• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help for next year; Wanna start out early (1 Viewer)

Start early?

• Yes

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

prabhleendua

HSC
Hey,

These are my subjects:
3 U Mathematics (Plan on doing Ext 2 (4U) in Year 12).
Advanced English (I am crap at English :()
Economics
Information Processes and Technology
Software Design and Development (It is supposed to be really hard)
Business Studies or Sports, Lifestyle and Recreation.

My SC Marks:
Maths 95
Computing Skills 96
English 80
History, Geography, Science 88

So, now I want to start early with Mathematics as it is going to be a gigantic challenge and I want to improve my English. If it is possible to do any of the others, I don't mind but these are the main two. Help me by telling me what books or websites I can visit to start studying.

I have got the syllabus to follow closely and this is what books I have already:
2U and 3U Mathematics books like Excel and 5 or 6 more Past Papers and Sample questions etc.
Success One Business Studies Past Papers and Revision Guides etc
Excel Economics and a few other authors
Excel Advanced English and another Advanced books

Is any of this useful? Just need your help to get started. I would ask my sister but she has gone overseas after HSC to have some fun ;)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
First of all, I commend your efforts to wanting to go ahead and your determination, your books are all you need at the moment. Although I do advise for you to stilll loosen up abit, relax for now.

English
The only thing I can suggest is learn how to write essays. Their structure and their flow. From here on out, you'll hear the word "technique" at least 100 times, so get used to it. Also, learn how to integrate techniques and quotes into your essays. Also, read your texts, and make sure you know the techniques in each chapter/page and what not. Keep a reading log if you must (heh, I should take my own advice) and this will help you tremendously during exams.

The thing for English is, english lovers find it as easy as we find Maths. Cept for me, Maths is all logic, for them, it's all about making a claim, backing it up.

When you make a claim, you should have -

-What is the claim
- Where is it (quote)
- Techniques?
- Aim of the technique
- What this tells us/Why is the claim there.

Math

Do your homework, listen in class, ASK ASK ASK questions, do NOT be afriad to ask, one thing you're clueless on can be another persons strength, but your strength might be another's weakness, so you need to cover EVERYTHING you can. Past papers help, but for prelim it's simply minute abstract thinking, just more so "heres a problem, find an appropriate formula, sub in values".

Also, learn your graphs and TRIGONOMETRY. It will be VERY important in BOTH 3u and 4u next year, DO NOT SLACK OFF IN TRIG.

Software Design

If you were like me, and have the ambition of making software etc. for this subject, be in for a HUGE surprise. The SDD course is mainly documentatino (that is, theory). The prelim course is getting used to the processes of coding and the documentation behind it, you'll need to learn types of data etc. and so, this is a theory based subject for the prelim year. You'll learn abit of coding, but I suggest you try to make friends with someoen who actually does coding and knows alot about it, it'll be a life-saver in HSC year (i don't do ti anymore, but my accelerated friends say that if you don't have a good coder in your group, it'll be alot of trouble)

That's alll I can think of at the moment, enjoy prelim! it's still early, so dont' be scared to have fun!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT

ramini

HSC
2007 school c:

english: 88
maths: 85
science:80
history:86
geo:81
comps:90

im doin maths ext1, eng ext1, phys, bio, chem, business next yr...

im starting my yr11 work now aswell, ive actually got a tutor so wer starting matsh ext1 and english... d excel books are apparently really guud my tutor and my maths head teacher recommended dem to me...

so if u want to start early a tutor can be a great help, especially wen the teachers at school cant explain something to you.... you can find dem for about $20 an hour

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Jachie said:
DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT
:spam: Why not Jachie? :)

Jachie

HSC
Waste of time, effort and freedom.

Go climb a tree, pick a lock, start a fire, down some drain-o. Just don't waste one second of your time by picking up a book, you will gain no advantage that is worth anything.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Jachie said:

Go climb a tree, pick a lock, start a fire, down some drain-o. Just don't waste one second of your time by picking up a book, you will gain no advantage that is worth anything.
Truth, really just listen in class and don't get caught behind in homework. you're wasting time AND money for tutoring, it's only prelim.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:

qft
qft
qft

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
join premium and memorise the notes, so 1st day back you'll impress the teacher with your knowledge so much, you will never have to do well in a test because you will be the teachers pet and get 100 internal HSC mark

Jachie

HSC
I was a teachers pet of sorts in Legal Studies in year 11. It was weird as because I was always shit at the tests and exams, but because I contributed to all the class arguments (I mean discussions :eek:) he still loved me.

WIN

Then last term I got a new teacher who moves me every lesson because he thinks i'm a 'juvenile' who distracts everyone.

FAIL :(

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:

There's nothing wrong with getting a head start.

HSC
prabhleendua said:
Advanced English (I am crap at English :()
ME TOO! And as tommykinds suggested, i am going to work on my essays because my essays SUCK.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
My pet peeve is tutors/tutoring places that teach ahead of schedule. It really messes with you once you start your course because you're trying to concentrate on two things at once. A tutor is only really helpful if they supplement what you learn in class.

If you want to start early for maths, just do some basic revision and stuff, but don't try to drown yourself in textbooks in the holidays. It's not worth it and some concepts you just have to have a teacher explain to you.

The best way to improve for English is to revise your texts types and try your hand at writing a few bogus essays. The most important thing is to do as much of it as possible by hand as that becomes vitally important in Year 12. You have to be able to write fast and legible so start practising now. Also, if you're so bad at english, have you considered going Standard?

IPT - don't even worry about it. It's like one of the easiest HSC subjects going around.

I'm not sure about any of the other subjects since I never did them, although I can imagine the level of coding you would need for SDD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)