Help for struggling RFTG students 2007 (1 Viewer)

kcchippy

HSC
Dave2007 said:
:mad1: I see how it is....

Kinda reminds me on like december 30/31st when people say "Oh, see you next year" and you get horribly confused!

Meh, i was just posting here in the hope someone would give some decent tips or such.

Haha, well it's so difficult to give "tips" becaust RFTG is a year's worth of discussion. I think you are better off asking specific questions or at least give us an idea of where you are going with the set texts so that maybe we have something to work with in terms of suggestions.

Other than that, this forum is filled with helpful posts already should you get a chance to read them, I recommend the discussion on paradigms, something I struggled to fully come to terms with in '05 at first. My first suggestion (something you probably did in your first RFTG lesson), is understand and interpret what the syllabus means to you and also I found doing a lot of wide reading helps, for instance if you're interested in the post colonial side of things, as additional material maybe have a look at Nadine Gordimer's July's people, fairly easy and short novel to read, but there are heaps of notes online via google on it and there is a lot you can use in terms of RFTG, but as I said in the other thread.. it's such a personal thing to give suggestions about, you need to know where you want to go with the module first.

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
kcchippy said:
I used the movie "samsara" (2002) and I found it was awesome on so many levels.
I've been looking for this movie everywhere and i still don't have it. :mad1:

Dave2007

HSC
kcchippy said:
Haha, well it's so difficult to give "tips" becaust RFTG is a year's worth of discussion. I think you are better off asking specific questions or at least give us an idea of where you are going with the set texts so that maybe we have something to work with in terms of suggestions.

Other than that, this forum is filled with helpful posts already should you get a chance to read them, I recommend the discussion on paradigms, something I struggled to fully come to terms with in '05 at first. My first suggestion (something you probably did in your first RFTG lesson), is understand and interpret what the syllabus means to you and also I found doing a lot of wide reading helps, for instance if you're interested in the post colonial side of things, as additional material maybe have a look at Nadine Gordimer's July's people, fairly easy and short novel to read, but there are heaps of notes online via google on it and there is a lot you can use in terms of RFTG, but as I said in the other thread.. it's such a personal thing to give suggestions about, you need to know where you want to go with the module first.
Yes, seems there are no quick cheat guides for extension subjects... Anyway when you say "interpret what the syllabus means to you", do you mean come to your own conclusion about whats better - global or local - and read the texts as affirming or challenging that? Also, your right...all that paradigm stuff is pretty hard to come to grips with...i searched around and found a pretty good table with the paradigm, a description of it, a quote, and how it relates to rftg which is helpful tho.

kcchippy

HSC
Dave2007 said:
Yes, seems there are no quick cheat guides for extension subjects... Anyway when you say "interpret what the syllabus means to you", do you mean come to your own conclusion about whats better - global or local - and read the texts as affirming or challenging that? Also, your right...all that paradigm stuff is pretty hard to come to grips with...i searched around and found a pretty good table with the paradigm, a description of it, a quote, and how it relates to rftg which is helpful tho.
When I say interpret the syllabus, I don't mean decide whether global or local is better, I mean interpret what it is actually asking you to do when you are analysing texts.

I'll give you an example (from memory):

eroding the barriers of time and space

Example: Heaney erodes the barriers of time and space through retrospective introspection (internally examining the past) in the poem "Digging" as he feels the sweet potatoes in his hands, he is spacially located in the present but through the power of his pen melds present into past. (rough example)

What I mean is when you get into the exam no matter what the question is, as long as you relate it to what you understand the syllabus to mean, then it's difficult for you to totally mess up your response. The syllabus text gives you an idea of WHAT you should be discussing in your essay.

Another example:
There's a clause about the effect it has on Individuals and society. Well when I used July's People to discuss that clause, and I talked about how Gordimer masters the art of character building through the use of changing perspective but simultaneously through intermittant newscasts gives an alternate view of how the society at large has been affected. So whilst globalisation and revolution impacts on the idiosyncracies of everyday living, there is simultaneously a change in the power structure of the wider community.

So basically I interpreted this clause to mean: show how your chosen and set texts reveal how the aforementioned changes (globalisation etc) have impacted on individuals and society; and impossible compare and contrast it. So look at the change at a microcosmic level (MacLeod's stories do ALOT of this) and look at the change at a macrocosmic level (I used my set texts mostly for this)

kcchippy

HSC
subjectiv said:
I've been looking for this movie everywhere and i still don't have it. :mad1:
http://www.videoezy.com.au/default.aspx?page=detail&itemId=28565

As an example of just typing the word "Samsara" into google and "Video Ezy" next to it. I live in western sydney, and I find the one in Wentworthville had it, it also plays heaps on SBS and World Movies channels, I saw it on the other day actually, but I guess it is a lot easier just to go to video ezy.

yasminz

HSC
Hey, i guess i classify as a "struggling student" at the momen. My lovely teacher left and my new teacher leaves a lot to be desired. Am looking for help from anyone who used "the God of Small Things" for their additional text.:)

kcchippy

HSC
I didn't do God of Small Things as additional material for RFTG but have read the book, what exactly are you interested in? What approach are you taking with it?

Also for an example on how to analyse an article in terms of RFTG syllabus, I've put up a new thread on sharing ideas and concepts related to RFTG, might want to have a look at that if you get the chance it's the "RFTG - great articles, philosophies, ideologies" thread.

rosietaranto

HSC
I don't usually need help, but I'm not looking forward to writing this assessment task, if someone could help with a list of good rescources to use - newspaper articles, etc etc that'd be wonderful

'Composers strive to be creative but they cannot help reflect the ways of thinking of their time'
To what extend have you found this in your study?

We're studying The Shipping news, it's an ex-hsc questions from the trial in 2004.
i liked the book, i know what to say with the book, but help with it would be great
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)