HELP! I need to advice about transferring/degree choice (1 Viewer)

rossverg

HSC
velox said:
They both compete for the same amount of spots.

Velox- are you sure about this? Do you have alink or something that says it from the UAC just for confirmation? So in this case, a person trying to transfer would have the same chance as hsc leavers in getting into a course - it jsut depends on their marks?

hellomike

HSC
You should kind of sit down adn think it really carefully because you don't want to end up someone who likes transferring every year for your life.

If you got admission into Pharmacy, would you be interested in becoming a Pharmacist or working in Pharmacy? Because although you have enjoyed chemistry and physics, it won't be as black and white and Pharmacy will take it up a notch. If you still want to do Pharmacy then go for it but if you decide it's not as snazzy as it sounds, you still have to do well in it to transfer. I'm saying you have to to super-duper well but it's quite obvious you can't fail or just pass right lol?

rossverg

HSC
hellomike said:
You should kind of sit down adn think it really carefully because you don't want to end up someone who likes transferring every year for your life.

If you got admission into Pharmacy, would you be interested in becoming a Pharmacist or working in Pharmacy? Because although you have enjoyed chemistry and physics, it won't be as black and white and Pharmacy will take it up a notch. If you still want to do Pharmacy then go for it but if you decide it's not as snazzy as it sounds, you still have to do well in it to transfer. I'm saying you have to to super-duper well but it's quite obvious you can't fail or just pass right lol?

Hmm yeah you are exactly right - I don't want to transfer between degrees like that. I think I really need to have a careful think about all of this.... And like you said transferring won't be easy if I need to get a D avergae which at uni is hard. I think I'm overestimating the ability to transfer lol

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
rossverg said:
Velox- are you sure about this? Do you have alink or something that says it from the UAC just for confirmation? So in this case, a person trying to transfer would have the same chance as hsc leavers in getting into a course - it jsut depends on their marks?
I dont, but I am correct, for most degrees anyway. There are a few which have a NRSL quota like UWA MBBS program, but that has been abolished now.

hellomike

HSC
rossverg said:
Hmm yeah you are exactly right - I don't want to transfer between degrees like that. I think I really need to have a careful think about all of this.... And like you said transferring won't be easy if I need to get a D avergae which at uni is hard. I think I'm overestimating the ability to transfer lol

Sorry lol, I meant you don't have to do super-duper well. Don't try and think in terms of numbers - if you apply yourself and work hard like you did in Year 12 than it isn't such a concern. On the other note, don't worry about the spot number. Alot of things come into it. Just do well yourself - I mean you can't really worry about anyone else...

rossverg

HSC
hellomike said:
Sorry lol, I meant you don't have to do super-duper well. Don't try and think in terms of numbers - if you apply yourself and work hard like you did in Year 12 than it isn't such a concern. On the other note, don't worry about the spot number. Alot of things come into it. Just do well yourself - I mean you can't really worry about anyone else...
phew that sounds ok then lol
And yeah what your saying does make sense. Hopefully I will sort myself out within the next few days and see where I go from there

rossverg

HSC
velox said:
I dont, but I am correct, for most degrees anyway. There are a few which have a NRSL quota like UWA MBBS program, but that has been abolished now.

That's ok. I'm sure i'll find out all of that at a later date anyway if I choose to transfer.

hellomike

HSC
I'll shed some light for you on B. Pharmacy if you'll like to know. If you don't gain entry into this course first time round and you decide it will be a transfer into course, your UAI won't be considered. You will have to sit a STAT test. With this and your GPA will be looked at. This is all from the UAC book by the way - it says you need a Distinction Average but from my view, it's more like recommended. If you achieved a high credit, it's probably good enough.

STAT test is a competency based test.

hellomike

HSC
This is going to be my last post as I think I've said alot lol.

I think it's fairly easy enough where you can take the Pharmacy course or the Law degree.

Optometry was another option you mentioned. If you wanted to do this, you would have to do B. Science (UNSW) and major in Vision Science. However, in the end you will have to apply to UAC again, they don't let internal transfers. *Eyes rolling*.

I'll say rule out Optometry because it's a pain in the arse.

rossverg

HSC
hellomike said:
I'll shed some light for you on B. Pharmacy if you'll like to know. If you don't gain entry into this course first time round and you decide it will be a transfer into course, your UAI won't be considered. You will have to sit a STAT test. With this and your GPA will be looked at. This is all from the UAC book by the way - it says you need a Distinction Average but from my view, it's more like recommended. If you achieved a high credit, it's probably good enough.

STAT test is a competency based test.

Oh you're talking about if I don't get into pharmacy and how I can transfer into it? I already did the stat test and thought I did well so that's why I reckon I will probably get into that. And yeah if you can tell me anymore about the BPharm course it would be great But thanks for the info already provided

rossverg

HSC
hellomike said:
This is going to be my last post as I think I've said alot lol.

I think it's fairly easy enough where you can take the Pharmacy course or the Law degree.

Optometry was another option you mentioned. If you wanted to do this, you would have to do B. Science (UNSW) and major in Vision Science. However, in the end you will have to apply to UAC again, they don't let internal transfers. *Eyes rolling*.

I'll say rule out Optometry because it's a pain in the arse.

Yep thanks for that info too. Like you said before, it is jsut a matter now of thinking carefully and decided what I am going to do. I only wish I had got all of this right in the first place lol...

aaa666

iverson
HSC
velox said:
woah srsly dude r u sure?? i was of an opinion they compete seperately. im pretty sure thats the case with law cause u need only a nsrl of 96+ to get in nd the uai is 99.6 - not much of an idea with other courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)