HELP!! French Ext (1 Viewer)

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
my 1st French ext assessment is coming up...
and it's on extract 1 and 2
does anyone have notes on these 2 extracts?
or got any advice on how to study for extension? :confused:

[[edit: whoops! juz realised that i forgot to mention that I'm doing Marius et Jeannette...]]

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Heya nemuca!

I have my huge leafletty things from OHS still, I'll type/scan them up and put them on the net on Sunday (don't have net at home yet - at school in desperation trying to check emails :p. I'll never leave the damn place!). So hopefully your assessment isn't due the next Monday!

En esperant que tu puisses attendre un peu :p

Chépas :D.

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
French ext assessment is on Wed arvo...
juz wondering whether I should watch the whole film twice
or concentrate on the 2 extracts, and watch'em like three times each
coz i know there would be at least one question about how a theme is presented in the film as a whole...

chepas

HSC
Argh. I'm trying to upload things but it's not letting my. And for some reason Angelfire is having simultaneous death spurts so I can't get into that to load it up there either ;( Sorry :(.

Wed arvo. Mmm.. Might be a bit late for my help lol! Considering I prob won't have net acess until next Sunday at best.

I'll try to rack brains now: Gosh only a month ago and can't remember anything! Need to watch the movie again :rolleyes:. Extract One I htink the big focus was just to introduce all the characters and establish what they are like/on about. From the first shot of the extract Guédiguian establishes that Justin is the learned grandpa, well-educated and respected (see: Gaudi book), and when stuff happens downstairs notice he's sort of spectating it all from above - indicating his character. Then the Prescribed Issues kick in with Caroline's little Castro outburst to Jeannette, and Jeannette's political apathy (Caroline: "Castro.... numéro de charme aux grand patrons Français / jeter l'enfant avec l'eau du bain" - general arghness and sentiment of 'WHY is he sucking up to the capitalists', contrasted with Jeannette's "On en discutera demain parce qu'aujourd'hui faudrait que je trouve du boulot"... (Coping with change is it?) ). Then Dédé comes home, cold exchange of embrace with Jeannette in the corridor of the courtyard "Finies les nuits?" she asks him, Dédé no answer. He's tired and shitty and then comes home to nagging wife. More political agenda/character setting/issues somewhere. Belonging vs. Alienation here I think. Voting for the FN etc, strikes, their kids. After all that, Justin, after having sufficiently surveyed the goings-on, comes down to join Mon's and D's kids, Caroline and Monique, with Dédé storming off.

I think the whole Belonging thing is pushed very extensively in this scene, rather effective outlet for showing the sense of community and sense of place for the characters. None more so demonstrated when Justin dances with the kids! Happy happy joy joy blissful utopia belong together etc.... Also as we now know that Justin was a primary school teacher etc... but yeah, Extract One big on community and B. vs A.

I can't seem to place Extract two a the moment. Memory blank!

HOpefully ^^^ wasn't too rambly. Just typed what came out from the fingertips cos in slight hurry.

Re: Watching film lots of times. Watching it repeatedly is good for trying to remember what they say and all the film techniques etc, but remember when we watch the flim watch it with purpose. I tried just having it on as background noise hoping that by osmosis it would sink it but it didn't. Needs undivided attention. Also, if for this assesssment you're only focusing on Ext. 1 + 2, for now, prob just watch those a lot and absorb info and really look for anything for what your assessment coudl be about. What kind is it by the way? Exam/Empathy thingo/M.C. etc?

Re: QUestion about a certain theme on the film as a whole - they're asking you that already? Wow. This time last year I would have barely been able to tell you what Extract one was in terms of a certain theme!

Good luck with next Wednesday!

Chepas :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)