Help me out please :) (1 Viewer)

bling05

HSC
Ok I need some advice regarding subject choices in year 12.

Currently in year 11 I do 13 units:
Eng Adv
EngX
General Maths
Business Studies
Modern History
Economics
Society and Culture
____

I'm definitely going to drop Society and Culture which will bring me down to 11 units, I'd also like to pick up Extension 2 English and Extension History, which will bring me back up to 13 units. I'd then like to drop one of General Maths, Business Studies or Economics to drop back to 11 units.

My question is - how important is scaling?

Currently I'm topping in Gen Maths, however I'm leaning towards dropping it as I don't need Maths for what I want to do after school. If I'm doing very well though, should I keep it?

My only concern is because it is so easy I will lack motivation and I won't work hard enough, leading to a shit mark because I'd get scaled down?

11 units really seems appealing to me, as 13 seems like a bitching amount of work considering I'd be doing a whole 1.5 subjects which wouldn't be counting.

I'm really enjoying Bus Studies, and enjoying Economics - so what do I do, should I drop Maths, or drop Economics which I'm not doing as well in however I believe I can do well through hard work....and it scales well :)

Thanks in advance.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Scaling is useless if you get 0 or 100 ... if you really cared about scaling you should have done some extensions of languages, 2U Mathematics (maybe even Maths Ext. 1) or some sciences such as Biology, Chemistry or Physics ... and you can't pick up Extension 2 courses in the Preliminary course ... if you enjoy your course and it scales well, its a bonus, if you do well, that's even better.

Last edited:

bling05

HSC
Come to think of it, the real question I need answered is - General Maths, I'm topping, don't need it for Uni or potential career, drop it or keep it?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Many people who chose General Maths would think it is easy but in the end find it quite difficult (applies to at least half of all the Year 12 in my school, they have not even seen 2U Maths).

But if you are doing well at it and you are sure you don't need 2U Mathematics as a prerequisite for a university course, why not keep it if you really do find it easy ?

On the other hand, if your desired university course was not meant to be your destined one, 2U Maths is a prerequisite in many courses and your alternative choices may happen to have 2U Maths as a prerequisite.

HSC
scaling's not really that important at all. figure out what you are good at and enjoy doing most. that's the best indicator of what you should study in year 12. you've got few months to figure all that in, there's no rush :)

yosemite sam

HSC
I would drop either business or eco, probably eco because if you're good at general then keeping it doesnt make a huge difference to the amount of work you need to do.... homework stays on the minimal side and study for assessments isnt a major issue, whereas business and eco are subjects that involve shitloads more work and time put in, and just because you enjoy them now doesnt mean you will halfway through next year (trust me on that one). And if youre thinking of picking up extension english and history, they both have major works and modern is content driven as well, whereas general you can get by with minimal effort if youre good at it, especially since youre given the formulae in the exams and stuff. god i love general.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
and you can't pick up Extension 2 courses in the Preliminary course
WTF. I don't see the relevance of this, since the OP isn't even talking about Preliminary.

OP: Drop whichever one you like least. If you like them all, then I seriously reccomend you don't consider dropping any. You may find you dislike EE2 or History Extension, so I say go into Year 12 with 13 units and see how you like your subjects, then drop accordingly. :)

W.L

HSC
is there any sort of list in here showing the most scaled subject to the least scaled? .. everyone has a general idea about scaling, but it doesn't seem to be written down. =/ i bet it would help students if there was one, but then again it might not.. off topic but i didn't want to make a new thread cus i think i've made too many haha..

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
W.L said:
is there any sort of list in here showing the most scaled subject to the least scaled? .. everyone has a general idea about scaling, but it doesn't seem to be written down. =/ i bet it would help students if there was one, but then again it might not.. off topic but i didn't want to make a new thread cus i think i've made too many haha..
http://boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php =]

tara2713

HSC
Hi,
even though you dont need maths for university, becasue if your doing really well it bump you UAI up high. dropping it eliminates this chance. If your not doing real well in economics and think you could work harder but might slack off then its the one to drop.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
watatank said:
if the OP doesn't drop anything he will be on 15 units.
He already said he wants to drop Society, so yeah, it is 13 units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)