Help Multiple Choice. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
question 1

first current is flowing in such a way that it acts downwards, with gravity i.e. the combined force is 'gravity + motor effect'

F=mg+BIl
0.12=mg+5B

second current is flowing in such a way that it acts upwards, against gravity i.e. the combined force is 'gravity - motor effect'

F=mg-BIl
0.08=mg-5B

solving simultaneously

mg=0.12-5B
mg=0.08+5B

0.12-5B=0.08+5B

B=4*10^(-3)

HSC
Uni Grad
question 2

wire Y is pulled to the left by wire X,

since is just some constant for both cases, we'll just call it 'c' because i can't be bothered to type all that shit up i.e.

-----

wire Y is pushed to the left by wire Z, distance =2d

-----

blackratpoo

HSC
question 2

F/l= (kI1I2)/d

So you calculate individually the force btw X and Y and then individually for Y and Z. So variables we dont need are I1 and I2 as all currents are equal. We dont need K really as its a constant but keep it anyway so there is something on top. So F/l = k/d.

So for X and Y F = k/0.5 and Y and Z F= k/1. So for X and Y, resultant is 0.5F. And for Y and Z, reusltant is 1F.

Because X and Y attract and Y and Z repel you add the result. Think of where Y will move on an individual basis. When X and Y attract Y will move to the left. Likewise when Y and Z repel, Y will again move to the left. Thus both forces act on Y in the same direction.. Hence, add.

1F + 0.5F = 1.5F

Therefore C is the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)