• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help needed about carbon dioxide in blood (1 Viewer)

lastchance

HSC
Does anyone know the difference between [FONT=&quot]carbaminohaemoglobin and carboxyhaeomglobin[/FONT][FONT=&quot]??? or are they the same thing?

Any help would be much appreciated! =)
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Felix Jones

HSC
"Carbaminohemoglobin (also known as carbhemoglobin and carbohemoglobin) is a compound of hemoglobin and carbon dioxide, which is one of the forms in which carbon dioxide exists in the blood. Binding to carbon dioxide lowers hemogobin's affinity for oxygen when carbaminohemoglobin is formed, via the Bohr Effect. When hemoglobin is not bound to oxygen is has a higher tendency to become carbaminohemoglobin, an effect known as the Haldane Effect." (wikipedia)

"Carboxyhemoglobin (British English: Carboxyhaemoglobin) (COHb) is a stable complex of carbon monoxide and hemoglobin that forms in red blood cells when carbon monoxide is inhaled, and hinders delivery of oxygen to the body. Tobacco smoking (through carbon monoxide inhalation) raises the blood levels of COHb." (wikipedia)

hope it helps :D

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
We get this from Chem... I mean, my tutoring class. It's worth knowing since CO is poisonous and its effect is totally different from that of CO2.

lastchance

HSC
Well great it's not needed! Well I havn't heard it used in chem before so i'm scratcuing all that from my memory (not that I've actually remembered it yet)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
You can check buffer in nature in Pathways CHem by Thickett. That's really really really cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)