HELP: I failed first year commerce/law at Sydney, what do I do? (1 Viewer)

spyris

HSC
Hi everyone,
I'm at USYD doing commerce/law degree and I failed subjects including law. What can I do to change this and are my chances of getting a job after uni little to none?

Thanks in advance

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Can you change to a single degree? Cos it sounds like you should. Just focus on completing one with satisfactory grades, then worry about a job.

spyris

HSC
It's not the workload that's a problem, i had other circumstances going on around the house, im hoping to smash this year but im not sure how much it would improve my gpa and that and also if fails stay on your record

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends how bad it is including your marks, not just fail grades. If there was some circumstance that was out of your control and already discussed this with a doctor/counsellor, you can revoke those grades/marks off your transcript.

Otherwise, depending on the marks and grades and how many you failed, it's best to keep up with this year's academic and transfer possibly to UNSW Comm/Law to not jeopardise your transfer. You can do credit transfers afterwards

spyris

HSC
Hey sirable1, i was going to try and transfer to UNSW, but I didn't think I would make it, if I were to do better this year and transfer to UNSW, would I have to start again and what are credit transfers

Alkanes

HSC
Tbh no biggie failing a few subjects first year. Just make sure you don't fail it again and get an extremely good mark when you repeat the subject. It shows that you've improved, and that back then you had some personal problems. Take it easy.

And. You can't remove a fail. All attempts at a course (pass, fail, withdrawal after census date, wihdrawal with academic and financial penalty, special exams, sup exams) remains on your transcript.

spyris

HSC
If I transferred to unsw would I get a fresh start, and if I were to transfer would they count what I have already completed

Weeber

HSC
N/A
If I transferred to unsw would I get a fresh start, and if I were to transfer would they count what I have already completed
They will count your WAM for whatever courses you completed only if you have done more than 1 full year worth of study (48 credit points) or else they use your ATAR.

And if you transfer, you will get a clean transcript @ UNSW only if you have completed less than 1 year of studies.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe law isn't for you. Try pharmacy (it's the closest to med/law on the prestige scale). But you might not (most likely won't) get a job.

spyris

HSC
I understand your points and where you guys are coming from (and thanks for providing advice) but I want to stay at Sydney and give it my best. Right now my marks are basically 50 having completed first year, so my wam is pretty low. So what I'm trying to say is what do employers look at and would my position right now jeopardise my future employment prospects? Also what marks would I need to get to end up with a high wam or is it too late?

Thanks

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe law isn't for you. Try pharmacy (it's the closest to med/law on the prestige scale). But you might not (most likely won't) get a job.
Pharmacy? You've got to be joking... It's like a general science/medical science degree these days! I was actually offered Pharmacy last year, and I'm so glad that I declined the offer.

Hi everyone,
I'm at USYD doing commerce/law degree and I failed subjects including law. What can I do to change this and are my chances of getting a job after uni little to none?
Thanks in advance
Bro, you're still pretty young and it's OK to make these mistakes now and learn from them. Maybe law isn't for you! If so, then transfer into something where your passion lies! If you're still uncertain, maybe combine something with Commerce that you're interested in - e.g. Science or perhaps Engineering i.e. if you're a maths person! Or just drop down to a single degree of Commerce altogether. When you postulate "I failed subjects including law"; how many subjects are we talking about here? Did you fail all of your Law subjects? If so, then I recommend that you discontinue Law. If you failed only a couple of Law and Commerce subjects (e.g. 1-3/8); then maybe giving up isn't a great idea after all! Work hard next year and see how you go, and if you further fail subjects, then maybe contemplate dropping Law. Wishing you the very best :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)