Help! for Family Law (1 Viewer)

Cutieangel

I have to research the changes to the Family Law Act 1975, from 1995 to 2004. Does anyone know where I can find the information? I have tried searching on search engines, but all I could find was the whole act (which is too long), or some other thing that doesn't help.

'The Family Law Act 1975(Clth) changed family law in Australia. Outline how family law has been modified since 1995 as society has seen a need for law reform. Research the relevant changes and evaluate the amendments in terms of improving access to the Legal System.

Please help!!

cameron0110

HSC
I don't know whether this will help you a lot or not but at least it will give you something else to look up- the Family Law Act was amending with the Family Law Reform Act 1995 (Cth) and the Family Law Amendment Act 1999 (Cth). The law reform act basically changed parental orders and responsibilities to incorporate the principles of the UN Convention of the Rights of the Child and put more emphasis on mediation and conciliation in favour of the Family Court putting in force parenting plans and deciding on property division. The amendment act allowed pre-nuptial agreements to become enforceable if they were given with independant legal advice and don't appear to unfairly discriminate against one party. Hope that helps. I'm sure you could just type the name of the laws into a search engine and they'll give you more info.

santaslayer

HSC
Try using LawLex, a free database of Acts which outline all the amendments, repeals, regulations, long title, short title, date of commencement etc. type of information. :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You'll also want to talk about the Superannuation amendments that came about in 2001 to fix up the inequality that had arisen from judges granting the matrimonial home to the less financially independent party and the superannuation to the financially more independent party.

These new amendments allowed FmCA judges to split up the superannuation between the couple or adjust it in a more equitable way.

brunette

HSC
she obviously has to be from oatley

its the assignment word for word

brunette

HSC
ahh thats for me to know and for you to fins out ;) lol

is ur name sunil???

i-color

I think the last amendment to the Family Law Act was all aimed at recognising rights of children, and that children are of paramount concern in any case in family law. Stuff about maintenance and where the child would live after separation etc etc.

Also introduction of the no fault divorce (or was that 1975?)....mm I forget....hahaha

santaslayer

HSC
Fault divorce has been gradually introduced back to the legal system through common law means. :uhhuh:
No fault was implemented in 1975 if I remember correctly. :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, real no-fault divorce was implemented with the Family Law Act 1975. Before that though, the Matrimonial Causes Act 1959 did sort of allow for no-fault divorce.

The FLA allows for no fault divorce after a separation period of 12mths (and it is VERY liberal) - the only reason for separation you need is "irretrievable breakdown of the relationship". The MCA allowed it after 5 years of separation but in most cases you still needed grounds for divorce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)