Help for CAFS students. (1 Viewer)

Kat92

HSC
I'm slightly confused as to what to include in my introduction and acknowledgements. If anyone has any idea, help is appreciated. :)
The IRP kills me.
You may wish to have a look at some of the IRPs from the resources section:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=35

Introduction, is meant to give an insight into your topic and sort of a brief overview.

For my acknowledgments, I just included the groups of the people that I had complete my IRP. I also had my principal sign it to approve permission for me to undertake the study within the school.

Kat92

HSC
Haii
Can someone please explain the difference between an Abstract and an Introduction?
An abstract is a summary/thesis that sets and ascertains what your paper will be about, it helps to give the responder a bit of an overview before the read the actual report on your topic.

An introduction is a beginning section which states the purpose and goals of the following writing. It is usually interesting that intrigues the reader and causes him or her to want to read on. The sentence in which the introduction begins can be a question (hypothesis) or just a statement.

For examples of how other CAFS students have structured these sections refer to the resources section. :)

youandmexo

HSC
ha thanks kat for keeping this going :) fml my other account got banned lmao!

coralie1994

HSC
Hey cafsers,
Saw a help thread in bio and thought it would be nice to do one for cafs. I got 96 in the HSC for cafs so if you guys need any help I'm more than happy to help you :) I really enjoyed cafs so I dont mind revisiting it haha.
So let me know if you need anything.
Good luck!!

HAAAY!:) sorry would you happen you have any study notes by any chance? if you do, that would be lovely & very helpful please?:headbang::confused:

youandmexo

HSC
I hand wrote all my cafs study notes but if you go into the resources section there are heaps of notes there :) is there anything in particular you wanted?

Briannaa

HSC
What are some services/groups/agencies that parents or carers can access?
- Health Services (carers)
- Welfare agencies (Carers)
- Parenting groups (Parents)
- Community groups (Parents)
- Gov. services (Parents)
- Childcare services (Parents)
- Carers' support groups (Carers)

smartalec

HSC
um the last thing she posted was a year ago, she is probably an inactive member now.

Kat92

HSC
Whatd did you find was the most effective way of studying for CAFS?
I found that the most effective way of studying was by:

* Making summary notes from the syllabus.
* Doing past papers and getting my teacher to mark them
* Reading the Excel and Leading Edge CAFs example answers.
* Looking at band 6 answers from the Board of studies site.
* Starting a revision session forum with other CAFS students here at Bored of Studies.

Kat92

HSC
I would love some summary notes for the HSC if you have any? Or anyone? :)
Unfortunately like Possessionless aka now (youandmexo) I wrote most of my notes. However, there are some good notes within the resources section on this site. Also Excel and Leading Edge have good summaries.

Kat92

HSC
What are some services/groups/agencies that parents or carers can access?
- Health Services (carers)
- Welfare agencies (Carers)
- Parenting groups (Parents)
- Community groups (Parents)
- Gov. services (Parents)
- Childcare services (Parents)
- Carers' support groups (Carers)
There is a list underneath the resources section about this and it is detailed in the CAFs HSC books.

smartalec

HSC
wow didnt think this thread was still...alive haha. what atar did you end up getting kat?

HSC
Can someone please give some feedback on my answer for the 2010 HSC paper Question 24 which was worth 8 marks. I am in Year 10 and I haven't even started the course yet but I want to know what kind of mark my answer would get in terms of Year 12 standards.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...oc/2010-hsc-exam-community-family-studies.pdf

This is my answer

"Age - as children get older, they generally do not feel that they need their parent's guidance or advice anymore, this can cause an major relationship strain between a parent and a child. The parent, may in some ways feel that they are being "alienated" or "neglected" by their child and so there becomes a major communication gap between an parent and a child and they both feel unimportant to each other, neglected and don't feel like they really need each other, this can also cause major arguments between parents. Some parents do feel that they always get to "control" their children's lives no matter what age, the child will eventually get sick of it and this will result in them moving out or maybe even cutting all ties with the parent.

Previous expereinces/upbringing - Previous expereinces/upbringing plays an major part in a parenting and caring relationship. Many parents do feel that if they were taught or brought up in a certain way, then that is how they should be raising their kids too. For example, if their parents brought them up to be a doctor or get into medicine, then they would want their child to get in that too. This can cause an positive/negative effect on the child, depending on how they perceive this and what they think of it. If the child feel it is too much and they want to travel a different pathway, and their parents disprove of it, this can cause strain and tension between the relationship. Or for another example, if a parent was brought up in an "indulgent" style, and they implement that on their kids, and depending on the characteristics of the child, if they feel they are getting everything they want, they might in some ways feel that they have a hold over their parents, so different parenting styles play a different part and how the children perceive them.

What do you think? How much would you give me out of 8?

Kat92

HSC
Personally, I think that this would receive around a 4 or 5 out of 8.

Some points for you to ponder:

*Incorporate use of wellbeing.

*How parents want their children to conform to societal norms.

*How parents previous upbringing may force them into a certain parenting style that might affect the relationship between the child i.e. authoritarian.

*Something about how needs and wants perhaps in the age section affect the relationship.

*Age of parents- how they are still learning and that there is no set guide to parenting.

*A bit more punctuation- if possible.

Just quickly I have detailed some brief points that would probably get further ehance your response towards gaining an 8. I have also included some examples for the other dot points mentioned.

As the age of parent or carer increases so does the chance of them being financially able to support a child.

Older couples are more likely to have established their careers and have more resources available to them and feel secure in their life stage.

Many carers are aged less than 18 years old and are providing support and care to a parent, child or relative. The role can have a positive effect on building relationships and developing skills. It can have a negative effect as they have conflict in meeting their own needs and those they care for.

I guess if you wanted to take this a step further you could put in recent examples of how granparents are becoming the parents of their children's children and how age plays a factor.

Education

Level of education may influence the type of relationship that is developed with dependants. Generally carers with a high level of education tend to research parenting techniques through books, videos and websites. Parents who are highly educated are more likely to have the knowledge and understanding of parenting and caring roles and responsibilities.

Many parenting techniques are being taught through formal networks such as schools and hospitals. This increases the knowledge of the practical and social skills necessary to be an effective parent.

The parent’s value of education influences their goals for their children’s education. A parent who attended tertiary education is more likely to encourage their children throughout their formal schooling to achieve similar goals.

Media

The media provides a number of examples of both positive and negative parenting eg ‘Super Nanny’. This program provides a range of strategies that can be applied to enhance family functioning through interpersonal relationships. Today Tonight, a current affair program often highlights the negative examples of parenting with the abuse and neglect. A number of magazines exist to specifically assist parents. These magazines provide information on topics such as nutrition, dealing with tantrums, toilet training, adjustment to school, and managing family change. This information will empower the parent and its application will enhance family relationships.

Television, movies and advertising can provide examples of unrealistic parenting situations. This may cause a parent stress or conflict between family members as they are unable to achieve these unrealistic expectations.

Previous experiences/own upbringing

The first contact that people have with parenting is through their own experiences as a child and observations of other parents. Concepts such as communication methods, discipline, parenting styles and gender role stereotyping have been modelled.

A large number of adults who abuse their children may have been abused or neglected as children. This will not enhance positive family relationships.

Hope that it helps! Better yet, if you want a true indication of excellent responses check with the teacher that is to be running CAFS next year or consult the Board of Studies resource section. :)

Last edited:
HSC
Thanks! Considering haven't even started Year 11 yet, do you think, from my answer, that I am in the right direction?

Kat92

HSC
Yes, I do think that you are in the right direction.

It is obvious that you are keen to do well in your studies. Over time once you learn the syllabus content this will enhance your answers. I can tell that you have followed a set structure and incorporated a few examples to explain what you mean, which gains the higher marks.

HSC
That's so good to hear. I find CAFS extremely interesting, can't wait for Year 11 and 12. I also want feedback on my answer from 2003 paper question 11 which is out of 2 marks.

My answer is:

"A sense of belonging/peer acceptance and self-esteem. Many of the youth who feel this way are heavily influenced by how other people perceive them; their words and their body language towards them as they are not mature enough to let it affect them. With a sense of belonging they will be able to feel that they actually belong and "fit in" and self-doubt and poor self-esteem won't occur.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)