Help getting started on UMAT pls? (1 Viewer)

canleyvale

HSC
Hi guys, Im going to 11 this year, and planning to get a head start on doing the UMAT, since i heard it was an excellent idea, saves alot of time, and very rewarding. The reason why i dont want to do the UMAT in year 12 is because i think it requires alot of time spent on studying it that i cant do because as you know year 12 is a year that should be taken seriously and time should not be wasted. So if you have any thoughts, suggestions, advice on how to get started on UMAT it would really be appreciated if you could share them on here. Thanks alot :D

BlackDragon

HSC
I did UMAT last year. I really don't think it is anything to be studied for like you said at all. It is more a test that focuses on your natural spatial and problem solving ability. Although it is important to become familiar with the types of questions that will come up, its not something you can remember things for. I can't remember the exact sections, but I know one was spatial puzzles like you find in an IQ test, one was problem solving questions (I found this hardest), and I can't remember what the other section was. You should go to the UMAT website and you can order practice papers to become familiar. But apart from that there isn't too much more that you are meant to do.

ajaxandacme

HSC
You cannot do the UMAT in Year 11 or you will be penalised by ACER and as a result, unable to sit the UMAT for a couple of years.

From the ACER UMAT website.
"Attempting to take UMAT in any year prior to final year of secondary schooling. Any candidate found to be cheating will automatically have their UMAT scores cancelled and may be prohibited from registering to take UMAT on a future occasion."

So I would not recommend you sitting UMAT in Year 11 because it will destroy all of your chances of getting into undergraduate medicine, which is what you want. Prepare in Year 11 all you like, but don't sit it until Year 12.

Kaatie

HSC
i have the ACER booklets from 2009 which you could buy as well as the booklets when you register in 2011. dont think you can buy them without registering? i think every applicant orders these. btw reselling these hardcopy ACER booklets is completely legal, doesnt conflict with the new UMAT materials copyright thingy. but yes the practice booklets would be the first thing. and since they only give answers not worked answers i would keep at it until you understand every question, trust me that will take awhile, theres always a few that seem impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)