• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help! Major in Economics or Political Economy? (1 Viewer)

polarcola

HSC
Hey! So I'm only a first year so my panic may be premature but I'm agonising over whether I should major in economics or political economy. I took ECOP1001 last semester and while I enjoyed it, I feel as if ECOP is a lot more abstract, and less practical, than ECON in the long run.

The problem is, I haven't taken any ECON subjects yet and if I do want to major in economics, that means I'll have to try and find a way to cram in any prerequisite subjects I possibly can this semester before the deadline for adding subjects/withdrawing.

So, thoughts on the matter? I'd love to hear anybody's opinion.

(Already posted in the Arts Faculty board but I'd love an Economics and Business Faculty perspective on the issue). Thanks!

Japanese_rambo

HSC
N/A
Hey whatever you choose will be good.
I think that ECON is something that you need a solid maths background in. So if this is you, go with ECONOMICS as it undoubtedly allows for more employment opportunities than economic politics. ECOP is still a very satisfying major though, particularly if you like talking -ism's.

williamc

HSC
It depends. The stuff you learn in first year ECON is super dooper boring tbh. It livens up in second year and actually becomes quite challenging and interesting ( maths intensive however). You would think an ECON major would have greater job opportunities than an ECOP major, but that shouldn't deter you too much.

I say wait until you are atleast in your second year before you make your choice. Get a better gist of some 1st and 2nd year ECON and ECOP units (even if it adds a semester to your degree, its worth it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)