Help im a year 11 student sturgglign with SDD (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
Im learning VB
Im very lost
I had trouble with Q basic

Anyway ...
i just need help with how to get the program ( downloading ) etc.
and a website that helps newbs like me with VB

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Merforga
Vb is just easier to use.
though , VB6 gets you in the bad habit of doing things that aren't OOP, i know some people's transition from VB6 to fully OOP was a little hard, esp when in VB6, showing a form was just FormName.Show, while in fully OOP you have to instantiate an instance of the form yourself.

jason120au

HSC
VB is quite easy, much easier then others like PHP which I can't understand at all. Partly because I did some programming in Year 10 before the beginning of the HSC.

You've got to remember to declare your variables before you begin using the program and remember to use "Meaningful variable Names". You do this under the general tab at the top of the coding window.

Even though I have probably got this wrong but if you are assigning values in which you set to a text box that is drawn on the screen

it is just say
Price = txtprice.text
Remember the .text part is the property you want VB to get data out of.

VB as people have said annoyingly guides you through typing values it thinks you want to use. But it isn't as bad as some programs, ie MS word.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by jason120au
VB is quite easy, much easier then others like PHP which I can't understand at all.
I'm not quite sure about that - PHP seems to have a function for almost everything!

jason120au

HSC
Your probably right, but whenever I code in PHP it usually never works. I really need to do a course in it.

acidicFury

Originally posted by Winston
though , VB6 gets you in the bad habit of doing things that aren't OOP, i know some people's transition from VB6 to fully OOP was a little hard, esp when in VB6, showing a form was just FormName.Show, while in fully OOP you have to instantiate an instance of the form yourself.
Do you know much about OOP yourself?

I don't really see many bad habits that could be developed from using FormName.show - it's used inside a function. Classes will be made up from functions/methods, with the class needing an object instantiated of it before the methods can be called. Nothing hard if you understand your classes & objects and the differences between them.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by acidicFury
Do you know much about OOP yourself?

I don't really see many bad habits that could be developed from using FormName.show - it's used inside a function. Classes will be made up from functions/methods, with the class needing an object instantiated of it before the methods can be called. Nothing hard if you understand your classes & objects and the differences between them.

It's bad habit in terms of transition, some people who have started off in VB and have stayed in there and moving to fully OOP would find it difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)